Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaving because you finally have to pay

I've debated with myself whether to post on this subject, but since more posts on this topic keep popping up, and after reading 2 new ones this morning I decided it was time to speak out from the other side of the issue.

I will speak only for myself, but I know there are others exactly like me and think and feel like I do. I bought the game pre-launch and have paid for a monthly sub fee since the very start. That was the bargain I made with Notorious Games - I'll buy your game & pay you a monthly fee as long as I want to play YOUR GAME. That seemed fair to me. I've always paid my own way. I do not expect someone to provide me entertainment or a service that I don't pay for. Simply put TANSTAAFL.

I have no problem with people who have decided that the game is either not for them, or the "Prelude" period of the game is not meeting their expectations and decide to cancel their subscription and not play the game. But, and this is a very big but, I have a problem with people who bought the game and cancelled their monthly subscription and continued to play for free. Then they have the hubris to proceed to post "goodbye" threads complaining or trying to justify why they don't want to keep their side of the bargain...

The arrogance is mind blowing!!!

I'm going to draw you a picture or a comparison to show you what I mean.

There was a brand new theatre that opened. It was an exciting new revolutionary type of theatre that was going to be producing a unique kind of entertainment. The theatre owners were a small group, so in order to keep their enterprise going they decided to open the theatre before it was quite finished and charge a one time investment fee and a monthly fee to the people who wanted a unique kind of entertainment. The people who invested & paid the monthly fee could come & go anytime they wanted for their particular brand of entertainment - it was open 24/7.

Some people who invested in the theatre decided that the entertainment wasn't what they liked so they cancelled....You with me? Good.

Well what happened next is pretty slimy, but it did happen. The people who cancelled their monthly sub fee wandered down the alley behind the theatre one day and discovered the back door had been left unlocked. So they peaked in, and low and behold the theatre had several people there who had entered through the front door and were enjoying the entertainment. They thought to themselves....Hey!! I'll just sneak in and I won't have to pay. People, that is what you did, it's as simple as that.

My question to those of you who snuck in the back door is this. If you aren't willing to pay the "ticket price" now, why did you sneak in the back door and steal the entertainment? You must have seen some value or you wouldn't have wasted so much of your personal time on not being entertained.

China

I have to agree. I wish the date would of been January first but oh well. I have bought premium play time and was playing on a account that had free play time like so many others. If they had done this a year prior I could see all the rage and goodbyes but taking in to account the content thats been added and is in the works along with bug/crash fixes, I'm quite pleased.

+1

I too fully believe in paying my own way. I have 2 accounts, so obviously felt that the value I was getting was well worth the money.

But let me give you something further to think about.

The rest of the game world has set the stage for peoples expectations. Most of them have open beta tests when they feel the game is ready to be seen, and then a free trial to see if the game is your cup of tea afterwards.

This game however is not your average game nor is this company average. As a small independent game company I truly believe what they have accomplished is quite amazing. And many of us will agree with that comment. However, most of us are also not average players.

Most of those "average" players are upset because they perceive this game as any other. It should be free if still in beta ( which is how many view prelude ) and at least should have a free trial. It really does not matter that it was openly published the nature of prelude or that things are MEANT to change and improve. They have already been trained by all the other games they have played.

Atm, Jordi and his team are in a very tough spot. They really need to implement the changes he last mentioned to improve the over all playability and retention factors to give the game a chance of success.

The majority of current players have been here almost a year after release, and only now see them closing in on what they needed to do at release. This has caused much of the reactions you are seeing now.

Paying for the game now after not being charged is not actually like sneeking in to the theater. In reality it is more like the management of the theater was simply letting some folks in and not charging others. They all came in through the front door.

I personally agree with you china, that I would rather pay to get the benefit of playing here. But can you really blame someone for taking advantage of free time IF its what the owners gave them? isn't that exactly what a free trial is all about? And if they messed up on the billing system and chose to not bill everyone until it was fixed, that certainly not the players fault.

I also agree that if the reason a player not complains is because they have to play, after knowing what the scoop is, well, then I don't have a lot of compassion for them. Shoot, I even complained because I was NOT paying for one of my accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    The rest of the game world has set the stage for peoples expectations. Most of them have open beta tests when they feel the game is ready to be seen, and then a free trial to see if the game is your cup of tea afterwards.
    February 2011 was a free trial Mac. I played the game that month along with a few others in my tribe. So your point is invalid.

This game however is not your average game nor is this company average. As a small independent game company I truly believe what they have accomplished is quite amazing. And many of us will agree with that comment. However, most of us are also not average players.
    Sorry...another invalid point. I've played a bunch...I mean a bunch of games, and this is not an insult to anyone, but the players in Xsyon are pretty average in my book. But more importantly, so what? Being average or above or below average doesn't make a bit of difference in the price of beans.

Most of those "average" players are upset because they perceive this game as any other. It should be free if still in beta ( which is how many view prelude ) and at least should have a free trial. It really does not matter that it was openly published the nature of prelude or that things are MEANT to change and improve. They have already been trained by all the other games they have played.
    Then they should have been here in February. I was. I've missed a bunch of betas and still played a game when the companies put a price tag on it.

Let's stick to reality here and not make up things or try and re-write history, Mac.

The majority of current players have been here almost a year after release, and only now see them closing in on what they needed to do at release. This has caused much of the reactions you are seeing now.
    I'm not buying it. They want something for free. I'm out there in the public every day and see this type of behavior all the time. The moment they have to pay for something they moan & groan - bicker about the price, tell you your product isn't worth it. Yeah right. If it wasn't worth it why the hell were they using it??? Answer me that. You can't because I'm right.

Paying for the game now after not being charged is not actually like sneeking in to the theater. In reality it is more like the management of the theater was simply letting some folks in and not charging others. They all came in through the front door.
    Again I disagree. I didn't know about ALL the free accounts until a month ago, and you know Mac I get around. So it was some sort of hush hush secret. If it was on the up and up why weren't people blabbing it - why wasn't NG blabbing it? I'll tell you why, because it was SNEAKING. And in my book, plain & simple - it was stealing too.

I personally agree with you china, that I would rather pay to get the benefit of playing here. But can you really blame someone for taking advantage of free time IF its what the owners gave them? isn't that exactly what a free trial is all about? And if they messed up on the billing system and chose to not bill everyone until it was fixed, that certainly not the players fault.
    You're damn right I blame them. Because if it was so friggin free why did I and a bunch of others pay for it every month.

You know, Mac I'm pretty plain spoken. I call it like I see it - there may be some who don't like what I have to say, but you won't find anyone that will ever say that I'm not a stand-up person.

China

This is how I see it.

People buy the game play it, and were going to quit. But there was free time, so they sorta played or played however long etc.
    Now the game still isnt where they feel they would want to play it for a cost. So they are quitting. I see this as a normal thing not something "Mind blowing" its common sense to me.

Some people were playing for free that would gladly pay for it, others wouldnt pay for it as they feel its not something worth the cost or expense.
    People have been saying this for a long time, the game isnt ready to retain paying players, very few people play this game let alone pay for it.

I know Im beating the dead horse here, but again. This is what you guys wanted. The carebears brought this, PVPers have been saying this since day 1. It needs strife, it needs the features that were listed at the start of the game when 1000s of people bought the game.

Running around, building things for looks, little to no resource control, broken looting system, death porting, no good/evil system etc. All these things are missing which were meant to be in the game.

There are no resources to control, the combat is still not balanced. The game was meant to be little grind yet its very grindy.

You are getting upset at the players, and again its not the players you should be upset with. I believe Xsyon is lucky to have players willing to play and help progress the game. Many players put in a lot of time reporting bugs, and trying to help players learn the game.

Maybe with totem decay, and a few of the other things people will want to come play more. But even myself I'm finding it hard to play anymore. Too few people wanting to play the game how it should be, so they are asking for easy mode.

I have been paying and playing on my accounts since launch. I heard a few months ago that there were some who were not being charged and were still able to login. Somewhere on this forum, Xsyon announced that free time would be given to those who were being charged, to balance things out. Sorry, I dont have the inclination to go and find the link. So, since I have paid my dues, I am now looking for my free time since the account system has been cleared up. If I am wrong about my assumption, then i will indeed be upset.

I seem to have touched a nerve there girl... was not my intention.

It is certainly NOT fair that some paid and some did not. Yes people will try and get everything for free if they can and NO it not right, acceptable or moral.

but... Let me ask it this way...

If you only learned of this situation a month ago, how many others didn't even have a clue?

Is it possible those same players maybe assumed that the "free" time mentioned on the forums, might be the reason they were not charged?

Is it even possible that some were shocked because they don't follow the forums and may not even know what you are even talking about?

Sure, I bet that some were doing exactly what you say, giggling there butts off at not having to pay, that is a primary reason many play open betas... cuz it be free. But I can also say that some probably were unaware.

Maybe you are right... everyone is totally in it for themselves.

I think I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    I seem to have touched a nerve there girl... was not my intention.

It is certainly NOT fair that some paid and some did not. Yes people will try and get everything for free if they can and NO it not right, acceptable or moral.

but... Let me ask it this way...

If you only learned of this situation a month ago, how many others didn't even have a clue?

Is it possible those same players maybe assumed that the "free" time mentioned on the forums, might be the reason they were not charged?

Is it even possible that some were shocked because they don't follow the forums and may not even know what you are even talking about?

Sure, I bet that some were doing exactly what you say, giggling there butts off at not having to pay, that is a primary reason many play open betas... cuz it be free. But I can also say that some probably were unaware.

Maybe you are right... everyone is totally in it for themselves.

I think I'm done.
    I believe what you say about all the possibities in your post, could of and probably did happen, Mac. I'm not mad that I paid and others didn't - it's all about being able to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning for me. What I started the thread for and tried to say, maybe not as good as I could have, was there were some hypocrits out their posting their "goodbye posts" and stating that they were leaving because they were going to be charged for something that they only found value in for free.

I'm going to say this one more time or ask it. If you got no entertainment value, why the heck were you wasting your time here? I know that those posting those things are about as altruistic as Donald Trump. In other words self-serving (deleted word).

Peace,

China

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    I believe what you say about all the possibities in your post, could of and probably did happen, Mac. I'm not mad that I paid and others didn't - it's all about being able to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning for me. What I started the thread for and tried to say, maybe not as good as I could have, was there were some hypocrits out their posting their "goodbye posts" and stating that they were leaving because they were going to be charged for something that they only found value in for free.

I'm going to say this one more time or ask it. If you got no entertainment value, why the heck were you wasting your time here? I know that those posting those things are about as altruistic as Donald Trump. In other words self-serving (deleted word).

Peace,

China

I dont think its self serving at all. Most people dont like to just randomly throw their money away.

Using your first post and the movies analogy.

People bought tickets to the movie 3D Avatar. They get into their seats and not only is it not avatar, but its in black and white with no sound. So many people just got up and left, some asked for a refund. Others just figured "Hey we are here, might as well watch it, we already paid 40$"

Now they watch the black and white movie thats not avatar without sound and the projector guy yells out a few times they got this or that working and found the right movie. So now they are watching Avatar in black in white with some of the sounds working. But they want you to pay some more for the new stuff they added.

Some people said well, I dont think I want to watch Avatar in black in white so we just going to leave, now that we have to pay more.
    A couple of people, figure "Hey what the heck, we saw another movie and this is the one we wanted, sure its not perfect but worth the effort".

That's how I see how people are viewing what's going on. 1000s of people already left the game because of the features list no correctly showing what was in game. Now they have some of the features better, and a few people are still playing it.

I see nothing wrong with people waiting to pay to play until the features they were told would be in the game and working are in the game and working. I look at most of this time like a paid beta.

11. 12-28-2011, 09:05 PM