Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loading Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Because you would still have 2 to 5mins of loading times vs someone coming to rez you and heal you up. Which could take seconds.
    Also if you had death punishments (like the one I listed above) you would have to suffer those also.
    ah, ok, I think I get it. So it's an option for the losing player. Say Keith bonks me on the head (please don't ), I have the option of making his strike a "deathblow" and get outta there in 30s... or I can not click that option and wait the full 2mins before it goes to reload screen in the hopes someone (perhaps Keith) takes pity and revives me.

Is that right?
    Maybe include the option to refuse revival so I'm not stuck there getting bonked/revived repeatedly?

So this would cut down on load time if a revive is available, and travel time if revive is available.

If revive is not programatically feasible for some reason(or would take a very long time to implement), does anyone like the portable spawn cart idea as a shorter term stopgap? Wouldn't save on reload time, but would save on travel time until the pvp opponents discover its location(s).
    I think players didn't always respawn at their totem so there must already be something in the code to bind respawn location?

not really looking at death punishments just yet so we can hopefully stay on target with what Keith was talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    I don't follow you, are you talking about specific items or all items?
    ALL items even the ones you are wearing and the ones in your inventory (to help prevent deathporting with 1800 Leather).

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    ah, ok, I think I get it. So it's an option for the losing player. Say Keith bonks me on the head (please don't ), I have the option of making his strike a "deathblow" and get outta there in 30s... or I can not click that option and wait the full 2mins before it goes to reload screen in the hopes someone (perhaps Keith) takes pity and revives me.

Is that right?
    Maybe include the option to refuse revival so I'm not stuck there getting bonked/revived repeatedly?

So this would cut down on load time if a revive is available, and travel time if revive is available.

If revive is not programatically feasible for some reason(or would take a very long time to implement), does anyone like the portable spawn cart idea as a shorter term stopgap? Wouldn't save on reload time, but would save on travel time until the pvp opponents discover its location(s).
    I think players didn't always respawn at their totem so there must already be something in the code to bind respawn location?

not really looking at death punishments just yet so we can hopefully stay on target with what Keith was talking about...

There are 2 things here.

1) Deathblow = Action the attacker does to prevent you from getting back up without another player using rez powers on you (rez powers can be a spell, bandages, potions, herbs etc) If you dont recieve a deathblow you can get back up off the ground after 30s. (With the option to tap out if you dont want to get back up, as you said to prevent repeat knockdowns) If you do tap out, you must still wait the 30s.
    2) If knocked down player is delivered a deathblow by ANY person (doesnt have to be the one that knocked you down) you will not get back up after 30s. You have between the time you are knocked down, to up to 2mins to get rez'd (again someone other than yourself using spells, bandages, potions, herbs etc). If you choose not to wait the full 2mins, you can tap out after 30s and return to your totem.

This system above, is what I believe Xsyon was wanting to do but didnt get to it. He wanted people to be knocked out, and able not always to fight to the death.

Players currently always respawn at their own totem. If they have no totem, they respawn on founders isle.

I dont like the portable cart respawn as there is no way to prevent someone from parting it 2feet outside your tribe and respawning over and over.

This system is a little different than DarkFalls, but the concept is the same.

In Darkfall, you would be knocked down on the ground for 2mins, if you dont tap out you will at the end of 2mins respawn at your bind-stone. Other players can rez you.
    If another player "ganks" your deathblows you, you would instantly be respawned, no chance for rez.

Xsyon Citizen
    ALL items even the ones you are wearing and the ones in your inventory (to help prevent deathporting with 1800 Leather).
    So your saying 1800 leather are good items? No offence but this is nonsense.
    Why do you need to have items decay on death-port if all you have to do is to have a check for how much you can carry, even from basket to basket transform, just like if you pick rocks and it would let you pick so much before refuse to pick more?
    And what happen when we get heavy stuff from Guides as a reward of some kind? Like we got tar from last knights test help.

So your saying 1800 leather are good items? No offence but this is nonsense.
    Why do you need to have items decay on death-port if all you have to do is to have a check for how much you can carry, even from basket to basket transform, just like if you pick rocks and it would let you pick so much before refuse to pick more?
    And what happen when we get heavy stuff from Guides as a reward of some kind? Like we got tar from last knights test help.
    It shouldnt matter if they are "good stuff" or not. I'm not sure what moving from basket to basket has to do with this.
    If you pick up 1800 leather, and die you will right now be transported any length back to your totem, it could be 11 zones. This isn't good for many reasons, which I wont debate here. As it would derail the topic.

If you get heavy stuff from the guides, mostly they teleport people back to their tribes, being teleported isn't the same as dying. Deathporting will cause the decay, not being transported by guide powers.
    If the guides don't see fit to teleport people that means, it should be transported using in game tools, (like carts or players, and later I expect boats, pack animals etc).

There are 2 things here.

1) Deathblow = Action the attacker does to prevent you from getting back up without another player using rez powers on you (rez powers can be a spell, bandages, potions, herbs etc) If you dont recieve a deathblow you can get back up off the ground after 30s. (With the option to tap out if you dont want to get back up, as you said to prevent repeat knockdowns) If you do tap out, you must still wait the 30s.
    2) If knocked down player is delivered a deathblow by ANY person (doesnt have to be the one that knocked you down) you will not get back up after 30s. You have between the time you are knocked down, to up to 2mins to get rez'd (again someone other than yourself using spells, bandages, potions, herbs etc). If you choose not to wait the full 2mins, you can tap out after 30s and return to your totem.

This system above, is what I believe Xsyon was wanting to do but didnt get to it. He wanted people to be knocked out, and able not always to fight to the death.
    Ah, ok, thanks, I get it. It does seem somewhat superfluous in the situations Keith was talking about since the fundamental mechanic really is the revive. In a pvp battle situation, people will use the deathblow. Why wouldn't they? Which pretty much brings it to what Keith was talking about.
    I can see the value in what you're saying for friendl(ier) duels though. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

Players currently always respawn at their own totem. If they have no totem, they respawn on founders isle.

I dont like the portable cart respawn as there is no way to prevent someone from parting it 2feet outside your tribe and respawning over and over.
    That's why I brought up the spawn binds being already somewhere in the code. They had a mechanism that spawned people back at their dead bodies, which could be anywhere on the map, before implementing the current spawn at totem system. I can't remember if you had said you were there for that, but anyway, that means there already exists the code-base to implement binding a player's spawn at a particular and temporary location. Anytime you can recycle code will be that much faster to push out.

The idea that they can respawn near you would kinda be the idea I know it's a bad thing in a griefing situation but having to travel all the way across the map to re-engage is one of the things Keith brought up as being one of the major frustrations of any previous pvp-exodus. (at least I think Keith was the one who said it, I'm starving, cut me some slack)

I was just thinking this might be a quick(er) fix if an influx of affected players might be coming in soon. *shrug* throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

Either way, Keith's point is a good one for pvper's, and I think for pve players as well when going on a long roadtrip together.

I also like the strategic considerations of these spawn thingies but that's a completely different story and so totally doesn't belong here

Ah, ok, thanks, I get it. It does seem somewhat superfluous in the situations Keith was talking about since the fundamental mechanic really is the revive. In a pvp battle situation, people will use the deathblow. Why wouldn't they? Which pretty much brings it to what Keith was talking about.
    I can see the value in what you're saying for friendl(ier) duels though. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future.
    I think there might be some confusion still.

If someone deathblows you, it doesnt send you to your totem, it just makes it so that you cant get up on your own. You need outside help (like he said in the OP), I added the self rez (sorta) option with IF NO DEATHBLOW, you can get back up off the ground by yourself.

If someone does a deathblow it will work just like the OP said. Where someone (other than yourself) can revive you.

That's why I brought up the spawn binds being already somewhere in the code. They had a mechanism that spawned people back at their dead bodies, which could be anywhere on the map, before implementing the current spawn at totem system. I can't remember if you had said you were there for that, but anyway, that means there already exists the code-base to implement binding a player's spawn at a particular and temporary location. Anytime you can recycle code will be that much faster to push out.

The idea that they can respawn near you would kinda be the idea I know it's a bad thing in a griefing situation but having to travel all the way across the map to re-engage is one of the things Keith brought up as being one of the major frustrations of any previous pvp-exodus. (at least I think Keith was the one who said it, I'm starving, cut me some slack)

I was just thinking this might be a quick(er) fix if an influx of affected players might be coming in soon. *shrug* throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

Either way, Keith's point is a good one for pvper's, and I think for pve players as well when going on a long roadtrip together.

I also like the strategic considerations of these spawn thingies but that's a completely different story and so totally doesn't belong here

I think able to respawn at allies totems (ask permission to bind, pay to bind, allies/friends able to bind etc systems) would be great. It wouldn't be "anywhere" but it would be great tactics for defense (which IMO defense should have this advantage).

I think when siege system gets put into place, they could even do something where if you are sieging you can set up a temp respawn area at the cost of resources etc.

Xsyon Citizen
    It shouldnt matter if they are "good stuff" or not. I'm not sure what moving from basket to basket has to do with this.
    If you pick up 1800 leather, and die you will right now be transported any length back to your totem, it could be 11 zones. This isn't good for many reasons, which I wont debate here. As it would derail the topic.
    I meant from basket on the ground to one you equip, it shouldn't let you pick-up so much weight.
    It should work same way as you pick rocks.

I meant from basket on the ground to one you equip, it shouldn't let you pick-up so much weight.
    It should work same way as you pick rocks.
    Still a problem with transporting max weight over unlimited # of zones. Just think of later also once the map grows.

Also, not able to pick up over the limit on stuff you would have major playing issues. Try picking up 200 bricks to load it into a roof. You would have to load it like 10 times. Just no need for that type of pain when it already has issues like I said above.

I think I'm totally missing something with this deathblow thing. It's an option that can be taken by the winning player right? Why would anyone not use it if their stronghold is being attacked?

/confused.
    DDT's suggestion about the death toll comes from darkfall - it works like this:

1. You kill said player during a fight.
    2. That player falls down stuck on the ground in a face up position and starts to bleed out.
    3. If they are not revived by another player within the bleed out period, it's about 2 min if i remember correctly then they are sent back to the loading screen and sent to their bind point.

The catch though in Darkfall is the finishing move has about a 3-4 sec animation before it happens, so during that time you could get hit by another player if you try to stop long enough to revive someone.

It's a matter of how much risk your team mates can take to stop and rez you.

However, I think most of you are making this really complicated - I have my dream vision of how I want things to work - but my point of this thread was to come up with a simple solution that would solve the major problem with the loading screen.

Either fix the loading screen, or give us a simple way to revive to help avoid it and keep it fair for everyone - it can always be improved on later, right now i think the point is to get the next round of features completed so they can finally advertise the site, get totem decay going and give old players a chance to try the game out again with some free time.

I don't want to it to be something that's going to take up to much more time.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    3. If they are not revived by another player within the bleed out period, it's about 2 min if i remember correctly then they are sent back to the loading screen and sent to their bind point.
    Its up to 2mins, you could use the spacebar and go right back to the totem if you didnt want to wait for a rez (or knew it wasnt coming).

What I was asking would work sorta like that but you wouldn't bleed out, you would heal back up and come back to life with 1 HP.