Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    Ok...

After reading everyone's posts I think I will weigh in here.

Let's define a few terms really quick to start.

Player Interaction: Different players being in close proximity, or physically near by. ( Jordi repeatedly said he wants this )

Player Driven Content: Player made quests, player run trade hubs, crafting for money/items/gear, etc...

Player Economy: Players interacting with each other to provide or seek to have needs fulfilled, by means of currency or barter.

Now the problems are what Jordi outlined, but let me add that most players don't want to go through all the effort to make quests, or run events, or even run around to other tribes, because they have been trained by other games to expect their hands held, or items be easily gained, or to be able to "corner" a market. This game was not designed to be liek the other games out there and to me that's a very good thing.

The economy must be driven by needs and wants to continue functioning. What Our Dev is doing is working towards that goal and trying to help us learn to cooperate to create that economy. We as players need to work with what he is doing.

The survival aspect of this game is minimal atm that's true, mostly just food and drink, and the occasional animal you may need to avoid. Bringing in better animal AI to allow for them to attack your homestead, or shoot, even eat up your food, can only happen with him working on the AI and pathing issue like he is right now. What he is planning with the trade hubs and tribes beyond the mist is just part of a grander plan that we need to work with him on to make it happen.

SO, so May I suggest that we move beyond the bickering over our personal desires and look to the overall scheme, and give things a try, give constructive feedback, and see what we as the players can do to drive the content forward, rather then complain its not like some other game.

Btw tying the trade totems together does nothing to help bring us together or develop an economy. Allowing us to see on our trade totem that XYZ tribe has an item we need, so that we could go to that tribes location to buy or trade for it would in my mind encourage more players moving around the map to interact with players. But letting you buy from your local totem any item ( ie auction house style ) would destroy what Jordi is trying to do here.

I agree fully with this post.

One of the key points as someone else already pointed out is that allowing players to see all listed items doesnt hurt bringing people together it helps, but allowing it to be bought from anyways and picked up at the same location you bought it (different from the stocked location) would hurt bringing people together.
    It also removes a major part of what is intended in the game. Which is moving goods around the map. On the PVP server it's meant to be dangerous. On the PVE server, it doesnt have that but it still has the part where it creates local pricing and communities.

I think another major issue about the survival aspect is that there is no need for building to survive. Which should be one of the major reasons to build in a survival game.

My main concern with this is that large tribes will lock or deny access in some way to their trade posts. I get that Xsyon wants to bring people together and it seems this plan does encourage such. What I think Xsyon is not anticipating is the selfishness of MMO players. There needs to be game mechanics in place to keep these type of attitudes in check.

I STRONGLY oppose the toll gate proposition. I'm biased as I prefer socials type setup. It's in the best interest of the community as a whole if individual players aren't allowed to hold important transportation route hostage.

edit...

The reason folks don't trade is simple.
    Who, has what, for how much, and where? Make it easy and convenient for player to answer those questions and people will start trading more. I don't think it's a problem to travel and get things.
    Last edited by Anon386; 04-08-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon386 View Post
    My main concern with this is that large tribes will lock or deny access in some way to their trade posts. I get that Xsyon wants to bring people together and it seems this plan does encourage such. What I think Xsyon is not anticipating is the selfishness of MMO players. There needs to be game mechanics in place to keep these type of attitudes in check.

I STRONGLY oppose the toll gate proposition. I'm biased as I prefer socials type setup. It's in the best interest of the community as a whole if individual players aren't allowed to hold important transportation route hostage.

edit...

The reason folks don't trade is simple.
    Who, has what, for how much, and where? Make it easy and convenient for player to answer those questions and people will start trading more. I don't think it's a problem to travel and get things.
    Tribes that lock up trade totems using my idea would have less funds to refresh them. Also any tribe that locks them up would make themselves less of a trade hub again hurting themselves. It is much better to have self defeating reasons for bad choices than hard-line codes in ways to stop it.

Yes of course travel is currently not a problem to pick up things because of death porting. No idea why death porting is still allowed in game it's one of the major reasons the Xsyon local economy is broken. Along with little money sink/drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Tribes that lock up trade totems using my idea would have less funds to refresh them. Also any tribe that locks them up would make themselves less of a trade hub again hurting themselves. It is much better to have self defeating reasons for bad choices than hard-line codes in ways to stop it.

Yes of course travel is currently not a problem to pick up things because of death porting. No idea why death porting is still allowed in game it's one of the major reasons the Xsyon local economy is broken. Along with little money sink/drive.
    I wasn't thinking about using death to shortcut the trip home. We could benefit from information so prospective buyers and sellers can more easily interact. Right now buyers can spend huge sums of time try to find something and likely will end up empty handed. Where as the sellers spend maybe 5 minutes stocking their trade totem outside a tribe.

After some thought, what I said about the information index (who, has what, where, how much) would make it much easier to solo and Xsyon doesn't seem to like that.

If Xsyon where to significantly boost a trade posts usefulness in proportion to the number of non-tribe or foreigners who trade at a tribes trade post it might work out. If ya block access to it, it becomes nearly useless. Now,if you open it up and also get your allies to stock trade totems in the immediate area a large tribe could benefit more.

These comments about "Large Tribes" are very misleading to new players.

I am the leader of a tribe with lots of members on the books, We have over the max number of members to top out buffs, stat boosts and area. But the reality is that we have maybe 6 active players and not all those play daily. The population for this game is very small, and there are NO large tribes that have say 20 or 30 people running around doing things. Some will claim that, some will try and lure any new player in with claims of wonderous training and perks... however... none of that it true.

I mention this because any comment that relates to large tribes is non sequitur. We would love to become a trade hub on the west side of the lake, have setup for it and have everything in place, but the facts are that we can do everything for ourselves and the only real trading or selling it to new players needing basic tools or waterskins, or the occasional vet wandering by to buy cheap blueprints if they can.

What Jordi is doing is trying to set things up for future increases in population, and have the mechanics in place to allow us the players to develop and maintain an economy, and provide trading centers to draw players together.

So lets help him test these things out, give him feed back on things that wont work, and by all means comment on the mechanics he is testing so he can see what we feel about it. BUT... Stick to the facts folks.

Atm if we were to put up walls and have a toll bridge we would only make ourselves hated. If we try and draw any new players to us but have high prices on desired items to prevent vets from wiping out the stock, we again become worthless to the new players. For now all we can do is test and give feedback.

NOW... if there was a way to have items for sale ONLY to allies, then we could limit the vets from wiping out the stock, and help new players get what they need and make it unnecessary to raise prices. We would have to allow even solo players to ally with us to make this work. To me this would be the single most useful addition to trade totems.
    Last edited by Mactavendish; 04-10-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post

Btw tying the trade totems together does nothing to help bring us together or develop an economy. Allowing us to see on our trade totem that XYZ tribe has an item we need, so that we could go to that tribes location to buy or trade for it would in my mind encourage more players moving around the map to interact with players. But letting you buy from your local totem any item ( ie auction house style ) would destroy what Jordi is trying to do here.
    I agree completely. If I can see that a big tribe is selling something I want and/or need, I would not mind the long trek to part with my hard earned cash. Heck, I may even see a few more things for sale that I normally would not travel for but would buy just cause Im there. Problem is I don't want to swim to VR or trek miles to Pawnee not knowing what's up in their trade totems. So.. what I do now is occasionally, when I have the time and inclination, I visit totems randomly and once in a blue moon I get lucky.

Also, I am a Homesteader. I like to have my own little place. I would love the idea of being able to keep my little piece of land and still belong to a large tribe but so far, that is not possible. If it ever is, I for sure would find a large tribe who would take me in