Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    When my systems are in place, I might agree with you until then, I will disagree. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    If your objective was ONLY skills? On the PVP server I could do them all in about 1 or 2 months. Using your 100% rule.
    Having said that, all the skills to max is not a good objective, and also stats are important and they take much longer.
    Damn, 1-2 months play time is pretty extreme -- that's easily a year for even fairly hardcore players... especially when thats fighting against a decay system?? Does that mean you have to continuously grind to stay maxed?
    And that's with your game knowledge. Imagine a fresh or less knowledgable player like OP, no wonder he doesn't think all skills can be maxed.
    What does the PvP server have to do with it?
    How long with maxing STATS take, if they're the actually important bit?

He CAN find the knife blades just he doesn't like how uncommon he gets them. Likely he is training up a skill like hunting which uses a lot of blades and is upset that he doesn't have 100 blades everyday.
    This sounds like yet another issue. If grinding takes resources, and those resources are rare.... he can't even grind. Why does grinding a simple skill like hunting require so many rare resources?

Like I mentioned before, it sounds like you can't really appreciate the plight of the less wealthy here.
    This guy is logging on to go hunt some rabbits and all of a sudden his blade breaks, so now he has to go spend an hour to go find another one before he can do what he logged on to do... and if he is as casual as you say, his hunting is probably worthless, meaning he can't even trade people for better quality knives since they could do what he does way better.

Xsyon Citizen
    dprail, I don't think DDT understand that, he have too much real cash to buy many accounts plus he spends too much time playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dprail View Post
    Damn, 1-2 months play time is pretty extreme -- that's easily a year for even fairly hardcore players... especially when thats fighting against a decay system?? Does that mean you have to continuously grind to stay maxed?
    And that's with your game knowledge. Imagine a fresh or less knowledgable player like OP, no wonder he doesn't think all skills can be maxed.
    What does the PvP server have to do with it?
    How long with maxing STATS take, if they're the actually important bit?

This sounds like yet another issue. If grinding takes resources, and those resources are rare.... he can't even grind. Why does grinding a simple skill like hunting require so many rare resources?

Like I mentioned before, it sounds like you can't really appreciate the plight of the less wealthy here.
    This guy is logging on to go hunt some rabbits and all of a sudden his blade breaks, so now he has to go spend an hour to go find another one before he can do what he logged on to do... and if he is as casual as you say, his hunting is probably worthless, meaning he can't even trade people for better quality knives since they could do what he does way better.
    Where are you getting "rare" resource from? Its not rare, its uncommon.
    And its ONLY uncommon in scavenging, its common in hunting.
    Making a knife is pretty easy, it's only sorta hard for a new player (who starts with 1 or 2 of them depending on starting skills) because they can't kill a bear/deer.
    If you are a hunter (who uses blades the most) you can easy replace your blades just by hunting.

About the speed of grind, you said 100% of the skills, and I was talking about WITH decay. Decay is part of the grind of leveling a toon.
    PvP server effects on how to train some skills (combat ones) which make it easier on there than the PVE server.
    I think 1 to 2 months for every skill in the game isn't a long time, I think its a good time maybe even too fast.

Why would his blade break "all of the sudden"? It has a dura uses left displayed.
    If he has played long enough to break a blade, he should have MORE than enough resources to trade someone for 10 new blades, that's not even counting the fact you can get mats without using any equipment at all and trade those mats.
    Biggest problem comes with trying to buy them in global and on the crappy trade system not really how easy or hard they are to make.
    You are mixing 2 different problems. The one that znaiika is saying is not a real problem at all, the one that is a real problem is the lack of a real trade system that works, economy is very bad. Having said that, hunted items are normally very worth while, so anyone that is doing hunting should make good using global to chat with traders.
    Now making someone and doing it all yourself is another story. Anyone trying to "go it alone" should understand it will not be easy. That's on them in my opinion. It surely can be done, and after about 2 weeks of learning the game, its pretty easy.

Xsyon Citizen
    As I said, pointless, good luck with your way ddt Xsyon will not survive on those setting you want, because your aim is for a small crowd.

Yeah, I don't like to hand everyone the whole game on log in.

This is the main issue I've seen with people. They ask for things easier and easier and forget that getting everything makes it so they have nothing to do.

It's like when a new player logs in and says "where do I find nails?" and people say "here I will give you nails". This is a major issue of drive of players to do something. It seems minor but these new players WANT to play the game, not have things handed to them.

Then you have others like you who think they want all this stuff easier, until it's very easy then complain because they are bored, or just simply quit because there is nothing to do.

Xsyon Citizen
    I told you before and I will tell you again, you will never have good economy based on restrictions and chokes, which leads to lack of population, the root of lack of population is that people pay for game and then pay $15 monthly only to find out that they are limited in a sandbox game, those new players will actually quit because of your settings, not to mention those like me who don't like to be limited and choked in any way.
    Xsyon will never succeed if he keeps building this game your way, and he will loose the last chance of getting population when steam launches, I am 99% sure that people will stop trusting Xsyon after launch on steam.

You biggest issue ddt is your stubbornness.

Making a knife is pretty easy, it's only sorta hard for a new player (who starts with 1 or 2 of them depending on starting skills) because they can't kill a bear/deer.
    If you are a hunter (who uses blades the most) you can easy replace your blades just by hunting.
    You said he's probably a hunter (which uses a lot of blades) and is whining that he doesn't have blades to level with... So I guess you mean he's at the pre-bear/deer killing stage?... and it's not viable for him to get knifes in the way that you're suggesting?

About the speed of grind, you said 100% of the skills, and I was talking about WITH decay. Decay is part of the grind of leveling a toon.
    PvP server effects on how to train some skills (combat ones) which make it easier on there than the PVE server.
    I think 1 to 2 months for every skill in the game isn't a long time, I think its a good time maybe even too fast.
    1 to 2 months of play time, with veteran knowledge, on a server in which you can exploit pvp mechanics to level combat skills... That is an EXTREMELY long time. That means a newbie who plays 2 hours a day is still looking at ATLEAST 2 years to max out JUST the skills, and then there's this stat grind that you suggest is way more difficult. And you've already said that the grind itself is mostly just clicking and waiting, so yeah.. this doesn't sound like something that your average steam user is going to subscribe to long term.

This isn't about making things easier, it's about balancing the game so that at least the grind can be enjoyable, so that people continue playing long enough to start building a base of players.
    If this guy is having trouble getting just the material he needs to PLAY THE GAME, then it's probably not enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by dprail View Post
    This isn't about making things easier, it's about balancing the game so that at least the grind can be enjoyable, so that people continue playing long enough to start building a base of players.
    If this guy is having trouble getting just the material he needs to PLAY THE GAME, then it's probably not enjoyable.
    First off you can say that about just about any game. Please name a game where someone playing 2 hours a day will get 100% of the game done in less than a year? (MMO)

Second off, you are talking about some silly things, like leveling ALL the skills when no one wants to do that, even myself.

Third is I told you already you can't go by what this guy is saying because he doesnt do things as a normal person would. Like kill a deer for a knife blade likely because he didnt even know you could.

You make a statement at the end like "this doesnt sound like something your average steam user is going to subscribe to long term"
    Well I don't think that's the objective of the dev. He doesnt care about the avg steam sure, he is looking for a % of steam to come play the game and have fun. I bet if he gets a couple thousand people he would be more than happy. He is coding a dream game for him, not for the avg steam user. So remember this isnt about making the masses happy, and to be honest if this were about that, I would change some of the ideas I have. This is about making the game the way that Xsyon wanted and bring some people with it, it doesnt need to be millions and it likely wont even be 100s of thousands.

Focus on the things that will effect the game in the direction Xsyon wanted the game to go. Maybe this game isnt for me or you, maybe he wants others. But right now I don't see this game fitting anyone and I'm making my ideas and changes based on what I think works as a whole, not the masses and not for a few people just normal ideas that make things work correctly.

P.S. You say "exploit pvp" when it was made that way not an exploit. You make it sound like its not intended or bad, Xsyon new about it and changed the combat system to account for the time it takes to level up that way. Which is also why I believe it should be changed on the PVE server. (and pvp in a different way, like lower gains from pvp while increasing gains from pve)