Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When Does the Game Take Place?

The frontpage says 1/1/2012, but it seems like that's the date of the apocalypse that creates the game's setting. When does actual gameplay begin?

With all the mutants running around, rusted out shells of automobiles, and nobody remembering the times before the cataclysm, it seems like it would be generations later... or is it like the next day and our characters are accountants from Oakland who happened to be vacationing in Tahoe when the bombs dropped?

Re:When Does the Game Take Place?

To answer your question, the prelude starts in 2012. The time actually passes in the game, so a month of gametime is a year (not exact, they are still looking into it)

If gameplay starts two years from now, does that mean I can visit the Tahoe Hyatt Regency? Nice place.

An isolated basin surrounded by mountains in a future American wilderness serves as a launching point for the ever expanding world.

mountains
    This is what got me so excited for this game. Mountain tribe all the way!

Not really an unusual answer. The apocalypse has happened. The world will be changed in unexplainable ways. I think it's somewhat unlikely that in a world where we don't remember a single bit of modern technology that you're going to find an intact hotel.

If you do, let me know. I'd love to join you there.
    Fohmyn M'hout
    "Magnificent! Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. Gold help me, I do love it so!"
    -General George Patton

Until some tribe wants to build a road through those mountains! I hope you're ready to defend!

Fohmyn wrote:
    I think it's somewhat unlikely that in a world where we don't remember a single bit of modern technology that you're going to find an intact hotel.
    But if we don't remember any modern technology and modern landmarks aren't there anymore, the game probably takes place a considerable amount of time after 01-01-2012, right?

The way it was explained to me (And this was a long time ago, so it may have been subject to change), we don't really understand our surroundings. We all are there, aware, together, but we don't remember what happened, where everything went, etc. The topography is the same as it is now, but most traces of civilization have disappeared.
    Fohmyn M'hout
    "Magnificent! Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. Gold help me, I do love it so!"
    -General George Patton