New Player Question.

Hi All,

I'm going to start playing Xyson today and having played a few other Sandbox MMO's I really enjoy the excitement of learning and discovering new things that the sandbox genre's offer (and also making mistakes and learning from them).

My question is this; would my Xyson experience be "spoilt" if I join a Tribe from the outset rather than trying to run solo and learn/discover things for myself?

Thanks in advance for your comments and I hope i've explained my predicament ok!

Nos.

No, you would benefit from tribal knowledge. This game is too complex to try and do it alone unless you just like torture.

Euin

As far as knowledge and game mechanics go, if you don't ask, no one will "spoil" your ignorance. General chat is as good or better source of knowledge than tribal chat, but you don't have to look at general chat. (In fact, it takes some players a while to even find general chat, and configuring the chat window will be one of those things you will have to ask or find by accident.)

The way a tribe would "spoil" a new player is to provide all the tools and gear you need. That said, it might take a lot of grinding tool craft to learn to make the tools you need. Going totally solo is really difficult. Mostly solo with some trading is a lot easier.

Of course, you can't start your own tribe as free-to-play, and that will steer you towards a tribe sooner than later.

As a solo player I think you will be able to learn what you can do with the 'sand' in this game, and then depending on that determine if you want to continue a solo journey or seek out a tribe. I find there is more limitation to being a free-to-play player than there is to being a solo player.

I've been a solo player since WAY back in the dawn of Xsyon when I was in a short series of tribes that all left game (not my fault!). I'm sure there are plenty of things I don't know, but it's not that hard to figure stuff out as you go along. There are online guides too.

I don't have the best looking home 'cause there are only so many buildings I can make, and I can't kill bears or revs (or rats), but I do okay. I think it really all depends on what your play style is. If you join a tribe, you really don't have to ask them tons of questions or attend the Newbie 101 classes they offer if you want to figure stuff out for yourself.