change it so that skills are effectively limited to 60 instead of 30
Let players hit 60 in all skills, once they get to 60 make it so that you can't learn any new crafts either.
Limiting to 30 is just pointless and not even worth the trouble of setting up the free play imo.
However, I think the free play is headed in the right direction - there are so many people that I see talking about Xsyon at other gaming sites that say the only thing stopping them from playing is the population.
With the limitations that are being put in for this limited free play along with letting people get to 60 would bring in a much larger crowd.
You'll get 2 types of people with this f2p system:
1. People that wouldn't play at all if the game was p2p (they'll stick around just because it's free) and this will keep the population up for the 2nd type of player.
2. The other type would be the people that are looking for a larger population to make it worth it to them to subscribe. They'll get addicted to the game and not be able to play with the limitations which will cause them to subscribe.
I feel like if you limit skills to 30 it's so low that the people that would stick around because it's free won't actually be able to play the game with skills so low. And the people that would subscribe won't because the population will still be really low.
A couple more way's to bring in more money for development could be added:
1. $14.95 Name Changes (unlimited)
2. $14.95 Ability to Purchase a 2nd Character Slot (Max 1 Extra Slot)
3. $1.95 Gathering Boosters (makes you gather grass, chop trees, collect stone, etc) 25% faster and comes with 5 charges, each charge lasts for 1 hour. - this works great in Fallen Earth, could be done here too, same concept for gathering.
This could be a perfect time to setup a Cash Shop for those items.