Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Xsyon Citizen

I'm Missing Something

People keep talking about Open PvP being in the features from the start. But I have read http://www.xsyon.com/features and I can find nothing about it in there.

Is it a another hidden page like http://www.xsyon.com/controls or is it hidden only in the Forums. If its only in the Forums, I think it should be added to the main game page somewhere.

Re:I'm Missing Something

the devs have clearly stated it several times in the forums... it may not be in the feature list however many features on the list would only be possible with an open pvp world, for example evil alignment... how can you be evil if you have to ask someone if you can kill them before you kill them.

Well, evil theoretically doesn't necessarily equate to murderer.

Though I'd certainly agree the devs have been up front enough about it that there's not really any doubt in this case. B)

It's okay there's plenty of good tribes to choose from Griefers won't be a issue if you use a buddy system.

Xsyon Citizen

Guess my point is that is something that should not be buried in the forums, not everyone reads every forum topic before they pre-order. Along with player being able to be looted.

Guess, I'm a carebear at heart. I don't mind having zones of Open PvP, but have seen to many Open PvP games turned into gankfests. I'm not sure I would have signed up for the Prelude if I had known it was Open PvP. (To many flashbacks to running around in my undies in UO).

I never liked the idea of "Forced Grouping" either, and that is basically what you are talking about when you say hire someone to guard you while you gather.

As for Evil Alignment, I would think of things like stealing, poisoning the land, clearcutting, random terraforming peoples camps (griefing), and possibly damming rivers as being Evil.

Mijost wrote:

As for Evil Alignment, I would think of things like stealing, poisoning the land, clearcutting, random terraforming peoples camps (griefing), and possibly damming rivers as being Evil.
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can only terraform in your own tribe land.

A while back i asked:

"1.Will cliffs be able to be made with terraforming? 2.If not will enemy's be able to walk right up a city that was build stragisticly to narrow the entry points of the city? 3. If a enemy walks into your town will they be able to ruin it by digging (once out)? I'd hate to see that sort of griefing, i hope only certain tribe members will be able build/edit things like that within the totem limits."

"1) You can make cliffs. We're testing the limits now, but impassible cliffs will definitely be possible.

2) You can limit entry points to a city. When we implement gates, tribe members can pass freely. Enemies can't.

3) No, only tribe members can terraform in a tribe's territory. We might limit it to only assigned tribe members (chosen by the leaders) (very likely that we'll do this.)"

Xsyon Citizen

What I am mainly trying to say here, is that whatever form of PvP (open, flagged, zoned, etc) is used in this game it should not be hidden in the forums. Needs to be stated (put an * (subject to change) if you like) on the game site.

Mijost wrote:

I never liked the idea of "Forced Grouping" either, and that is basically what you are talking about when you say hire someone to guard you while you gather.
    I'm not that worried about "forced grouping" but the main issue with hiring guards is it's no fun for anyone. Sure they get a paycheck, but it means they stand around watching someone else gather for hours on end.

In what universe is that remotely interesting?

For the guard - Even grinding mobs that present no challenge to you is marginally more interesting than literally just standing around. Not to mention, your presence makes it highly unlikely that anything interesting will actually happen.

For the crafter - You have to go through the tedium of actually finding someone willing to act as guard for however long you plan to gather. Hope you're not looking to gather at an odd time zone, or your tribemates actually have something more fun to do - like watching the grass grow. You get nothing for this, in fact, it's going to cost you.

If "just bring guards" is the answer, then the devs need to have an NPC guard mechanism on the basis of fun-factor alone. Speaking as someone on the gatherer side of things, I have no problem paying for security (so long as security doesn't cost like 50% of the take), but I do have a problem asking other RL people to spend their precious gametime looking at my avatar's butt -- unless it's massively profitable for them. Guard for 2 hours, live on the take for 2 weeks type profit. Of course, that means the gatherer needs to be able to gather that sort of value in 2 hours, and that sounds economy-breaking to me.

Mijost wrote:
    What I am mainly trying to say here, is that whatever form of PvP (open, flagged, zoned, etc) is used in this game it should not be hidden in the forums. Needs to be stated (put an * (subject to change) if you like) on the game site.
    I don't think anyone really knows how open PVP will work in this game once it's released. I get the feeling even the devs aren't completely sure of the all the mechanics required to produce the game they have in mind. It's going to be a tricky balancing act that will probably stretch out for many months at the least.