Regarding resources

im speaking without much knowledge here since i only played some days on beta.

this will be a game centered on construction and on a constant evolution of the tribes based on their crafting and gathering of resources as well as territory control in the future etc...what im thinking is about the location of the resources, atm all seem too common, from trees, to rock, to the plastic/leather/metal/cloth from the resource piles, all available in all the parts of the world.

here comes the point, i would like to see zones of the world with a lack of X resource, other parts with loads of Y resource and so on, that way commerce and trading will be powered as well as politics, alliances and even gives some meaning to pvp to have control over those zones where the resources u need, or the best quantity of resources, are located.

what u think?

Quote Originally Posted by carlosfc1986 View Post
    im speaking without much knowledge here since i only played some days on beta.

this will be a game centered on construction and on a constant evolution of the tribes based on their crafting and gathering of resources as well as territory control in the future etc...what im thinking is about the location of the resources, atm all seem too common, from trees, to rock, to the plastic/leather/metal/cloth from the resource piles, all available in all the parts of the world.

here comes the point, i would like to see zones of the world with a lack of X resource, other parts with loads of Y resource and so on, that way commerce and trading will be powered as well as politics, alliances and even gives some meaning to pvp to have control over those zones where the resources u need, or the best quantity of resources, are located.

what u think?
    I support this proposal, however, there is zones without scrap piles, forest, sand/water....soooooooo it is kind of restricted as you want.

I think he means rather different scrap piles should contain different things, different types of wood with different stats in different areas and so on. its been discussed loads before.

I think it's going to work like this:

1. We start without the knowledge to build factories, mines, etc- so we have to dig through the scrap piles to find what we need.
    2. As the scrap starts to dissappear we will learn how to manufacture the items we were once having to find laying around.
    3. Technology in this game is going to evolve, we won't be digging through the scraps forever.

Also, there are already local resources like tar can only be found in 2 spots in the game that I know of, and basalt is another rare type of rock that is not in every location.

As more of the world opens up, we will start to see the ruined cities and less wilderness.

We have survived this apacoloypse because we just happened to be in the right area where the radiation wasn't able to penetrate and destroy the basic foundamentels of life that we all need to survive.

This is the entire point of prelude, to discover, and rebuild the world until more things evolve that allow us to better understand how to create some of these things that we can only find right now by digging through the old world.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    I think it's going to work like this:

1. We start without the knowledge to build factories, mines, etc- so we have to dig through the scrap piles to find what we need.
    2. As the scrap starts to dissappear we will learn how to manufacture the items we were once having to find laying around.
    3. Technology in this game is going to evolve, we won't be digging through the scraps forever.

Also, there are already local resources like tar can only be found in 2 spots in the game that I know of, and basalt is another rare type of rock that is not in every location.

As more of the world opens up, we will start to see the ruined cities and less wilderness.

We have survived this apacoloypse because we just happened to be in the right area where the radiation wasn't able to penetrate and destroy the basic foundamentels of life that we all need to survive.

This is the entire point of prelude, to discover, and rebuild the world until more things evolve that allow us to better understand how to create some of these things that we can only find right now by digging through the old world.
    That is exactly what is going to happen...we won't be living in grass huts forever, there will come a point where we build skyscrappers and have automobiles.... I love how this game will evolve and I am going to be here from the start and until the end.

Cool

I am interested in seeing how this game evolves, I hope it isn't too sudden but a gradual change, as real life dictates.

How does resource regeneration work? That's something I've been wondering. In the game, all gatherable resources seem to operate pretty much the same way mechanically, whether you're talking about grass, rock, branches, or scrap.

If I stand on a grass tile and harvest 4 units of grass, the resource depletes and the tile turns to dirt. (Very cool feature, by the way). I would presume the grass re-grows at some point?

If I only harvest 3 units, the tile remains as "grass." Does the tile re-grow to have a full 4 grass units in it?

Now, if I stand on a scrap tile, and harvest 4 units of scrap, the tile depletes and turns to dirt. Does it eventually return to being a scrap tile?

If I only harvest 3 scrap units from that tile, will it eventually go back to full capacity?

If there is no resource regeneration, then after a few months large areas of the game world will be stripped totally bare. Are there different rules for regeneration for different resources? For example, does grass regrow faster than branch-and-twig tiles?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    Where are all the buildings around the lake then? Why the big scrap piles?