Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I play this game AS A CASUAL PLAYER because it does have a low population, because it has elements that are PvE soloable, because I don't have to interact with a single player if I don't want to, because I like being self-sufficient etc, etc. I wholeheartedly agree with a nice middle ground where any player can play as they wish and for THEIR OWN reasons. Not for the reasons data supports or you support but for whatever varied reasons they(I) care to play for. And BTW, the majority of MMO players are much more PvE related (data supported) and there are direct correlations to this and a more casual atmosphere IN GENERAL.

You are wrong in saying that I think making things easy means more people will stay, and hard means more leave. No, I'm saying that it is my opinion that if people with play styles/mindsets such as yourself clamor for the removal of deathporting that it would be a mistake to remove it without first addressing why it is used and wanted by a certain number of players, let alone the fact that it has been in the game 4 years without hardly a complaint.

I only give opinions based on my play style and what I like and don't like about any given issue. I don't give opinions based on 'data' or what I think a developer want's to hear or what 'most people' think. Just what I think.

There has not been and will not be a game that people will not eventually get bored with. I have been bored with this game for a year. I take breaks yet I still come back and play because I can do so CASUALLY. Xsyon is it's own game and in my opinion it's best strength is that it is different and should follow it's own course not some other games model. Again economy is the developers concern not mine. I'll give opinions based on my game play and summarily go back to enjoying what I like about the game. I don't play or not play the game because the 'economy' isn't some ideal thing that exist only in my head or some other game.

At the end of the day if it is THE DEVELOPER'S DECISION to remove deathporting it is my opinion that before it is removed ALL these 'few things' you mention and possibly more should be opened to feedback and then brought into game BEFORE deathporting is removed to adequately compensate for the loss of it.

I never played UO and I have no plans to ever play EVE. They are not games that hold any interest whatever for me because they are PvP-centric, not just in that they have PvP but also in that their whole philosophy is based in that mindset/play style. And, that is exactly my point.

Try this since you want to advocate for what the 'data' supports (based on your own opinion). Go back through all the repeated post you have made hammering everyone multiple times in the same thread with how you think the game should be developed and correlate the times where the developer has took your arguably 'superior' opinion and implemented it outright. That data collection might help you to understand that while you have an opinion equal to anyone else here it most certainly counts not a jot more --therefore a reasonable person might conclude that one or two posts per thread would suffice to express ones opinion. (this makes 3 for me, I'm out)

While I also hope this helps, I'm resigned to believing that it will not.
    Last edited by wastelandstoic; 07-13-2015 at 05:34 PM.

I am a reasonable person and from my understand when you are having a problem or debate or discussion you should have a dialog or back and forth. I believe it unwise to just state something have someone counter and then end of discussion. Why not continue cordially on the topic until you work out all the detail to a satisfaction of all interested or related parties.

Having said that, I never said that PVE was not what most MMO gamers want, I was talking about making something too easy or too hard. I agree and I've said it for a while that Xsyon should focus on PVE. Which is also why I was wondering how he was going to take the good/evil system he talked about log ago. He replied he was going to wait on it. So now I post opinions on the death system for a PVE system.

Removing deathporting before addressing the weight system I think would be harmful also, I agree with you on that wastelandstoic. But I also think making a mail system like WOW or themepark games wouldn't be good for Xsyon's grove either.
    Right now I believe the weight system is a massive pain in the butt and need to be changed. Sure it will be unrealistic for people to carry 1000 bricks, but currently they can carry a huge log on their back no problem. Lets at least make the game playable and fun. Then worry about changing some realism back into the game.

I also think we have to take some of your advice with a grain of salt if you want to keep the population low. As pretty sure that is not what the dev wants. I think he wants it relatively low. Like less than 50k but nothing like we have now. So any changes you are basing your opinions on for a low population option to keep people away wouldn't really be inline with what the dev wants. But I could be wrong.

I think it's really clear to put the deathporting option out of the game with full inventory dura loss, with insurance $ option, would be the best option. When doing that, change the weight of items lower, or increase what people can carry. Make carts much much more effective.

I'll go along with your theory on posting for one more post...

I think it's really clear that you are completely out of touch with the fact that this game has ONE DEVELOPER who has a chosen priority and list of issues that he has set to work on. You in effect by your opinion and it's contingencies would have him scrap that list in favor or yours, which is ever growing and changing based on the game YOU want.

I am playing the game right now and have been for a good while. I like it just as it is. I'm hopeful about any changes that will be forthcoming and welcome many of them, including an increased population --that could increase greatly and still be considered low-- as it will remain an Indy game and that is to be expected.

I think it's really clear that the issue of deathporting (if its an issue at all) be put aside for another time, much farther down the road, when it might then make sense to address it.

I'm doing 2 things.

Giving an opinion on what I think needs to be done and when.
    Also showing that if you do 1 thing you will likely need to do another first.

You already agreed that removing deathporting you would also have to do something with weight of items or something. I was stating the same thing.

If I were to post just things I want but that were not in the vision of the dev, I would post a lot more than that. It would have to do with territorial wars, and group combat, along with rare items using rare crafted things to get them.
    I understand the dev doesn't or can't do these things, and I limit my suggestions and opinions to what I believe he can do, and is willing to do.
    Xsyon has wanted regional resources and has done a few things to try to promote it. I'm stating my opinion that if you want regional resources (like he seems to want) then deathporting is stopping that or hurting it so greatly it's infective. Also because people use deathporting to move heavy amounts of items and general trading that if you stop deathporting, you will need to do something about the weight of items and the way that carts work or people will be really upset. The last part at least I know you agree with.

Not listed in the suggestions by Xsyon that I think is a good option is leaving a grave that lasts for like 72 hours. So it would be 100% item drop and you would need to get all your inventory and gear off the grave. Now I've heard how people don't like this and they think back to the old "EQ" days of running back for your grave. So I've not said that either how might not want to do that.

I do not see why later down the road would be good to change deathporting. I'm off the opinion that Xsyon likes to change it sooner rather than later and not do a 1/2 fix. I figure now is the best time with fewer people effected and used to deathporting than down the road when people expect its the normal thing and you pull the rug out from under them.
    Xsyon has said before while working on the code he wants to get all of that area done. This would be related to the death penalties code area.

DDT, despite the number of posts in this thread against death porting, you are still the only person concerned with it. Any death penalty will reduce but not eliminate death porting. Too harsh death penalties to eliminate death porting will just drive players away.

Your whole "regional resources" argument is specious. Heavy items such as bricks, dirt, logs, shadow bear bones, etc. are not regional resources. Regional resources are schemes, blue prints, and rare types of metal and plastic. While heavy items such as poles, studs, sheets etc. can come in rare types of metal/plastic, they are not used in armor crafting so the bonus is not used. A steel pole from my local junk pile is functionally the same as a titanium one from across the map. Titanium buckles/decorations/rivets, etc. are light. A trade for regional resources will not appreciably increase a character's encumbrance.

It's been stated in this thread that cutting the travel time for a trade in half with a death port encourages trade, specially for casual players. You continue to insist that it is killing trade, but have never explained why.

You must have missed the post I said that they should put in a mail system if you believe deathporting hurts trade. Wouldn't you agree that a mail system would support this style of trade more?

My point is that if you want to support REGIONAL resource system. Deathporting option makes the whole world 1 region effectively.

If you do remove deathporting, you should look at the weight of items and carts because it will have a major impact on the way that people are playing.

Also clearly you are not reading the thread because I can see that YOU, and at least 3 others are concerned with deathporting.

FYI Shadowbears are a regional resource. They do not spawn in areas and do in others. That's the definition of regional.

You can not find a "pole" titanium or steel in all areas, again that is regional. I never said his regional resource system was working well, in fact I said the other way around.
    I hope I cleared that up.

Final note, I think no matter what the option, punishing people that choose to die vs live should be the end goal.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I'm doing 2 things.
    yup, Stroking your ego and indignantly repeating your opinions over and over in the hopes that they will be the only ones heard.

Giving an opinion on what I think needs to be done and when.
    Which you do repeatedly, making the same point again and again, which is redundant and comical.

Which assumes everyone else including the Dev is a moron, incapable of making this conclusion for themselves.

If I were to post just things I want but that were not in the vision of the dev, I would post a lot more than that.
    Obvious, and no surprise to anyone in these forums. Redundant.

I limit my suggestions and opinions to what I believe he can do, and is willing to do.
    I'm guessing you have no idea of the definition of 'limit' where this game and your opinions are concerned.

I'm stating my opinion that if you want regional resources (like he seems to want) then deathporting is stopping that or hurting it so greatly it's infective.
    Yup, what is it five or six times now you have said the same thing. Is this the back and forth you were talking about? What's the point again?

The last part at least I know you agree with.
    Lets be VERY CLEAR, I do not agree with ANYTHING you advocate (in principle). I agreed with a hypothetical situation where this effected that and that effected something else. I don't see where it's practical to give opinions on those kinds of situations with any expectation.

Not listed in the suggestions by Xsyon that I think is a good option is leaving a grave that lasts for like 72 hours. So it would be 100% item drop and you would need to get all your inventory and gear off the grave. Now I've heard how people don't like this and they think back to the old "EQ" days of running back for your grave. So I've not said that either how might not want to do that.
    I see this as nothing but fantasy at the current time and redundant.

I do not see why later down the road would be good to change deathporting.
    Of course you don't, you have nothing but your OWN version of the game rattling around in your skull and that's all you ever see or hear --I'm sorry, that's sad.

I suggest you pm me your email address where we can continue a lengthy, continuing and for you disappointing correspondence --because I'm sure Xsyon does not want it cluttering up his forums. And remember, right now we are using your theory of posting.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT
    Quote Originally Posted by wastelandstoic View Post
    Which assumes everyone else including the Dev is a moron, incapable of making this conclusion for themselves.
    I'm happy you came to that conclusion also. Glad the main point I was making is seen.

Final note, I think no matter what the option, punishing people that choose to die vs live should be the end goal.
    That's the crux of the matter. You want to punish players who don't play the game the way you want them to. I'd like to see more players playing and could care less how they do it if they don't grief me. Already too many new players hug the shores of the lake and rush to build walls they can hide behind. Exploring and interacting with other players are the best parts of this (and any) MMO. Too harsh death penalties will hurt trade, server population and ultimately Jordi's bottom line.

I think the death porting issue has been fully discussed at this point. I'm going to weigh in real quick with my opinions.

Death porting is not something I designed or intended. In the very original design of Xsyon, when you die you would have death penalties and revive near your body. Infirmaries would allow you to revive in a nearby town with reduced penalties for a fee.

The current use of death porting is one of these things that I'm usually the last to hear about. :-) I am, and have been aware of it for a while now, but aside for facilitating trade and movement of larger building materials I don't feel it's having a major impact on the game right now.

I do think, however, that it breaks immersion and deviates from the game that I originally designed and would enjoy. Like the previous multi-story building tricks, it's something that veteran players take for granted as part of the game, but new players don't know about. Long time active players use death porting as a solution to carrying large loads across great distances. New players have the same problem without the solution (unless they join larger tribes or are informed by a friendly player). This creates an imbalance.

What needs to be addressed is the root problem - transporting heavy building materials from one side of the world to another.

I did want to implement death penalties while the infirmary was a new addition.

I understand that some players want inconsequential penalties so that they can continue to use death porting.

The reason for death porting is transporting heavy materials across large distances.

This root cause needs to be addressed first!

At this point, I will hold off on death penalties until my work on creatures is done. The creature update will include mounts and I will see about implementing larger carts pulled by mounts shortly after. This is going to change how materials are transported and I will look into further revising the scavenge tables at that point (including removing object / material combinations that are not really necessary).

Thanks for all the feedback! These type of discussions help me get to the core issues.