Not to clog the forums with my threads but I feel a bit encouraged by the receptiveness of the community of at least a good portion of the 10 easy changes I listed recently.
One of those features is very close to my heart and my play style, I also feel the systems are in place for this and simply need to be combined to finish "Nomad Tents"
Nomad Tent Features @ A Glance:
- No Terraforming
- Smaller 5 - 10 meter safety radius
- Cheap materials for 5 slot storage tent - preferably a grass hut. Say 10 grass thatch and 10 grass.
- Built with Basketry skill.
- Size roughly of Scavenger Stick Hut Tent or smaller.
- Respawn point after death.
- Can be picked up / set down like a basket. ( would take 30 seconds to setup, like building an actual structure. Leaving player vulnerable to attack, negating drop for safety abuse. ) Will use proximity check before placement.
- Provide a small shelter from weather for comfort without having to grind architecture.
Personal Feelings as a Nomad Player
I personally welcome some of the upcoming changes to skill system, and have no desire to grind other useless skills to be everything just to be on the level of other players. I don't want to waste my time grinding architecture, crafting or other stuff.
I want to skill up tool crafting to use basic tools for low quality utility purposes, scavange, and hunt for materials to trade for high quality gear, and weapons or other needs.
I started to grind weapon crafting but though to myself, if I am not building a homestead, I don't even really want a shovel or pick. Nor do I want to waste my skill points on the category for two tools/weapons I can trade for. Also how nice would it be as a new player to have a grass hut out of the rain without 2+ hours of grinding Banaya posts mindlessly. I also don't care much for building super forts, or dream homes which anchor me with labor burden to a section of the map.
I feel this would greatly encourage players like myself, who are willing to trade for quality things rather than just grind up to be the best at everything, which will be impossible with new system anyways.
Benefits of Nomad Tents to the community:
I feel Nomad Tents can not only benefit players such as myself but the community in the long run. I would like to break down how this could be accomplished. Additionally this could promote easier entry into enjoyable experience for beginners, and promoted freedom for exploratory older players like myself.
- No Terraforming, means less eye sores by new players, or those just passing through.
- Players if dying before placing totem now get sent to Founders Island regardless of origin.
- Fun of seeing new nomadic neighbors in the area from time to time.
- Ideal for those of us not obsessed with hording piles of useless crap.
- Promotes idea of traveling merchants ( Caravans ), which could travel between large tribes, trading goods from one tribe to another.
- Promotes nomadic hunter lifestyle. Eventually hunting migrating herds?
- May help with player retention a little ( no promises, but worth a shot. )
Note: Simplest way to mimic this feature without complication... is a grass or stick tent in architecture which can be picked up and carried in log spot on back or in cart basket slot. Without loss of materials.
even with only 5 skill
- daogwa grass hut - 10 grass, 10 thatch
- forager stick hut - 10 branches, 10 twine
I see no detrimental effect only positive effects from this, and feel many have expressed a desire for this sort of opportunity. If you do please show your support and try to encourage the devs to implement this as it would probably take very very little technical difficulty to implement as ALL the systems are currently in place in one form or another only need to be combined.
Thank you for reading this long winded thread!