FeedBack Request: Animal AI 2012-06-20

Hello Survivors!

We have just updated Xsyon with a patch.

Patch Notes

Patch 06-20-2012

Creatures

Creatures stay within a territorial range of their home location.
    Creature AI synchronization improved.
    Creatures can cross steeper terrain slopes to prevent getting stuck conditions.
    Creatures will be blocked fully now only by buildings and walls.
    Bugs with creature world collision allowing creatures to cross walls and get stuck in some zones and circumstances fixed.
    Bug causing creatures to act erratically when attacked in combat fixed.

We would like any and all feedback regarding any issues you may of encountered with the NPC's after this patch.

Please give us feedback to this thread directly, I please keep it feedback only and not discussions please.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GuideRaguel View Post
    A pack of Groundsqirrels attacked a tribe member of mine near our camp. Quickly returning to camp, the pack followed them up to the now closed gate. They couldn't get in.
    However, we have a secondary gate just after the primary gate to stop animals rampaging our camp. As the secondary gate was opened one of the squirrels managed to jump straight into our camp. Whether this was a bug relating to our layout I do not know.

I found a deer and put this to the test. I ran near some rocks/boulders and the deer could not attack me and seemed very confused about getting around a rock.

Bug causing creatures to act erratically when attacked in combat fixed.
    When the deer was trying to figure out the puzzle of getting around the rock it was acting erratically.

Another thing I noticed is that animals are much easier to kill. I let the deer go after a 10 minute duel and followed it until it reset/levelled. At this point the deer had antlers and had 87 more HP(189 from 102) than before. I engaged the deer in battle and killed it pretty quickly. I only lost 15% HP.

I think it was easier to kill because it couldn't hit me, it only hit me twice during the encounter. Where as I hit it at least 10 times. I'm guessing the range of animals was decreased.

On that topic I would like to add that another pack of Groundsquirrels had a hard time hitting me. I paused as I forgot to equip my weapon and I took 0 damage from them during a one minute battle.

Not been doing any hard work researching animal behaviour so far, but...

got attacked by a coyote with 107hp - it made 10 damage to me before I killed it.
    got attacked by a coyoted with 67hp - was asleep, woke up, fiddled with my inventory to equip weapons, then it levelled, killed it - it made 0 damage to me during the time
    got jumped by a black bear 100+ hp, let it try to kill me but it wasn't able to damage me at all. Started to hit back and when it was low on health it ran away, only to come back. Killed it.

From these 3 attacks I can say animals are unable to hurt me (and Im not wearing armor at all) and are lots easier to kill than before. I have never been close to kill a coyote before.

Pretty much you need to roll back whatever changes you did to them last time. Before the last changes I was even telling tribe mats that quit because of this how good I thought they where acting,fighting and grouping/packing. I did not like placement of them at all because its the same one you used 2 months ago and it fails big time at producing mutants growing or not (thanks for the hp growth restart lets just do it every day) and it will fail again because very very few animals will wonder to the mist because most where placed a good deal away from it. Feedback on how animals are now? well there retarded to be blunt about it.They fight like there not even sure they want to.I think I even seen a deer yawn and started walking off in the middle of his 2 buds trying to hit me and when im sick of looking at them looking confused I hit them enough so they run off but they dont even know they should be.Most main animals just walk by me now no aggro or anything but a hamster pack wont think twice.....btw small animals like that shouldent aggro its silly.Pretty much I thought you all got some stuff really working good on them then after patch they where total crap with reset hp.But who needs hunting I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by unclean666 View Post
    Pretty much you need to roll back whatever changes you did to them last time. Before the last changes I was even telling tribe mats that quit because of this how good I thought they where acting,fighting and grouping/packing. I did not like placement of them at all because its the same one you used 2 months ago and it fails big time at producing mutants growing or not (thanks for the hp growth restart lets just do it every day) and it will fail again because very very few animals will wonder to the mist because most where placed a good deal away from it. Feedback on how animals are now? well there retarded to be blunt about it.They fight like there not even sure they want to.I think I even seen a deer yawn and started walking off in the middle of his 2 buds trying to hit me and when im sick of looking at them looking confused I hit them enough so they run off but they dont even know they should be.Most main animals just walk by me now no aggro or anything but a hamster pack wont think twice.....btw small animals like that shouldent aggro its silly.Pretty much I thought you all got some stuff really working good on them then after patch they where total crap with reset hp.But who needs hunting I guess.

I just wanted to be clear that unclean wasnt serious when he was asking for a reset of growth everyday.

@Prokop15,
    Yeah I think problem is this is one of the harder things to fix. I dont know much about coding but this has been a problem since day 1. Even when these guys are talking about AI doing good. They really mean its doing good enough to pass, with like a D grade if you were to rank it. Right now its F.

Personally I'm at the point that I dont see them getting this fixed. AI is horrid at best, its always been horrid. This last patch I watched a raccoon attack a toon for over 5mins and never hit with the toon AFK.

Before this last patch, AI was horrid. Animals dont need to be great, but some of the basic stuff should be done. Like not running in place, not able to hit you while you are behind them, able to make choices faster instead of standing there like a deer in the headlights. Not sprinting off for miles without stopping or lost of stamina. Not getting stuck in ravines.

Past the AI part, spawning of animals (AKA breeding) needs huge work. Players looking for an animal shouldnt have to look for 20mins to find a fight with NO tools to find these animals.
    I mean if I were tracking an animal using skills or something I can see it taking a bit. But because you randomly have to wonder on an animal to find a fight its a very bad system of how they are spawned. I spend 95% of my "Hunting" wondering around and laying on the ground. 4% skinning, and 1% fighting. Major problem with these numbers.

I'm not asking for non stop spawning of animals for fighting. I'm asking for a place to go where there are animals to fight, maybe areas where they are harder and others where they are weaker.

If you are worried about resources, fix that then. Lower the amount of resources given, increase the failure rates. But this lack of wildlife in the game and players have to watch what they kill is NOT working, and it wont work.

I'm really worried about Revenants coming because of how poorly all the other animal stuff is done.