Farming is ready for testing on the Test Server (again)
Here is a basic rundown of the system
- Farming skill added to the character's skill and action lists.
- Farming action opens a farming panel, with one action, plowing.
- Plowing prepares a tile of terrain for planting seeds.
- New crop plants can be found through foraging. (Currently you can forage anywhere and find random crop plants in order to facilitate testing).
- Extract seeds from plants. Right click for the menu. Extract one or extract all.
- Plant seeds on plowed terrain. Right click seeds to plant.
Plants have 6 gauges
Sun Level - Currently this is constant.
Water Level - Decreases every update. Increases through watering.
Weeds Level - Weeds have a chance of growing or increasing every update. Cleared by tending.
Pest Level - Pests have a chance of appearing or increasing every update. Cleared by tending.
Fertilizer Level - Decreases every update. Increased through adding fertilizer (currently guts).
Growth Level - Increases every update based sun, water, fertilizer and tending levels.
Right click a plant to perform the following actions
Water Plant- Requires a full water skin in your packs. Fills the water level of the plant.
Clear Weeds - Clears weeds from the plant.
Clear Pests - Clears pests from the plant.
Fertilize - Increases the fertilizer level of the plant. Requires animal guts in your packs.
Harvest - Available only when the plant is ready. Only the farmer (owner) can harvest the plant.
Destroy - Available only for the owner or for any tribe member if the plant is dead.
Tending your plants - Immediately water your plant. You will need a full water skin in your packs.
- Plants update once every game day.
- Check your plant once per real day (or as you desire) to ensure the plant is well tended.
- Plants that lack water or tending will wilt and eventually die from neglect.
- Plants reaching maximum age will die. Days left in the plant's life cycle show in the plant's info display.
- Plants can be harvested when they reach 75% growth.
- Plants yield more produce as they continue to grow (up to 100%).
Well tended plants grow faster. The goal is to tend your plants well so that they can reach maximum growth (100%) before they reach maximum age.
- With your Farming panel open all nearby plants will display their information.
- Tools required for all farming actions.
- Performing actions (water, tend, fertilize) on all nearby plants (range determined by skill).
Please post any bugs, problems or general feedback on the system. Thanks!
Everything seems to be working fine for me. Two thoughts: 1- It seems like once foraged for the fruit/vegetable should give some minimal nourishment if eaten. Then after extracting seed, planting and harvesting the nourishment (energy gained) should be considerably more. 2- In my opinion guts are needed for other crafting needs and should not be used here. Lime would be a great choice as it's already in the game. Or, secondarily, some process that gives us manure or compost. Thanks.
Haven't tried it yet. I just wanted to come in here to beg you to make fertilizers something other than a hunted thing. Some of us can't hunt and running around the lake trying to trade people for animal guts just so I can have a carrot would be kinda ridiculous.
How about fish? Other plants? These things fertilize in the real world.
I know it's just guts for the test realm. Just wanted to get my request in early.
Two people from my tribe have been testing farming. Everything seems to be working in accordance with the original post. Green points work. We are gaining points from everything except changing the terrain, which we expected. I haven't noticed a stat increase yet. Does anyone know for sure what the Farming stats are?
Update: Tribe mate just received a stat increase of Int and Str.
Last edited by varillon; 04-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.