Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xsyon or Wurm

All 4 of those games are not out yet. So, not sure how you can say they are any good.

Arch Age: Great Game but not even close to the same type of game as Xsyon or Wurm.
    The Repopulation: Not even close to being done.
    Gloria Victis: I have been playing the pre alpha looks nice but not the same type of game as Xsyon or Wurm.
    Life Is Feudal: this is the only game like Xsyon or wurm and the one im most excited about because of that but tbh its a LONG ways away if it even sees the light of day.

Like ddt said theres no game like Xsyon or Wurm.....ive been trying to fill the void after leaving Xsyon and theres just nothing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PoundCake42 View Post
    Interesting response DDT... Xsyon still isn't techinically released yet either, right? "Prelude"?

Arche Age is out and is awesome.
    Repopulation just had a succesful round of crowd funding and is in early stage of alpha. The activity around the game looks promising, and their road map (and the fact that they even have one) is well defined. They're going to do well looking like SWG.

I hadn't seen the next two, so here are my first impressions:
    Life is Feudal looks fantastic and seems to be a fairly active project. They clearly have some good ideas and technology, but the quality of the presentation is lacking. I fear this will become the next in the family of 'Wurm's and 'Xsyon's -- bit off too much than they could chew and did not deliver a polished product.
    Gloria Victis looks a lot like Life is Feudal, though their presentation gives me more confidence in their ability to deliver. Also, they are in alpha.

And to add to that list is a game I just got into closed beta for: Everquest Landmark.

The tech behind Wurm and Xsyon is objectively ancient, compared to the games listed above. Dumping your $15/mo * number of accounts you have subscribed (< lol) is silly when you could be trying new more viable products.

Aside from that, my earlier comment was not talking specificaly about MMOs. As has been mentioned in this thread already, Xsyon's economy is... non existant. You barely interact with the other players, so the fact that it is an MMO is really not that important. Same goes to the survival aspect and any kind of real meaning behind the crafting and building aspects. If you want a game that does survival crafting well, single player or server'd games are a good way to go for the time being. Steam is full of those.
    Xsyon HAS been released since 2010. He called it Prelude because it was going to be updated in chapters, we have not left the prelude chapter yet.

As others said, those games are not even close to what Xsyon is, or not even close to being out.

IMO LIF is the closest thing to Wurm/Xsyon and again it's not even remotely ready to be released and like many small project dev games it might never see "the light of day" as Unclean said.

Adding Everquest Landmark to the list means that you might have seen that Landmark has NONE of the aspects of a game and it is a building simulator. Everquest Next is what the game is going to be like. So if you love building, Landmark is a great "game" to play but again it is not in the realm of Xsyon/Wurm.

They called Ultima Online a "sandbox" MMO also, but one thing I would like to note is that they do not play the same as Xsyon and Wurm online. Xsyon and Wurm are very closely linked to the style of play, they both have many of the same features and aspects that make them a true sandbox game to me.
    Roma Victor even though it didn't have terraforming was like Xsyon and Wurm in the style of play/sandbox however, they shut down the servers due to a many issues.

Well, I am seriously enjoying reading this thread. I am in Landmark as a founder and also ArcheAge as a founder. Landmark is pretty much a sandbox with emphasis on the sand. However, it is purely a design studio at this point. There is no other feature that can even be flagged as sandbox mmo. I am a little ticked at Sony's marketing early on as they implied Landmark would be an alpha of EQ Next. But then they switched gears and stated they were two totally different games - after I plunked down the money for early access. But oh well - it's Sony and I should have known.

ArcheAge doesn't feel like a sandbox. It feels more like a sand-park with more emphasis on the theme-part than the sandbox. For one thing, you can build a house and own land but you have to squeeze in between everyone else in crowded player housing areas. I think its more correct to say that ArcheAge is one of the most open-ended, non-linear themepark games out there. It's definitely NOT in the same sandbox definition that Wurm and Xsyon are.

As for the other games, I have my eye on every game mentioned in this thread. Of them all, I think the most appealing is The Repopulation for the simple fact that they are really trying to give the open-world feel of SWG - which is the greatest sandbox of all time imho.

Cheers.

Xsyon was in 'early access' / 'prelude' until 2011 when it 'officially released'.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...ar-of-prelude/

If we're going to say these games are not even close to being out, then Xsyon is fresh out of the gates.

How are the games mentioned not like Xsyon and Wurm? They may not have the exact same feature set, but they are in the same realm of MMO 'sandbox'. Let's add to that list:
    Perpetuum
    EVE Online
    A Tale in the Desert
    Haven and Hearth
    Salem

What are these "features and aspects that make them a true sandbox [MMORPG] game"? It sounds like a terraforming system of any quality is all you need. It's not like terraforming is truly tied to the gameplay in any meaningful way, so what's the big deal if you get an awesome terraforming experience in one game and the rest of the features in another?

My point is that Xsyon and Wurm do a few of these sandbox features poorly. In other games, the feature set may be missing some from Xsyon/Wurm, they may have added some, but overall they do them better.
    Sorry about the 2010, date being wrong, I forgot he delayed it a year, but it has been released for years even as your link shows.

All those games are sandbox games, I've tried them all and I do not like them for different reasons. The point was people were saying Sandboxs game were in high times right now with many games, but really I've not found games that work as well as a sandbox as Xsyon or Wurm online.

EVE Online and Perpetuum are both Sci Fi games. EvE is much more a sandbox than Perptuum is also. I do not play EVE online due to the Sci Fi aspect and it has a lot less "world building" things. Sure you can do POS and other things of that nature but nothing like a Wurm / Xsyon aspect is.

A Tale In The Desert is very old, and it's very much a sandbox game. I love a lot of systems in it, few things about ATITD though, ZERO combat None, NIL, NADA! No PVP, No PVE etc. So that hurts it for many people. Next is that they wipe the game about every 6 months to restart it, the game progresses at a rate and then starts over again. Not something I'm into. I like a game to build on itself and players to effect the world and have lasting results.

Haven and Hearth is a shooter game and does poorly at it, it has a lot of issues that I wont get into here, please it's a Sci Fi game. A lot less sandbox style game than Xsyon and Wurm.

Salem is more like an RTS than a true sandbox MMO, it plays that way to me, I would say it is a true sandbox game. Top down view and how you click on things/do things. Graphics are very very dated it looks like farmville. Let me note as a final major nail in the coffin, PERMADEATH! If you die, you do not come back you lose all your skills and stats and have to remake. PVP or PVE deaths. Right there alone if I knew nothing else of the game is a no go for me.

So there you have it. I do not see sandbox games like Xsyon or Wurm on the market now or in the near future. I've played both Xsyon and Wurm online a lot, 1000s of hours on either. I play Xsyon and believe Xsyon has more hope for it out of the 2. I hope that Xsyon puts in some of the content and features soon that he has planned and releases it on steam after the content and a few fixes.

Do they not still plan on using player made peices from Landmark in EQ next? I thought it was essentially crowd-sourcing world design?
    Yes they still plan to use player made pieces in Next. I had Pre-purchased Landmark before it was in alpha state and i always knew it was gonna be a separate game. Sony has been in a lot of hot water because a lot of people were confused with the the original name, EQ Next Landmark and a lot of people bought it thinking it was the same game, so they decided to take the Next out of the name.

Pound you are right about Heaven and Hearth, I was thinking Fallen Earth, people say that Fallen Earth is a sandbox game and I don't really see it.
    I've never played Heaven and Hearth, so I can't say but if the graphics are like Salems, its well dated and worse off.

What I like about Xsyon is the movement systems and view. How the effect/building you have on the world, like terraforming and building.
    Crafting system at it's core is great in Xsyon, problem I see is that the usefulness of top end gear has no purpose. New players can craft highly effective items that top tier crafting only gives a slight effect over, with no need for end game crafted items.
    I expect that if he were to do some minor changes to economy and make top end crafting effective, the game would do really well once released on steam. That is where I see hope for this game is fixing some of these minor things because the core of the game is very solid. Crafting system and the bonus/effects at it's core are done very well just currently not balanced. Building system in Xsyon is top tier and I would place it in the top 5 all time of building for sandbox MMOs.

It has the fantasy style I like, later we can expect to see some magic in Xsyon also.

Combat in Xsyon is broken and would need a lot of work, however, still some of the basic core ideas and systems are advanced. Like the targeting system and how energy and charged attacks work. Putting in some special skills, fixing some of the lag, a healing system etc would do wonders for combat, but on top of that need to fix up some of the NPC's combat AI. Which I think he will find is a large project. Which is why I was surprised they took out PVP. PVP which is a good "content" combat system was removed from Xsyon, when I know AI is much harder to put into place.
    Many of the core systems in Xsyon are very solid and would be working with just a few tweaks and minor changes, code that I know is already done by him or would he easy and not a lot of time to do. Like a healing system to regen HP from eating food. I know the code is already there to do it, he just needs to put in a potion system to go with it.

Lack of ranged weapons in Xsyon is a major issue I have with the game, but due to the poor AI and how large of a task that is, I can understand why he is putting it off.

Why do I think it would ever release on Steam? Because it's already Greenlit, which means Xsyon himself is the only thing not releasing it on Steam. I expect once he feels the game is working well enough and would hold the attention of people that would flood in from Steam for him to release it on Steam.

If it were me, I would release it on Steam after putting in Cooking/Farming doing some minor quests for the tutorial, working on training up some guides and putting in more of a survival feel to the game. Like if your hunger goes to 0, you die, and harder areas in the game that take team work killing mutants and zombies, along with more threats to players like roaming bands of zombies that attack towns and players.
    Then while they are doing that, work on economy, by fixing the usefulness of crafted top tier items, and giving areas in the map better/more resources that require end game crafted items with skilled players (like hunters/gathers).

Doing these minor changes listed here at the end could take Xsyon from a blah game to a true "game". Right now I feel there is little game to be had here mostly just a building simulator with many aspects that are allllllllmost a game.
    Last edited by MrDDT; 07-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    @MrDDT, The Sandbox game world development is booming right now. Instead of one or two indi-titles coming out, there are 4 this year alone that I have been tracking not including those made by mods of existing games and turned into persistent online worlds.
    -The Repopulation
    -Life is Feudal
    -Gloria Victis
    -Arch Age

Those are just a few, there are about a half dozen if not more others that I don't remember the name to.
    I agree with this. These games are not as building focused as Wurm or Xsyon, but some of these sanboxes are just great.

I have an account with ArcheAge and love it. ArcheAge has been released in a few countries for a few years now. The Americas and I think Europe are the ones just getting alpha and beta, which are already finished. They are just fine tuning them for a different audience. The Korean market is different than the West, so they are making changes for that reason.

I have never played The Repopulation, but im temped to join their kickstarter. I hear its gonna be the closest thing to StarWars Galaxy and I thought SWG was the best Sandbox sense Ultima Online, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by booszilla View Post
    I agree with this. These games are not as building focused as Wurm or Xsyon, but some of these sanboxes are just great.

I have an account with ArcheAge and love it. ArcheAge has been released in a few countries for a few years now. The Americas and I think Europe are the ones just getting alpha and beta, which are already finished. They are just fine tuning them for a different audience. The Korean market is different than the West, so they are making changes for that reason.

I have never played The Repopulation, but im temped to join their kickstarter. I hear its gonna be the closest thing to StarWars Galaxy and I thought SWG was the best Sandbox sense Ultima Online, IMO
    Archeage is a great game, but it's not even in the same league as Xsyon, EvE, or Wurm when it comes to sandbox.

If you like themepark games, but still want a good deal of sand in them, Archeage is a perfect game. If you want a sandbox game, and little themepark, Archeage is not a game for you.
    When I think themepark, I think of scripted building areas AKA plots or prefab buildings, I think dungeons that are scripted with boss mobs, I think chars that are locked into skills they can use and armor they can wear. Granted Archeage has some aspects of a sandbox like it tries to put in as much sand as it can, but in some areas they fall back to theme park.

I do like a lot of the things they did in Archeage, but it just falls short for me. I do have an Alpha account and played it quiet a bit. One of the biggest problems I have is that you are limited in how much you can craft per day. Which to me breaks the game a lot for me. I will be playing it on release though.

Quote Originally Posted by booszilla View Post

I agree the labor sucks major and yea it is more of a sandpark game. I had to get use to it for those reasons hehe. I use to play EvE for a few years also. I had no idea they introduced a building aspect to the game.