Thinking of Joining

I am considering buying/subbing to Xsyon. I do have a few questions.

How big is the world?
    How would you describe the population?
    Do you foresee the game shutting down within the next 1-2 years?
    If I "Order Now" can I play immediately or is something mailed?
    What would you have wanted to know before playing?
    Anything else?

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_M View Post
    I am considering buying/subbing to Xsyon. I do have a few questions.

How big is the world?
    Huge (takes a long time to visit all places)
    How would you describe the population?
    Some 20-30 constant players - about 80 newcomers that come and go ...
    Roughly about 200 ppl play the game at least once a week (a guess).
    Current believe is that about 50 players are online (guessed again)
    Do you foresee the game shutting down within the next 1-2 years?
    Unknown as the budget/funding situation is unclear - would depend on the next two months, free time for un-subed players and totem decay is coming in the next 2 months, so it would depend on how many players choose to sub the game (a guess here again) in/after this phase.
    I know that a game can not survive on 500 subs (some number that was spilled some time ago). I have no idea how Xsyon is funded and how long the funding would last with 500 subs? So its hard to say really - but I hope Xsyon has a long time to go - so with faith its a "NO" - I donīt forsee the game shutting down within the next 1-2 years
    If I "Order Now" can I play immediately or is something mailed?
    You can download the game immediately (~2GB) and start playing.
    What would you have wanted to know before playing?
    Is it "worth" it ?
    ... that's something you have to find out for yourself. I have to say that for me its totally worth it - and also the "sub" fee of ~15$ a month is worth the experience.
    I have the feeling that I get entertainment that is worth the money. However a part of that experience is the close communication with the developers (they really keep the players "in the loop") - you can "feel" the development of the game - and the community: which is old (compared to other games) and some are even mature (some are childish), so its a good mixture, which is also entertaining
    Anything else?
    I would compare it to going to a fancy restaurant and paying 40$ for an evening meal. After the meal you can decide whether it was something you have liked (and probably choose to do it again). Yet any critics will have a hard time telling you if the meal is "good" for you.
    The game (server and client) are stable, there are practically no rollbacks (that I am aware of) and it is fun, if you like that kind of game play (if you donīt like raw fish - donīt go to a sushi bar ...).
    My recommendation: just try it - if you have the feeling the game could be something for you.

Xsyon Citizen
    I subbed in pre-order (Feb 2011), tried to play from Feb-March 2011 (the launch was a "itsy bitsy teenie weenie" rough - meaning you could not play ...) - then I took a break till Oct 2011, and since then I am playing Xsyon on a regular basis (not hard-core, but just casual play style).

The "sandbox" elements are:
    1) free architecture - you can create "free" structures that have practically no restrictions (except you need lots of time - and dirt) :P
    2) terra forming - you as a player can change the structure of the ground (rising/dropping ground levels) and create a landscape that fits your style (there are limits for that, but some players have pushed them quite far).
    3) player controlled environment - you as a player have control over trees/animals (sort of) - eg if you fell all trees of a certain kind, and replant just one kind of tree, you will change the look of your environment (trees leave a very visual impression in the game), if you kill all animals in your vicinity then they will disappear (due to some complains of players that have killed all animals in their region, the developers started to spawn new creatures now so that part is currently not very sandboxy)
    4) Player quests (no NPCs) - players can create and accept quests from players, this system is currently redesigned to provide more incentives for both the creators and the receivers of the quests (though it is already working, so just an upgrade is underway).

Downsides (at the moment):
    -) Building provide no bonuses (therefore the only reason to build a structure is to provide protection against animals, and of course because its fun to build something, if you are into that kind of thing)
    -) tribe area are "safe" (you can not be attacked by other players on your tribal grounds, all your containers are also "safe")
    -) containers can be locked on public ground - a basket on public land is inaccessible by other players (if you wish so)
    -) open PvP is seldom - huge world, low player count - you hardly see anyone else, killing someone allows you to loot them, but most players keep their valuable stuff on tribal ground or in locked baskets, so when you kill someone its mostly not worth it
    -) armor/weapon bonus has not much influence - you don`t need "high value" armor and weapons for most encounters with animals, as player and character skill are so much more important than the gear you wear: either you are a good fighter, then the armor/weapon just shorten the fight, or you are really bad (like I am), then armor and weapons won`t help you very much.

The basket/tribal land issue will be resolved in May (thatīs the plan).

So in my opinion, now it a good time to get into the game ...

Scared to buy it because it may never get funding, gonna play Mortal for a few hours see how that goes. I really want a sandbox I can do my own thing in like archeage, but mortal is super restrictive.

Based of the limited responses I have received in this thread and the other thread I made,
    I will not be buying the game at this time.

Xsyon is an "iffy" title based on the low player base, and small dev team with limited funding.

A free trial could possibly sway me but without it the $40 price and $15 sub have me on the other side of the fence.