Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

At $40 for the client and $14.99 a month (some less due to 3-month pricing) I feel like I have been kickstarting this game for 2 years now. There are SOOOOO many things that have been promised in "the next round" for so long. And when some things do get done they are bare minimum and incomplete. Some people will play and pay the full sub price just for a single really good, in-depth feature (like cooking or farming). Unfortunately we already know from the answered questions that these systems will not be robust and full featured when they come in, but bare minimums. How many years will it take to flesh these out to the point where they alone are worth the sub price to those specific players?

Xsyon Citizen
    Postings like "the game is not worth XXX $" are sort of strange to me.
    How do you measure "worthiness" - by comparing it to other games?
    Do you also do this worthiness checks with all your entertainment expenses?
    Like: internet costs, cinema, eating? Do you compare them on the same level?
    Like: pizza was cheaper but the last movie in the cinema was more entertaining than the pizza I ordered (so the pizza was not worth the costs, but the cinema visit was) ?!?

Saying for me the entertainment I get is not worth XXX $ is a valid statement, but the general argument that other games are cheaper - and this game should also be cheaper is sort of disturbing for me - especially from people from USA :P

The supplier defines the price - and you can choose to buy/consume or not... wether the price works out or not has to be determined by the CFO of notorious games...

I dont think that the monthy fee greatly influences the population of the game (probably a lower price would result in more active subs with "inactive" players)...

Quote Originally Posted by tomduril View Post
    Like: pizza was cheaper but the last movie in the cinema was more entertaining than the pizza I ordered (so the pizza was not worth the costs, but the cinema visit was) ?!?

Saying for me the entertainment I get is not worth XXX $ is a valid statement, but the general argument that other games are cheaper - and this game should also be cheaper is sort of disturbing for me - especially from people from USA :P

The supplier defines the price - and you can choose to buy/consume or not... wether the price works out or not has to be determined by the CFO of notorious games...

I dont think that the monthy fee greatly influences the population of the game (probably a lower price would result in more active subs with "inactive" players)...
    Not sure what you wanted with this tomduril. It is not uncommon to compare prices for products in a specific category. In fact, its more common to do that than not. What you get all wrong though is that you try to compare apples to oranges, or even shoes to cars. Other posters in the thread are comparing Xsyon to other games, not other entertainments. Personally I don't think Pizza is some kind of entertainment at all, even though they can amusing.

From what I can read and understand by former posters in the thread (and others) some people consider the pricing model for this game being too high in comparison to other games when it comes to quality, completeness, development, content, etc.etc. I'm sure there are tons of research papers written on the subject and that some marketing genius will advice Notorious Games of a suitable pricing model in order to attract as many players as possible. Actually, perhaps they don't even want as many players as possible. Hardware considerations, scaleability, modularity come into play with a larger population and the game is perhaps not written with that taken into consideration.

Well, and as a last thing. The wise supplier practice a flexible strategy to sell more. Setting a price "out of the blue" is a really bad strategy. And sticking to it because "I can", ...is even worse. But I do agree, that decision is up to NG, and if we don't like it we can unsubscribe.

Xsyon Citizen
    Not sure what I wanted with this either - I wrote it at work in a bad mood because something I had to fix was not working

Just saying that not all games can be compared - and not all publisher go for "maxing" the (paying) player base.

And: some clubs sell "gin tonic" at 10 Eur - other sell the same drink at 2 Eur - the people that go to the place that sell it at 10 do it for a reason: its "exclusive" (and the use more expensive gin) and its not overfilled with 16 year olds posing as adults (like the bar selling it at 2 eur is) ...

I personally dont think that lowering the price would be a good idea... but the pricing level is something that hopefully has got some attention by Notorious games!

Quote Originally Posted by tomduril View Post

To answer that is simple.

What is it worth to me, I compare it to other games in its genre and market.

Xsyon-Sandbox open ended, no levels(well there are), heavy grind, mostly open PvP.

Other games that are in that area....

Darkfall Online Free to Play till DF2 comes out.
    Mortal Online 14.25EUD a month
    Wurm Online Free or 5EUD a month
    Star Wars Galaxies Free
    Star Quest Online 9.99USD a month
    Ultima Online 12.99USD a month or Free.
    Neocron2 Free
    Eve 14.95USD a month, or pay with ingame money.

Games coming out in that genre.

The Repopulation.
    Star Citizen.

Most game markets now are micro transaction and thats what works.

Xsyon is a ok game so far he has been working on it and updating it but if the dev was to drop the price to 9.99 (sub fee) he would probably get a bigger sub base.
    I love sandbox games its the whole figuring them out that i like the most. I dont want a hold my hand game and walk me threw it.
    All im sayin is that if the game was 9.99 (sub fee) id be more apt to play it and pay to play it. As im sure most are happy to pay 14.99 to play and some will all im sayin is at 9.99 there will probably be more intrested as its cheaper then most games out there. Also i do have experience playing games have been playing 20+ years went from atari to comadore 64 to sega to nintendo to playstation also xbox is in the mix. Im not tryin to make people upset or mad here just sayin if it was me thats what i would do =)

5 dollars does not seem like a lot but its like when you go 50-60mph no big deal 10mph not that much but when you go 200 to 205 that 5mph makes a big diffrence. Yes i know speed and money dont equal the same but its the same concept.
    Last edited by Solaris74; 10-18-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris74 View Post
    Xsyon is a ok game so far he has been working on it and updating it but if the dev was to drop the price to 9.99 (sub fee) he would probably get a bigger sub base.
    I love sandbox games its the whole figuring them out that i like the most. I dont want a hold my hand game and walk me threw it.
    All im sayin is that if the game was 9.99 (sub fee) id be more apt to play it and pay to play it. As im sure most are happy to pay 14.99 to play and some will all im sayin is at 9.99 there will probably be more intrested as its cheaper then most games out there. Also i do have experience playing games have been playing 20+ years went from atari to comadore 64 to sega to nintendo to playstation also xbox is in the mix. Im not tryin to make people upset or mad here just sayin if it was me thats what i would do =)

5 dollars does not seem like a lot but its like when you go 50-60mph no big deal 10mph not that much but when you go 200 to 205 that 5mph makes a big diffrence. Yes i know speed and money dont equal the same but its the same concept.

Lol, so because of 5 bucks, you won't play, I bet if the game was 10 bucks, you people wouldn't either, because if 5 bucks is stopping you, maybe its time for a new hobby, I know this sounds harsh, but this gets old when people cry free to play or cheaper subs.

Back in 1998, subs where 10 dollars this is 2012, so 5 dollar increase from then is nothing.. Devs need to eat to.

@Hodo

Darkfall is free for a month thats is, it was 15 a month for ever, then only dropped for there new game, which again will be 15 bucks...

Mortal online is 16 a month more then any game on the market, in american, so its more..

The game thats state that are free to play, you will pay more than 15 a month for the same items in say xyson, say Xsyon went free , you would end up spending more then 15 a month for the same privledges..

Look at LOTR, and DDO, great way of doing free to play, but I rather sub because in the end if I want everything that I like, I would may more then 15 a month.

Free to play does not always work, and its amoney grap, Indies should never ever, ever, ever do Free to play it does not work here, and I hope they never do it, being a newer Dev myself I have studied Game Production and buisness , I see for AAA, free to play works if done right, for money reasons, Indies it just does not work, they do not have that study flow of money like AAA's do, because they are a niche game.

They need that study income, free to play will never work, and if they dropped to 10 bucks, how many people would they gain very few, because of 5 bucks is stopping you from a game, then, the game was never for you in the first place, I spend more at mcdonalds in a day, $7.52 for one meal. SO i'm lost by this 5 dollar thing and it does not make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferysauto View Post
    They need that study income, free to play will never work, and if they dropped to 10 bucks, how many people would they gain very few, because of 5 bucks is stopping you from a game, then, the game was never for you in the first place, I spend more at mcdonalds in a day, $7.52 for one meal. SO i'm lost by this 5 dollar thing and it does not make any sense.
    You spend to much at McDonalds. I can get in and out for less than 5bucks. Dollar menu is your friend.

Lets look at the product and compare it to other products charging the same price. And I am not just talking content, but total package.

DFO, has more content, better graphics, and a larger development team thus faster patches.
    MO, far better looking graphics, content is a bit more, but is plagued with bad patches.
    Wurm Online, worse graphics, WAY more content, but slower patches, but is cheaper.

Thats just three games, if I were to throw in EVE... it not only has better graphics, deeper gameplay a larger game world, and a huge development team behind it. It now has a console FPS expansion!

Xsyon has much to offer but it has been over a year, if not 2 years and the game is WAY behind the power curve. So it makes less sense now to charge AAA prices for a game that is at best mid-tier. The reputation of this game is poor, go to MMORPG.com or Tentonhammer, or any of the MMO review sites and read the player forums on this game. For every ONE possitive review there is 2 negative ones, if there are any posts AT ALL. And thats bad seeing as many players it once had.