Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVP or No PVP

Anytime combat is broken and not fixed, PVPers will quit and likely will not play. They are also more dependent on other people playing.

When you have 50 to 100 people playing and you split that to say best case 50 to 25 people per server. It will have a major impact on PVP.
    It's common sense.
    People didn't leave with totem decay, people came back. Not sure how much you have been playing, or what you know but you can simply ask in the questions and answers to the dev on what changes he thought effected the server the greatest and he will likely say that was one of the best ones for the server, along with carts.

You make me laugh about the gear. I could kill any player in game 1 v 1 naked with a shovel. I can kill any animal in the game naked and with my preorder weapon. Saying it's gear dependent makes me laugh pretty hard. Along with so many other incorrect statements like people leaving because of XYZ.
    Xsyon didn't remove old saw blades and people left, he put them back in the game. When Xsyon first removed old saw blades few people even knew about the change for a long time. It wasnt until months later that people started to cry about it, then he put it back in the game. Did you see people come back in mass because of it? No. You are trying to say all these things were bad for the game, but the sad part is the data doesn't support your thoughts.
    Baskets do not decay just FYI.

If you played the game at the start people did leave overnight. Major things that effected the # of people were 12 hour server roll backs, GM abuse, and massive server downtime. These happened within the first few days of release of the game. There were 1000s of people playing this game.

Znaiika, there is equal choice, I agree. If the game would had started with PVP or PVE servers I would have said go for it. But once you are down to 50 to 100 active players. You don't split that group up, that is just silly and one of the worst ideas ever.

Sadly I think the best thing for the game is a fresh start server once steam comes out, that is mixed PVP and PVE areas. I doubt we will see the second part, but the first we might see as a 3rd server IF steam does ok. Is my guess.

Xsyon Citizen
    I would not call this a split of population, people simply chose where to play freely, and as you can see people choose pve over pvp, people were split all along they just needed a choice, which finally came with two servers.

Znaiika I don't agree with a single thing you've said here and some of your claims based on opinion rather then reality are kind of amusing.

When your down to 50 players, there is NOT a "choice" of what server to go to, if you ask people, the majority of them will tell you they'd rather play pvp but they're on pve due to that being the place where the population is and NOT the better server. I can think of at least 10 people who have told me that, roughly 1/5th the servers population.

You honestly think people didn't quit instantly over the server switch? Are you daft or are you one of those crybabys who came back once pve was released and wasnt even playing before the server split like oak? I have *NEVER* seen at least 50 people again since the *FIRST* day of the server split. Thats not *over time* thats in a very short amount of time after the server split, the mass majority of people that *I* played with who enjoyed sparing, dueling, hunting and pvping, they all quit cuz they didnt want to play on a server that was MORE dead then the deadfish game this was before the servers split, the population has NOT got any better, as I said before, all the pvp people have quit, so there is no "two sides" to this anymore since all the people apposed to the idea have left the game and moved onto other games, like myself, I barely play this anymore due to the feeling that its not worth my time to continue to play on pvp with 10 other players, on a non-supported pvp server that the game dev has forsaken by removing the population in favour of a "couple" people coming back for pve.

Personally I don't think the people coming back for pve was worth watching all the diehard survivor/pvp players quit the game, sure you may have replaced the population that left, with others who support pve, but that doesnt change the fact that there is NOT a free choice between the two severs, every new player I meet lately starts on pvp but ends up on pve due to population and not wanting to play a MMO game alone.

I am going to clear the air with the facts and lock this thread.

The facts are as follows:

The game population had been declining steadily and reached an all time low right before the launch of the PvE server.

The active population has never dropped below 140 players. This active player count does not include free players that come and go and obvious alt accounts.

With the opening of the PvE server, the active population increased by 50% and has stayed at around that level. The active numbers on the the PvE server alone in terms of daily peak number of players, daily total number of players and total hours played per week have been higher than the numbers on the lone server before the PvE server was opened.

These numbers on the PvP server are lower. Overall numbers across the board have fluctuated but remained at about 50% higher than before the 2 servers existed.

Player retention has also been noticeably higher since the PvE server launched, with more players subscribing for 3 or more months.

Aside from the hectic launch period, there were 3 main updates that caused a heavy decrease in active game population.

1) Totem and tribe decay with the advent of revenants.
    2) Skill and stat balancing update.
    3) Opening the game to Free to Play.

Personally I feel the two content updates improved Xsyon. Tribe decay is necessary and opening up the game to free players had to be tried in today's environment. Some players did return with these updates, but not enough to compensate for those that left. The PvE server launch did cause some players to leave, but those that returned more than compensated for the loss.

Without any notion of the population on either server, 80% of new players go directly to the PvE server and never try the PvP server. Players are choosing PvE, not being driven to it.

Regarding players coming from Steam, the traffic is currently negligible and accounts for less than 1% of traffic to this site. The reason is that Xsyon is simply approved but not launched and no longer open for voting in the Greenlight program. Most of our Steam traffic came during the first month of being in the Greenlight program and more than 99% of Steam users have not visited our page yet. That is a fact. (Valve boasts over 75 million Steam users of which only 45,000 have visited our page).

In the past two years, the game population declined noticeably during the summer months. This summer it did not. Even with far less website traffic this summer, the active game population remained steady.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A lot of misconceptions are posted on this forums. I want it to be clear that I have access to a lot of information that most of you do not have. Many players rely on what they hear from other players or read on these forums, but this needs to be taken into account:

55,000 players have signed up on these forums.
    3,500 have posted at least once.
    1,000 have posted more than 10 times.

Most forum users that have posted have supplied very little in terms of feedback as the forum has been dominated by the most vocal players.

At the same time, I have received emails offering feedback, suggestions and opinions from over 10,000 players and potential players.

I also have the direct game data and stats, which often do not agree with perceptions being promoted here.

I have made some risky decisions in the past, some that I felt were necessary but the risk did not pay off.

The launch of the PvE server was not one of these decisions. The population was boosted when it was much needed. The numbers were close to what I expected. The two server setup has confirmed for me that 80% of new players choose PvE over PvP. Most importantly, two or more servers are required for the future and now I've had time to streamline the process of dealing with multiple servers.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the main intentions of having separate servers was to cater to PvP players by having a War server where conflict is allowed, even encouraged. I expected PvPers to be happy with this and I am very willing to now remove safe zones or make changes that would allow for more conflict if there was a demand for it.

The most positive change since the PvE server launch is that player conflicts that were causing almost daily disruptions to development almost entirely ceased. Although some systems I've worked on have not yet been patched or even discussed, I have been able to code more in the past 6 months without distractions than at any other time in the past 4 years.

PvP is not 'unsupported'. Both servers are updated equally and the features and improvements I've been working on this year are the same that I would have worked on if the PvE server had not been launched.

When the PvE server launched, I did notice several hard core PvP players cancelled their subscriptions. Shortly after the launch, I received multiple complaints from new players on the PvP server stating that they were being harassed and felt unwelcome. For those that want to PvP, you could have stuck around, welcomed players and kept the PvP server active by encouraging new players to play with you, rather than drive them away both in game and by these rants on the forums. You also could have done this to show me that a PvP server is desired and viable for Xsyon.

I set up the servers to give players a choice. If you want more players to play on your side, be it War or Peace, that is up to you!
    Last edited by Xsyon; 10-24-2014 at 07:32 AM.