This thread is for general discussion of the upcoming building system changes. Bugs and technical issues should be reported in the other multi-story feedback thread.
First, I know players are wondering what will happen with buildings that defy rules that will be enforced with the changes to the construction system. They will remain. Unfinished parts will require proper support to be completed and I will make adjustments as needed so that players can complete and improve their projects.
I understand the concerns expressed so far and would like to present information that is driving the decisions behind this update.
Technically the method currently used for multi-story building is a bug and an exploit that got out of control before I became aware of it. As players enjoyed the results and used it responsibly I allowed it to continue rather than implement the proper multi-story system that I had designed.
Players have used these methods to build some fantastic buildings! Yet, over time I've come to realize that the negative impact of the current methods outweighs the positive effects.
- The 'drop method' currently used is cumbersome and practically inaccessible to new players.
- This method has caused the creature path finding and blocking maps to be riddled with errors and is the root cause for several major issues with creature AI (such as creatures seen walking straight through walls).
- Using this method to overlap parts has resulted in some interesting creative combinations but also allows for unsightly merged parts causing collision and rendering problems.
- Using this method to place floating buildings has led to some cool constructions such as tree houses, but when used carelessly results in impossible bugged looking structures.
Here are some statistics regarding the current method of combining parts and drop building multiple stories:
Within the past year less 5% of characters that have built buildings have built overlapped parts or multiple stories.
Of the characters that have used these methods, many have been alt characters. Overall, roughly 3% of players that have built anything over the past year have used these methods and less than 1% of new players have reached this point.
Since these methods were discovered, less than 1% of builders have used these methods.
From the statistics and from talking to many casual players, I understand now that allowing the current methods have caused a major problem that active players don't see. The typical new player that comes to Xsyon attracted by screenshots of cool multi-story buildings sees no way of building beyond a single story. Some interact with active players but find the current methods awkward and time consuming and move on.
Very few new players reach the point where they can build in the manner shown off in screenshots and videos that drew them to Xsyon. Proper multi-story construction is needed!
I will emphasize something very important here: In general the current trick method of construction was used responsibly by a limited group of players. Making multi-story construction readily available to all players comes with the need to control construction. Without controls, players will not build responsibly and I can assure all of you that nobody will be happy with the results.
So here's where I am at now:
- I will continue with this update and it will be released as soon as possible.
- I see this as an opportunity to bring creative multi-story building to the average Xsyon citizen as well as greatly facilitate renovation for veteran players. New high level parts and recipes can be added which provide a goal for budding architects to work towards. Increased construction leads to increased need for materials which means increased trade and more new players sticking around longer.
- We'll start cautiously with restrictions and ease them if doing so does not reveal any problems.
- I would like feedback on specific situations that you players would like to be able to continue to build. Adjustments can be made to accommodate creativity and flexibility without compromising the integrity of creature path finding or allowing for ridiculous and unsightly construction. For example:
-- Tree houses: I can add taller and cantilevered supports that can allow for non floating tree houses.
-- Overlapped parts: If some overlapped parts have desirable results, I can add proper parts which combine the existing parts but with optimized collision.
Please provide locations or screenshots with the map panel on to illustrate the situation and I will do my best to allow for similar constructions to continue to be built as long as they will not cause problems.
I hope that this alleviates concerns and I thank you all for your feedback so far!