Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Watch out guys pks are leaving a sandbox game better change things fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ac1dtrip View Post
    You do realize that other players are typically the content in a sandbox game, yeah? People leaving out of any group is bad because you need all groups for a great sandbox game.

Crafters= merchants
    Good aligned PVPer= police/knights
    Evil aligned PVPer= Organized Crime/ Villian
    Neutral PVPer= Merc (typically)
    PKers= bandits
    Soloers= a little bit of everything

Griefers= whiners and everybody's favorite chew toy. I consider those who whine about getting the raw end of the deal by playing the game griefers. This is because this is a PA world and dying or getting shafted on resources is part of the game. Suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    I would like you or any of the other people here to explain me this sentence: "No one wants to be doing repitious tasks just to have it vanish and not count towards the final goal."
    I guess I could have been a little more eloquent. Most mornings when I make forum posts I am outside in a loud diesel shop on an old ratty computer typing as fast as I can in hopes my co-workers don't see what I'm up to HAHA.

I meant that as you've lost the time it took to complete a certain task.

Specifically in this case each of our guildmates had a goal for that day. My buddies goal was to cut trees and get ready. He took the day off and had HUGE stacks that were staged up ready to be dragged over. It rolled back with some of the stacks out away from the totem, none had been dragged over.
    A neighboring clan logged in after the rollback and simply dragged what still showed up to their safe zone.. it crashed again so we dragged them to ours.. after doing this two times we said fuck it and they got all the wood. Its not the trees.. its the fact he devoted his day to accomplish something and basically had done it.. only for the server mistake to erase all that effort. His "final goal" was to get all our lumber up and moved over to our area so we could get started.

Very seldom do I log in without a plan of things I'd like to get accomplished between my pvp outings.

Quote Originally Posted by ac1dtrip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    You do realize that other players are typically the content in a sandbox game, yeah? People leaving out of any group is bad because you need all groups for a great sandbox game.
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I fail to understand what "final goal" means in an MMO. Specially a sandbox MMO
    Quote Originally Posted by coca View Post
    I meant that as you've lost the time it took to complete a certain task.

Specifically in this case each of our guildmates had a goal for that day. My buddies goal was to cut trees and get ready. ... Its not the trees.. its the fact he devoted his day to accomplish something and basically had done it.. only for the server mistake to erase all that effort. His "final goal" was to get all our lumber up and moved over to our area so we could get started.

Very seldom do I log in without a plan of things I'd like to get accomplished between my pvp outings.
    Precisely this ^ ; you create your own "final goal" in the 'sandbox MMO', but repetitive tasks usually are towards the goal of crafting and/or skilling up? With the end result being that you are better at that than someone who has NOT spent the time doing those repetitive tasks.
    And the point of that is? Well, what's the point of life anyways?
    You can think like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4
    all you want, but sometimes it is difficult... depending on how the game is made (or how your outlook on life is).

A good game will make even the drudge-work a little bit enjoyable (gathering, sorting, organizing, crafting slot-machine in Xsyon is almost fun in and of itself, I have to say).
    Notice Xsyon does not have a level counter? Yeah, tricky bit of psychology there; I like it, but the game is still full of goal-oriented tasks (self-guided or not),
    so when what you do is not just taken away by the game mechanics (E.G. your own choice/skill within the game), but by the game world/rules changing...

i dont sleep anymore! thats how i get stuff done ingame :-)

Crafters= merchants
    Good aligned PVPer= police/knights
    Evil aligned PVPer= Organized Crime/ Villian
    Neutral PVPer= Merc (typically)
    PKers= bandits
    Soloers= a little bit of everything

Griefers= whiners and everybody's favorite chew toy. I consider those who whine about getting the raw end of the deal by playing the game griefers. This is because this is a PA world and dying or getting shafted on resources is part of the game. Suck it up.
    Have you seen the thread on tribes listed by Hopibear? There are maybe 2 or 3 "good" tribes. . . one of which is Hopi which is a crafting tribe. .about 2 thirds are neutral and 1/3 are evil and PvP oriented. I don't disagree with you and I know that "evil" tribes will likely fight each other as well while the "good" tribes will team up. . but still.. it is a little unbalanced at this point. Makes me want to join one of the two "good" PvP tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethaeryn View Post
    Have you seen the thread on tribes listed by Hopibear? There are maybe 2 or 3 "good" tribes. . . one of which is Hopi which is a crafting tribe. .about 2 thirds are neutral and 1/3 are evil and PvP oriented. I don't disagree with you and I know that "evil" tribes will likely fight each other as well while the "good" tribes will team up. . but still.. it is a little unbalanced at this point. Makes me want to join one of the two "good" PvP tribes.
    That's why I made a distinction on good aligned PVPers. I was making a distinction on the type of players, not tribes lol. Btw I agree that good and evil are usually unbalanced in games, but its also unbalanced in RL. I mean the Criminal to law enforcement ratio is highly in favor of criminals (Counting all criminals not just the really nasty ones). If you want to be a good aligned PVPer then by all means go for it ^^. Like I said we need all types of players even the PKers because they make life exciting for the crafters (and you never realize whats something is worth until its worth protecting).

Evil and PKers also give work for crafters, mercs, and good PVPers (indirectly and directly). Also I'm not a heavy roleplayer in games but I do get into my "character" in sandbox games. You really don't have a choice because essentially, the character, is what you would be in whatever setting the sandbox game is in.

I'd also like to point out that just because you are a warring tribe (PVP) you are not always evil. It's just how you've chosen to survive. IMO in a PA world the only true alignment is Survival everything else is irrelevant.

Sorry for spewing words lol, I just keep typing sometimes.

First of all Coca, thank you for that explanation. I had mistakened it for something else I hear a lot these days.

Like I said before, no one enjoys a rollback, but these things do happen unfortunetly. Is it bad enough to have someone leave? Well, all of us need to make that decision (and dont need to brag it on the forums). I believe yours was not that case. You're pointing out your concerns in a way that I believe is a lot more constructive than what has been observed latelly here.

Lag is horrible. Yes. Are they fixing it? I believe so. Will it be better? Either that or the servers close, since I dont think anyone will be here indefinetly.

But lets think about it...cant it get better? Is there some actual force reventing it from suceeding? The only thing that might make it a fail is us. Yeah, thats right, us! We're the only people that can drive Xsyon to fail. We can do that by posting on public forums (here or otherwise, as has been done already), on youtube and to every single person we know how horribly bad Xsyon is. How full of lag, broken features and broken promises it is. If we do that, it will fail. I can garantee that.

Or we can prevail. We can undesrtand this is a niche game, the team is small and the budget is smaller. That an MMo is a hard enterprise, and that the features they want implemented are hard to pull...some are even unheard of before. That all MMO's have bad launches (if anyone states Rift my reply is "Go back to Rift then"), specially indie MMO's.

Can we play with this lag? Some can aparently. Others cant. Any MMO out there will give you 1 month with the purchase. You have 2 and a half months. It hasnt even been a week from launch...hell...it hasnt even been 3 days.

Its time people make their decisions. The Devs are working...too busy to read ranting, and too focused to pay atention to complains. Its time we get to work too.

Its like you and your buddies and the wood gathered. We can start to gather some wood out here and be constructive, come together as a community and endure the pain, or we can quit.

Your call.

That's why I made a distinction on good aligned PVPers. I was making a distinction on the type of players, not tribes lol. Btw I agree that good and evil are usually unbalanced in games, but its also unbalanced in RL. I mean the Criminal to law enforcement ratio is highly in favor of criminals (Counting all criminals not just the really nasty ones). If you want to be a good aligned PVPer then by all means go for it ^^. Like I said we need all types of players even the PKers because they make life exciting for the crafters (and you never realize whats something is worth until its worth protecting).

Evil and PKers also give work for crafters, mercs, and good PVPers (indirectly and directly). Also I'm not a heavy roleplayer in games but I do get into my "character" in sandbox games. You really don't have a choice because essentially, the character, is what you would be in whatever setting the sandbox game is in.

I'd also like to point out that just because you are a warring tribe (PVP) you are not always evil. It's just how you've chosen to survive. IMO in a PA world the only true alignment is Survival everything else is irrelevant.

Sorry for spewing words lol, I just keep typing sometimes.
    Nah that all makes sense. . and before I bail from these forums I will agree with one thing for sure. After playing Meridian 59. . UO etc. I moved into DAoC. . eventually I was playing games with only consentual PvP for years. I had forgotten what it was like to be in a sandbox. Then I played Darkfall. . and MO. . .They didn't quite do it for me for several reasons (I won't get into that) but they did do one thing. . they ruined other games for me. There is just no going back now. I can never play a game that doesn't have at least mostly open PvP and a skill based system. Sandboxes do need all kinds of players to reach their full potential.

When evil outbalances good people start getting together and fighting it.. . with artificial limitations in place that can't happen as much. With levels. . a lynch mob of 7 guys has no chance against a way higher level player who keeps ganking them. Open is the way to go for sure and most sandboxes have issues because they are not on rails and have so much going on. So back on topic. . if the OPs friends bail. . I hope they come back. . they don't know what they might be missing . . . I still have to say might

Quote Originally Posted by Aethaeryn View Post
    Nah that all makes sense. . and before I bail from these forums I will agree with one thing for sure. After playing Meridian 59. . UO etc. I moved into DAoC. . eventually I was playing games with only consentual PvP for years. I had forgotten what it was like to be in a sandbox. Then I played Darkfall. . and MO. . .They didn't quite do it for me for several reasons (I won't get into that) but they did do one thing. . they ruined other games for me. There is just no going back now. I can never play a game that doesn't have at least mostly open PvP and a skill based system. Sandboxes do need all kinds of players to reach their full potential.

When evil outbalances good people start getting together and fighting it.. . with artificial limitations in place that can't happen as much. With levels. . a lynch mob of 7 guys has no chance against a way higher level player who keeps ganking them. Open is the way to go for sure and most sandboxes have issues because they are not on rails and have so much going on. So back on topic. . if the OPs friends bail. . I hope they come back. . they don't know what they might be missing . . . I still have to say might
    Everyone who has the game now has a 2 month subscription. If the problems can be fixed in this time iam sure you will read many positiv feedback on the forum and everyone who maybe got uninterested will be look into the game again.....and when they see how a player can influence the world they stay anyways