Client side position or server side position?

Not sure how to explain this, but is the game setup like WoW or a game like Startrek Online (AION).

WoW has it to where your client tells the server where you are, so you do not get any lag skipping in case you get some packet loss (where your computer shows your moving normally while others are skipping around).

Startrek Online (and AION) has it where the server will actually throw you back to where you were if you get packet loss. So the server only allows you to move when it says you can, if the server is lagging, you get thrown all over the place.

WoW = other people see you lagging, you dont see it

STO (and AION) = you rubber band on your screen

Re:Client side position or server side position?

From what I understand reading a thread posted in another game's forums is that things done client side such as hitboxes are easier to hack than if they were done server side. I guess it's a tradeoff.

Re: Client side position or server side position?

The only secure way to track these things is to have the server make these calculations. The calculations are typically done on the client also to reduce rubber banding, but the server has the last say in where you ultimately end up.

Remember, the client is in the hands of the enemy, the server should never trust what the client tells it.

This is where they have to keep as much of that information on, as we as the clients (players) don't have access to the code of the server as this isn't stored on our computers but is stored at there main computer (or whatever you like to call it). This is what keeps track of our money, this is what keeps track of what weapons we have. How likewise the server doesn't have direct access to our computer, meaning it can't pick up where we clicked and when we clicked unless the client tells it. And since we have access to the client, we can make the client tell the server false information, that's why we need a more secure client!

We don't want people botting in the server, to prevent this we'd have to start low and build our way up.

I'm sure Xsyon will not answer this..for the obvious reasons stated above.

From Raph Koster's Laws of online world design, developed in 1998 btw:

Never trust the client.
    Never put anything on the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy. Never ever ever forget this.

Roak wrote:
    From Raph Koster's Laws of online world design, developed in 1998 btw:

Never trust the client.
    Never put anything on the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy. Never ever ever forget this.
    I used to develop server/clients and have done some bad things in my time.
    But i've changed since then (6years ago)

My guess is that hotbox's will be server side as well as any timer regarding swinging attacking harvesting. As well as skills and characters and items