Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A reflection about the skill caps

I played a bit before the stat and skill cap patch came in. At first I thought it would be a good change, but now... I'm not so sure. My point is that it limits the experience and take a lot of the fun out of the game. I effectively limit myself to 40% of the skills, the rest is no point in trying to train. I know this change was made in order to encourage trading and make you feel a bit special with your chosen skills.

If the change had led to a well balanced game and more fun we would only see people with 1 account. What we do have instead is more people running 2 or more accounts making sure they are self reliant. Did I misunderstand something or was that the point from the beginning?

I would much rather have seen a system where the first 3 skills are pretty easy to level up (like now) but the remaining skills would be much harder. That way I would at least see a point in doing tailoring for example if we already had 3-4 skills in which we were proficient.

This would only slightly delay it.

The people running 2+ accounts would then use 1 account solely and just level up all the skills again.

Problem is that the game lacks a reason to craft, or even get skills at a master level as everything can be done at a lower level. The people running 2+ accounts are likely doing it because its easier.

If you had people that needed to do all these actions and were busy, then the people with 2+ accounts wouldn't matter, because players would be doing what they like to do.

You would have hunters, PVPers, crafters, scavers, builders etc. And they would focus on their fields they like to do.

Then you would have other players would want to do their own thing and likely focus on basic goods. All in all there is no point to progress past the "basic" goods part as there is no hardship or goals other than player fictitious set ones for no real rhyme or reason.

In any case you will never stop the players from maxing or exploiting the system. I think having them have 2 or even 3+ accounts is a good thing Xsyon and you. More paid accounts means more faster content. Removing the want for a few accounts by these players removes money from devs to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    This would only slightly delay it.

The people running 2+ accounts would then use 1 account solely and just level up all the skills again.

Problem is that the game lacks a reason to craft, or even get skills at a master level as everything can be done at a lower level. The people running 2+ accounts are likely doing it because its easier.

If you had people that needed to do all these actions and were busy, then the people with 2+ accounts wouldn't matter, because players would be doing what they like to do.

You would have hunters, PVPers, crafters, scavers, builders etc. And they would focus on their fields they like to do.

Then you would have other players would want to do their own thing and likely focus on basic goods. All in all there is no point to progress past the "basic" goods part as there is no hardship or goals other than player fictitious set ones for no real rhyme or reason.

In any case you will never stop the players from maxing or exploiting the system. I think having them have 2 or even 3+ accounts is a good thing Xsyon and you. More paid accounts means more faster content. Removing the want for a few accounts by these players removes money from devs to get to work.
    To be honest Im not 100% sure where I stand in this, and even admit being a bit contradicting. I want to experience all aspects of the game at the same time as I want to see more realism and reasons to trade. I even ran two accounts myself so I could go around the skill cap. It was just recently I thought of why doing that when the whole idea was to make us depend on each other for supplying each other with material and/or goods. As a good side effect we generated more money though while on the bad side we were still as independent as before the patch.

Anyway - I guess alot will be clearer once the crafting patch is in and the kickstart campaign has generated the extra income.

A lot of the issues and boinked systems are due to lack of active population. More people would fix a fair bit of the problems. Sadly its a spiral effect either way. If some how there were to be like 100x more people, it would spiral up in # of people, assuming there were not major issues with having that many people.

One major thing is the game was not ready for a launch, and many of those people are likely never to look back at Xsyon.

Think of it like this, would you play 2 accounts if you had a tribe of 100 people? I doubt it, likely you would be busy doing what you like to do (or your major focus) for the tribe.
    Another thing is, if the game had more end game content (like WOW has raid bosses) where you needed to pool together to do things, with an active player base/tribe you likely wouldnt play both the accounts.

I know I didnt when I had 3+ accounts. Once the tribe picked up (went from 5 actives at one point to about 40) I stopped playing 2 accounts as I didnt have time to do it, nor did I have the need too. Sure I would log on 2 or 3 guys to do faster terraforming but that has nothing to do with this topic. I playing my 2nd account to worry about crafting something for people, we had crafters to do that (I was a hunter mostly).

So its a mix of a few things is causing the current issues. I suspect that with an influx of people the want to play 2 accounts will be less the more people start playing.

I wish skills never went down, better then using multi/tooons.
    Last edited by the_cretin; 03-02-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Key to playing solo is not to have 100 in many skills. If you want to do everything dont expect to be the best at them all.

Also why is it hard to solo? This game is easy to solo. You can do anything.