Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Feedback Request: Creature Migration and Balance

Please provide any feedback on creature migration and balance from the current Test Server build here.

Creatures migrate to areas of appropriate danger.
    Small creatures tend to low danger areas.
    Mid sizes creatures (raccoons, pine martins, marmots) tend to mid danger areas.
    Large creatures (bears, coyotes) tend to high danger areas.
    Mutants and legendary creatures move to outer extreme danger areas.

You can see the danger level of an area in the map panel.

Revenants abandon low danger areas if they are killed and are not haunting a totem.
    Revenants have a change of abandoning mid danger areas if they are killed and not haunting a totem.

Creature stats have been adjusted primarily to make small creatures easier.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    I will try the test server when I get home tonight but I have a question as I might be reading this wrong. Will small creature be found in "all zones" and not just in the low danger zones? Just as Medium size creatures would be found in the mid and high level zones but not (or rarely) in low level zones? If someone can clarify this it will help to know what to look for. Thanks

There is a bit of overlap between zones. Also creatures do not migrate away from the extreme danger zones as this is where they can wander into the mist and return as mutants.

You should see small creatures mostly in the low danger zones with some in medium danger, none in high danger and some in extreme danger zones.

Xsyon Citizen
    From a new player I'm impressed with how quick the dev team patches issues considering how small your team is. Also I've had great support from GMs ingame with any issues I've had. Players have been having alot of problems with mobs being to tough so its great to a see a patch in already. Hopefully few bugs. Great work so far!!

Sorry long post

I couldn't log in last night so I logged in to test before work for about an hour and a half. This is my take.

I ran around our area in 696 a bit hoping to see some critters but nothing. So I'm assuming (hoping) it will just take some time for animals to actually migrate to areas that don't have any creatures. I decided to travel north along the green line up to 815. Nothing along the way until 815 (which is as it was before) There I ran into a mutant shadow Deer. This being an extreme danger area I tried my luck but he was very tough so I had to run. I was able to evade him so that all seems good so far.

I then headed east through 816 toward the lake and ran into a 90 hp rabbit in the High danger area. I was glad to see this since it wouldn't seem right to not see squirrels and Rabbits in the mountains. He was fairly easy to take however I noticed he was doing 4 hits to my one hit yet it didn't look like he was actually hitting that many times but that's what the combat log said. I suppose this is due to me using my power swing. He was also doing around 4.75 dmg and manage to do more damage than I would have expected for a rabbit against someone with high level bone armor, but it was a high danger area so all good.

I headed East again and saw a 220hp Bear. Good so far. I passed on him and continued on to the lake and the low danger level zones. There were of course tons of mutants, but it was the swarms of small animals that I had trouble with. One on one they are all easy to kill however I then walked up on 10 Squirrels. Some around 62hps some as high as 120hps. While checking their HPs a Hamster attacked me . So while I killed him another Hamster joined in, then a Rat, then more rats etc lol. So I managed to kill a few but had to run again. This same scenario repeated just a ways further down the beach but with Rabbits this time.

This is my take so far...
    Unless this needs time to evolve a bit with the animals migrating away from the lake, the lake area stills seems too difficult for new players. Hamsters being aggressive is probably a bad idea and these swarms of animals makes the lake area almost as dangerous as the high danger areas aside from their lower agro.

If there were a way to separate animals from the packs, or if only a couple animals would group together in the low level zones I think it would make a more balance fight for new players. However I wouldn't want that to change for the higher level areas as this makes for a great challenge and we have a lot of fun trying to fight these packs of animals.

Also my understanding is that small animals can grow to 150hps and they seem to start around what 50hps? I'm not sure since I never see anything under around 60hps anymore. I think it would be better if the small animals started much lower, as low as around 20hps or so and could not grow over something like 50hps while still in the low danger areas. Some players start with as little as 35 hps so why have critter in large numbers with much larger hps in a starter area?

That was a short trip so I will try test again tonight and update this if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Please provide any feedback on creature migration and balance from the current Test Server build here.

Mutants and legendary creatures move to outer extreme danger areas.

You can see the danger level of an area in the map panel.

Revenants abandon low danger areas if they are killed and are not haunting a totem.
    Revenants have a change of abandoning mid danger areas if they are killed and not haunting a totem.

Creature stats have been adjusted primarily to make small creatures easier.

Thanks!
    We need a balance of creatures in this game like we used to have. We still have 90 hp hamsters which is ludicrous, especially when 8 of them attack you. Where are the 110 hp bears? I would like to see little easy creatures in the new player areas, but also in our area. I don't like having the map divided into all these zones at all. I would like to go hunting and be able to kill little animals, and medium animals, and still have to watch out for the large animals or mutants that you need a group for. It was way more fun when you didn't really know what to expect, but there were plenty of manageable animals you could take on hunting solo.

I think the animals still have way too much reach. They shouldn't be able to hit me from 3 meters or more away. They also seem to still be doing damage multiple times with each hit.

I just want a nice balance. It used to be almost perfect, as far as the hp distribution and the reach and the damage. I could find creatures of all sizes. It made it fun to go hunting. There were mutants and 25hp squirrels and 80hp deer so everyone could have fun. I don't want to have to gather a group to go hunting, but if I have a group, I want to be able to find a challenge. I don't want to know what zones those creatures are in, or might be in. That is why it is called hunting...

Small creatures should never get over 50 hp, and have plenty of 20-30 hp little guys for new players to practice on. A 200 hp cat is just insane. Even a big kitty should be easy to take. Lets get some balance back and stop listening only to the players that whine the loudest.

Just my opinion. Thanks for listening.

Hello,

YOu can't judge the creatures by the hp only. The base damage for all creatures has been revised lowering them quite a lot. So for example you can find a 50 hp chicken that before had 25 hp but the fight is more balanced now ,meaning a noob with 47 hp in clothes can have fun fighting it,so some creatures can have more hp but we lowered hp and damage in others, one by one based on real fights vs different level toons from noob to vet to have a good balance. The new danger zones is not based in hp.

We announced to test changes in test server and we had some help from noob players that tested all the range creaturesfrom the smallest creatures 1 vs 1 in clothes and armor until large hard creatures hunting in group and everything looked well balanced. About pack attack we are going to find a solution.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by GuideMihr; 08-31-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverspirit View Post
    We need a balance of creatures in this game like we used to have. We still have 90 hp hamsters which is ludicrous, especially when 8 of them attack you. Where are the 110 hp bears? I would like to see little easy creatures in the new player areas, but also in our area. I don't like having the map divided into all these zones at all. I would like to go hunting and be able to kill little animals, and medium animals, and still have to watch out for the large animals or mutants that you need a group for. It was way more fun when you didn't really know what to expect, but there were plenty of manageable animals you could take on hunting solo.

I think the animals still have way too much reach. They shouldn't be able to hit me from 3 meters or more away. They also seem to still be doing damage multiple times with each hit.

I just want a nice balance. It used to be almost perfect, as far as the hp distribution and the reach and the damage. I could find creatures of all sizes. It made it fun to go hunting. There were mutants and 25hp squirrels and 80hp deer so everyone could have fun. I don't want to have to gather a group to go hunting, but if I have a group, I want to be able to find a challenge. I don't want to know what zones those creatures are in, or might be in. That is why it is called hunting...

Small creatures should never get over 50 hp, and have plenty of 20-30 hp little guys for new players to practice on. A 200 hp cat is just insane. Even a big kitty should be easy to take. Lets get some balance back and stop listening only to the players that whine the loudest.

Just my opinion. Thanks for listening.
    once the server is populated with people again after they start their advertising you won't know where the pk's are, they'll be everywhere!

One of the things that games like this need are pvp hot spots, those that want to farm specific animals will know where to go and those that want to farm players will also know where to go. (this creates the pvp hot spots)

The game is pretty much on easy mode right now, everyone is "playing nice" - if we get a decent amount of players again like we had at launch there will be tons of action around every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by GuideMihr View Post
    Hello,

YOu can't judge the creatures by the hp only. The base damage for all creatures has been revised lowering them quite a lot. So for example you can find a 50 hp chicken that before had 25 hp but the fight is more balanced now ,meaning a noob with 47 hp in clothes can have fun fighting it,so some creatures can have more hp but we lowered hp and damage in others, one by one based on real fights vs different level toons from noob to vet to have a good balance. The new danger zones is not based in hp.

We announced to test changes in test server and we had some help from noob players that tested all the range creaturesfrom the smallest creatures 1 vs 1 in clothes and armor until large hard creatures hunting in group and everything looked well balanced. About pack attack we are going to find a solution.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I also gathered feedback from my tribe members. They say animals seem to be hitting harder, still too fast, and still too much reach. None of us are finding these "balanced" creatures, so they must be hiding? We have at least 7 active players, and we would all like to be able to hunt solo and kill something besides revs. So on the test server you were spawning animals that were comparable to player capabilities, but we aren't finding them. My tribe members report creatures that hit for over 40. You can't kite them anymore because they have too much reach. It is much more fun if people can go hunting solo and actually take some creatures solo. Two or three players should be able to take a 300hp bear. Two players used to be able to take a 600hp bear if they were careful. It was fun then.

And we all agree that nobody really cares how many revs are in a zone! We think that should be removed from the zone warning, or just remove the zone warning all together. It is not helpful. But the rev count is just annoying.

I am sure you had good intentions, and as long as you were spawning the creatures on command it was all fine. Now we would like a nice balance of creatures that don't hit us twice for our every hit. Leveling hunting takes an insane amount of killing and skinning, so give us something that we can kill and skin.

We just want to be able to hunt solo again.

And PVP hotspots? Who cares? Most people don't play this game for the pvp, since this game really is not about pvp (to me anyway), it just includes pvp. I love all the dimensions of this game, the crafting and tribe community and the creativity that can be expressed in building. I used to love wandering the world with my little cart and hunting and scavanging. There was always the danger that I would die, and I died pretty often, but at least I could hold my own most of the time. This game is meditative to me, it is relaxing. It helps me decompress. We have a tribe with awesome tribe members from all around the globe and we all help each other. That is what I love about this game. This is just my opinion, but please take it into account.

I'm getting extreme lag when I engage in combat against Revenants. Sativa, Truth_seeker, and I all experience this last night. So bad, it cost us some real good armor.

No matter how hard I try, I cant hit an NPC until it actually turns and hit me. I can sprint up behind it and try several times...but nothing registers, until they turn and hit me. I'm getting hit 3 -5 times, some times more, per my hit against them. Like they hit in rapid succession. My swing charge isnt charging when they do this. I'm not sure if this is related to the lag or not.

I'm pretty much in agreement with riverspirit in reguards to hunt-ability. I dont want things to be easy, I like a challenge, but it's no longer even a chance, unless I hunt some small creature not worth skinning.
    Last edited by Deacon; 09-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.