Main server preview?

Hello!

This is basically an "Is this game for me?" post. I recently played on the free trial server and am happy with the game play basics, but I do have some questions regarding how the game plays on the main server:

I played Wurm Online for quite a while. The reason I quit is because of constant encroaching by other players. As soon as I found a nice quite corner to build a home in, someone was trying to bulid highways all around it. I prefer having a solo tribe in the wilderness where I can do my own thing. Can I do that in Xsyon or are people always going to be trying to expand into my territory? What is griefing like in Xsyon? How do moderators handle griefing?

Are there a ton of abandoned buildings/tribes/territories on the main server? In Wurm I had to walk for hours, literally, just to find unclaimed real estate. Where's the best place for a soloer to settle down?

I have no drastic aversion to social gaming, but I do want to be self sufficient. Can I, as a soloer, still experience most of Xsyon's features? I don't mind trading etc. but I don't want some tribal leader telling me what I can or cannot do, especially if I'm paying $15/mo.

Thanks for any advice, and maybe I'll see you soon!

Edit: A few more questions:

What is decay like? If I take a break from playing for a week, what will happen to my buildings, items, tools, etc.? Can people siege my totem or take my stuff while I'm offline?
    Last edited by Hydra; 10-26-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Xsyon Citizen
    Hi Hydra,

> I prefer having a solo tribe in the wilderness where I can do my own thing. Can I do that in Xsyon or are people always going to be trying to expand into my territory?

Most probably not gonna happen. Since the decay of deserted tribes kicked in there is a lot of space in Xsyon... So the chances that someone settles down right next to you are quite slim.

What is griefing like in Xsyon? How do moderators handle griefing?
    Well - there are 1-3 players that do that sometimes - but as you are really safe on your own ground (you can not be attacked there, but you are able to attack) - "griefing" in that sence sort of only happens by animals - but those normally do not stick around a place for very long - they wander "randomly" around ... Guides normally do not take sides - but if you tell on the global chat that you are been griefed - quite soon someone will show up at your place to get some PvP with the player that is griefing you - PvP is quite rare and some players are happy if you tell them that a fighter is at your place ... So these situations clear up quite soon.

>Are there a ton of abandoned buildings/tribes/territories on the main server? In Wurm I had to walk for hours, literally, just to find unclaimed real estate.
    There are a lot of places that are deserted - these are haunted by "revenants" and you have to get rid of those (NPC human looking creatures). There is enough space to be claimed - so has already structures/plain fields, some are untouched. I dont think you will have any trouble finding a suitable place.

Where's the best place for a soloer to settle down?
    I would say near the lake in the center - but not at the shore - probably along side a river, with a junkpile, grass and some trees near by. The whole landscape is like that, so I think its really easy to get a good spot. For a new soloer I would recommend a place in the "low"/"medium" danger zone. "high"/"extrem" danger zones are really hard if you do not have some armor and a good weapon and some training in fighting. The "low" danger zones are along side the river and go just a little towards the mountains - these regions only have small and easy animals - so you should not have very much trouble with them (from time to time you will also spot animals from the medium danger zone, but they leave again...)

>What is decay like?
    Decay happens at the moment only if you "use" a tool, armor, weapons. So if you dont use it, it will not decay (at the moment)

> If I take a break from playing for a week, what will happen to my buildings, items, tools, etc.?
    As long as you store your stuff on your land, it is safe - baskets outside - in the public area are open to all players. Buildings do not decay at the moment, and as long as you have an active subscription your totem will not decay - meaning your stuff is safe.

>Can people siege my totem or take my stuff while I'm offline?
    This feature has not been implemented - there is a lot of discussion - but Xsyon (game developer/owner) said that he would like to create a system where people have to opt for beeing siegable with some benefits if you do so... So the answer is "no" to that question.

You should be able to find a quiet spot easily without others on your doorstep. Only 1 or 2 players currently are even interested in killing other players and even they don't "grief". It is more just a reminder that open world pvp is a part of the game. Even then, you most likely wouldnt loose anything that you couldnt replace easily. Most likely if you don't rant on global to attract negative attention, you will be able to go about your activities in relative peace. It is still a good idea to train combat skills for hunting animals. With enough agility, you can easily escape most situations you can't handle. As mentoned in the previous reply, avoid extreme danger areas to settle your first homestead.

In the begining, i would reccomend looking thru all the abandoned bins lying around your area to get starting tools etc. Other players are always willing to help you get started as well. You will find it easier to progress in some crafts by establishing a friend network for trading. As long as you have an active sub, none of the belongings you have stored in locked containers on your land can be taken. If your sub is not active, it still takes at least 3 months for your totem to decay. At the moment, there are no plans to add seige as far as i know, even tho it has been discussed.

Hope to see you in the world soon!

lots of Open spots in the world, I used to play wurm i know what yours talking about, It just wont happen here. If ya need help just toss me a pm ingame or on the fourms :-) Welcome!