Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dungeons & Dragons

Does anyone here play old school D&D / AD&D?

You know... pen, beer & paper, little metal figurines, funky dice, no computers involved.

Re:Dungeons & Dragons

DnD 4.0 was shitty enough to retroactively destroy the entire franchise for me. No thanks.

Although I played it some in the past, I guess, it was cool and all... but there's better board games out there now, and I'm frankly just disgusted with the state of DnD.

Visitor

Yeah i used to play it a hell of a lot (from 1st edition onwards) .. Not any more though, i guess im a bit too old now (37).. plus no-one i know plays any more. I dont actually mind the 4th edition, the mechanics are pretty good. 3rd edition was getting far too bloated for my liking and i hated the stupid builds people used to have (fighter2/cleric1/thief2/wizard3 etc.)
    Dont sweat the petty things...never pet the sweaty things!

I was just thinking that Xsyon reminds me of another pen and paper RPG called Rifts.

a long time ago, but I liked Ars Magica way better.

I can't find a 2ed group. I played 4ed and it felt like I was playing an MMO on paper, was terrible. In 2ed there was so much freedom, in 4ed you can't do anything remotely innovative.

Visitor

Sique wrote:
    in 4ed you can't do anything remotely innovative.
    You can, its just that its left more upto the dm and players to decide the outcome(like 1st ed) - instead of having a rule for absolutely everything(like 3rd ed).
    4th edition certainly split the community in 2 though..
    Dont sweat the petty things...never pet the sweaty things!

I use to play with pokemon cards, does that count? :dry:

I play 3.5 rules, that is where the game shines the most.

I have not played for a while. Some friends have a steady game going, kinda liek the geeky version of Poker night.

If I had the time I would jump back into it though.
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.

Niccolo Machiavelli