Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    I will happily keep paying as long as Xsyon continues to show the professionalism and customer service they have provided all along.
    I'm sure this has a lot to do with why so many are not paying right now.

You can take this how you like, but its a belief I have and its hard to show otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    Hodo if the game you are playing charged a nominal fee maybe they would still have an active development team like Xsyon. Lets face it, Nothing is Free! I believe Xsyon has been very smart in their approach to development. When you have a limited budget, you work within that budget and develop in stages while keeping the bills paid so you don't have to close your doors like so many (Most) other small development companies have done.
    Time to slam that door right now.

First off the game I am playing currently had a development staff as large as Xsyon, and he is completely stateside not using third-world programmers, that he has to fly over to talk to every 6 months to get shit done.

Next CastleThorne had a disagreement with the development staff that caused them to break up, which put the game in legal limbo while the rights are worked out in court. Instead of shutting the game down and letting it die, they turned over the management of the game but not the development of the game to NeXeon Inc. Who also runs another game that I play Face of Mankind which is F2P, with a P2P model. Which has a larger playerbase than this and its going through a low point due to end of summer and new games coming out.

Xsyon is not the worst game I have ever played it is pretty good, but I expected more from someone who worked on one of the best sandbox game ideas in recent history, Roma Victor. Xsyon is not what it could be, or where it should be, and he knows it. The price model is the straw that broke this camels back and thats why I moved on.

With the market becoming flooded with F2P games with a P2P model or micro transactions, Xsyon is a dinosaur in the age of mammals. Xsyon is nothing more the Minecraft, with better graphics right now. And Minecraft is cheaper. I think there are more people in Wurm Online which is where a lot of the initial population for this game came from, than there are in Xsyon.

But now I am just being bitter and thats not what I came here to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I'm sure this has a lot to do with why so many are not paying right now.

You can take this how you like, but its a belief I have and its hard to show otherwise.
    The lack of advertising and profile is quite possibly the main reason a lot of new people aren't playing. I've been an avid mmorpg gamer for a long time and I only stumbled upon Xsyon by accident. Very glad I did. The reason a lot of the original community didn't keep playing is probably because there is a good slice of this generation of gamers out there who want their shinies handed to them without any challenge or effort. They want to be spoon fed their games, lead by the nose from one quest to the next. They like the 'idea' of sandbox, but don't actually want to exert any effort to develop their character.

There are a good number of people who would cherish the gem that Xsyon presents to the gaming community, and it will just be a matter of good marketing and wise, continual development that will lure them in and keep them playing.

That said, I love the game and have found the Xsyon team to be polite and friendly in my dealings with them. I haven't needed to ask for much support in game, but when I have I was happy with the result.

If, like some people, I was constantly throwing tantrums and DEMANDING changes that I felt were in the best interests of the game in order to suit ME - then I would probably be annoyed with Notorious for not caving in to my very important demands. But I came here looking for a game with exploration, crafting and gathering and that's what I got. I see the potential of the game, I like playing, and I have faith in the continued direction of the developers.

I pray that they don't buckle to the childish demands of a vocal minority, and stay true to their vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinehit View Post
    I pray that they don't buckle to the childish demands of a vocal minority, and stay true to their vision.
    It's not just the vocal minority.

First, you have more people upset with this game, than happy. If you dont believe me, read these forums compared to any game that is doing just 1/2 ok. Xsyon has a horrid rep.

You have to understand that 1000s of people played this game. You have less than 300 (using the Guide's numbers which who knows if its true or not) playing.

1000s quit this game without a word. Many others have started this game and quit without a word. Now you have the few people posting that are upset. But just go back and read what people that quit, vs people that love this game. Now also take into account how many people "love" this game in posts, and are still playing.

Few things we are still waiting for after 2 years.

1)Archery.
    2)Cooking.
    3)Crafted gear that matters.
    4)Taming

Those are just some of the biggest things they said they would give us, and haven't.

I've played this game, and honestly I cant log in for more than 10mins at a time because I have nothing to do. I've never had this issue with any other MMO.
    Now you can say what you like, but this has never happened to me before.

This is getting a little off track from the OP and leaning more towards bashing of the game as a whole. The OP was about the price of the game so please keep things on track to that topic. If you all have constructive feedback we welcome that but if the thread slides down that road of outright game bashing than what this topic is about, I'll lock and prune the thread.

~Guidehael

Quote Originally Posted by GuideHael View Post
    This is getting a little off track from the OP and leaning more towards bashing of the game as a whole. The OP was about the price of the game so please keep things on track to that topic. If you all have constructive feedback we welcome that but if the thread slides down that road of outright game bashing than what this topic is about, I'll lock and prune the thread.

~Guidehael
    I think discussing the qualities for and against the game are entirely relevant to the cost of the game and therefore the topic at hand.

I like the game, and find the experience worth the price of admission. If people don't believe it is worth the price, then they should also have the option to say why.

That said, obviously someone who has played Xsyon since release would have a very different perspective on the gameplay and the speed of development than a newcomer like me. I've only been playing for a few months, and I've only seen one or two minor balancing changes and the migration thing.

I also haven't been through the whole plethora of changes from the original release. It boggles my mind when some of the 'older' members of my tribe talk about the early days and how little there was in game compared to now. Given what I've been told, I'm not surprised that some people didnt stick around, given the typical gamer mentality (now now, gimme gimme). Those who did so obviously saw the potential in the game, and valued the open nature of the world and gameplay. I also get it that some people are impatient that promised developments havent been integrated yet (despite the massive changes that have occured) because they want to continue to enjoy the game, and new things like cooking and taming will hopefully make that possible.

But at the end of the day, people originally bought a game that (according to some people) didnt have 1/10th of the features it has today. By all accounts, it has changed immensely since then with new features and additions which have culminated in a game that I am thoroughly enjoying. There might still be features left to be introduced, but I'm not going to be sad if they take a long time, or end up never eventuating.

At the end of the day, I paid for a product and I pay a sub to access the product. That's pretty much it.

I don't feel like game companies owe me anything more than this basic arrangement. The fact they keep working on the game at all in an attempt to improve it is a bonus. How quickly they do so is entirely up to them, and will ultimately come down to their resources and drive to make it happen.

So essentially, players have 2 options.

1. If they continue to enjoy Xsyon, they can continue to pay their sub.

2. If they don't, then they can cancel their sub.

The third option to cry about speed of development, business models and broken promises is just a luxury that people with a false sense of entitlement and self-importance tend to adopt. For these people, I recommend Option 2.

I undeleted your post.

~Guidehael
    Last edited by GuideHael; 10-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I don't mind the discussion, my post was more directed at a few who are not playing but like to patrol the forum and bash the game when they can. http://www.xsyon.com/content.php/69-...12-development There are different stages of development you can read about here to see what is on the list and will get worked on before others. The current development is in progress and as Xsyon posted in the announcement thread once we kick off free trials/kickstarter development will pick up faster with the revenue that brings. I hope that gives a little insight to what is being worked on and what will be worked on next.

~Guidehael

Quote Originally Posted by GuideHael View Post
    I don't mind the discussion, my post was more directed at a few who are not playing but like to patrol the forum and bash the game when they can. http://www.xsyon.com/content.php/69-...12-development There are different stages of development you can read about here to see what is on the list and will get worked on before others. The current development is in progress and as Xsyon posted in the announcement thread once we kick off free trials/kickstarter development will pick up faster with the revenue that brings. I hope that gives a little insight to what is being worked on and what will be worked on next.

~Guidehael
    I know you arent directing that at me, but even if it is. Those of us who no longer play and take time to come back to these forums to "patrol" as you put it, are doing so because we still have some interest in the game which is good. Its better than having thousands of dead forum accounts that no longer care about anything to do with this game and dont even come back to see if there is progress.

Which would you rather have, a forum with no one but your self to moderate, or a forum with someone on it who at least looks to see whats going on?

I don't mind former players keeping up on the game and posting, I want the discussion to stay on topic though.

~Guidehael

Agreed the topic should stay on the price of the game.

I hate to say it, but 9.99 is a fair price for this level of product currently. The issue is still Xsyon charges for the initial purchase of the game and then charges 14.99 a month for the game additionally. Which means your paying more for this game then you would for Wurm Online, Neocron2, Repopulation, and other non-sandbox "A" list titles.

What is the plan to draw players back or into the game with the current price structure? Is he considering a re-pricing or a reduction of initial sale price?