Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I would put forth the suggestion (btw, all good tips on the OP, english was fail though) that the optimal loadout is the EVE manner. Zoning areas, but with flag options (wardecs and such). It gives everyone their own place in the sandbox, and keeps the true Carebears (not the people that like to have a purpose for PvP, but like the risk of PvP in the game, which is the vast majority of players, but real and true Carebears that rage about PvP all the time), happy so they continue to play.

Contrary to what the pro-PvP everywhere types would like to believe, Carebears are the core of every MMO, because they are the ones that primarily hold all the manufacture and keep the economy stable.

That's not to say that PvP should not be around, people like PvP. I, personally, don't often choose to PvP but get bored quickly of an MMO if the risk of PvP isn't there (I lived my entire four years of life in EVE in lowsec or nullsec. I preferred lowsec because, quite frankly, it was a lot more dangerous). However that there should be small safe zones that the Carebears can hang out in and have their fun is, in my mind, a clear and obvious thing.

Once the Carebears leave, the game begins to die. It's an inevitability.

That said, assuming some sort of safe zone, there should be no direct access to the better grade of materials for construction there, they should, like in EVE, either have to risk the wilds to get them, or pay people to risk the wilds for them. It makes for a solid economy that way.

Further, such forced segregation of risk levels makes it much easier for developers to tweak the risk/reward ratio to the satisfaction of the players, enticing players to leave the safety of freedom for the dangers of the world. It really just ends up working out for everyone in the long run.

Exacly! Why isn't the EvE model ever used on land based mmos? If an area is "civilised", why is it still completely unsafe in most mmos?

In Xsyon, perhaps the radius of large settlements could spread a guarded 'semi-safe' zone around the Lake, and deeper in, and beyond the mist would be the true wilderness where anything goes, where Tribes who like to live on the edge can settle and duke it out in the typical "neutral criminal guild" fashion, the players who like it safer can stay in the smaller current area doing their thing, with traders dotting the borders passing goods to and from the wilds (which would have harder to get stuff available). Think of the potential of that, both in game content and sociopolitical systems, and in population growth..

@Asmodeous: Well written and excellent points! (Oh and the original article was a copy/paste from another site, not my grammar and spelling.)

Most players would be happy with zones. Safe tribal areas for the non PVP crowd and areas of increased risk providing better resources - fair enough. Meaningless and endless PVP with open griefing equals just another small failed release. A few thousand DFO players and few hundred MO players does not make for a successful mainstream game. Last time I hopped into MO it was dead. A non existant economy. Empty cities - not much of a community. I gave up on DFO ages ago. Community sucked. Another FFA PVP full loot no safe zones game means nothing more than a niche/fringe game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystais View Post
    @Asmodeous: (Oh and the original article was a copy/paste from another site, not my grammar and spelling.)
    Hahaha. Yeah, it's readily apparent you didn't write it, don't worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post
    I would put forth the suggestion (btw, all good tips on the OP, english was fail though) that the optimal loadout is the EVE manner. Zoning areas, but with flag options (wardecs and such). It gives everyone their own place in the sandbox, and keeps the true Carebears (not the people that like to have a purpose for PvP, but like the risk of PvP in the game, which is the vast majority of players, but real and true Carebears that rage about PvP all the time), happy so they continue to play.

Contrary to what the pro-PvP everywhere types would like to believe, Carebears are the core of every MMO, because they are the ones that primarily hold all the manufacture and keep the economy stable.

That's not to say that PvP should not be around, people like PvP. I, personally, don't often choose to PvP but get bored quickly of an MMO if the risk of PvP isn't there (I lived my entire four years of life in EVE in lowsec or nullsec. I preferred lowsec because, quite frankly, it was a lot more dangerous). However that there should be small safe zones that the Carebears can hang out in and have their fun is, in my mind, a clear and obvious thing.

That said, assuming some sort of safe zone, there should be no direct access to the better grade of materials for construction there, they should, like in EVE, either have to risk the wilds to get them, or pay people to risk the wilds for them. It makes for a solid economy that way.

Further, such forced segregation of risk levels makes it much easier for developers to tweak the risk/reward ratio to the satisfaction of the players, enticing players to leave the safety of freedom for the dangers of the world. It really just ends up working out for everyone in the long run.
    They dream of some sandbox wonderland that exists only in dreams and any attempt to crate it has failed miserably. So they go from game to game, ask to be created and to fail again. I asked them, how many more games need to fail before they get what vast majority got quite some time ago - it just doesnt work (CCP got it back in '03, well, when they started making it, so before '03)
    EvE-like system could be implemented to Xsyon (i would say in one way it is implemented already, it just remains to be seen in which direction it evolves).
    Wise man learns from past mistakes, stupid man repeats same mistake over and over again.

There's nothing wrong with the content of the OP. Even though we have a small safe zone, we all go out in the world (or I do, anyway), and the basic advice is sound. I'm not a kill him before he kills me player, I like to go into hide mode and slip away if I see someone before they see me, but I stand a much better chance of doing that if I'm aware of my surroundings and panning the camera in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post

I agree the majority of players would be happy with this, its what ive been saying for weeks, you put it very well. Its just about balance, I think its more sandboxy to accomodate peoples gameplay choices it never did SWG any harm and they went even further with a flagging system. Personally i wouldnt want that here, maybe times have changed! Nothing wrong with allowing different play styles to prosper though. The all out pvp and no escaping it is desperatly flawed in so many ways and just alienates people as would the opposite - pve only. We dont need extremists but rather level headed moderate ideas that include a large part of the comminity that is looking for a game like this.

I don't get people saying "This isn't a PvP centric game, get used to it" and the like. It's open PvP minus some small territory around your totem (for now). So no matter how hard you cry about it in game or on the boards it isn't going to stop people from killing you. Whether you like it or not you're have to going to deal with PvP same as PvPers are going to have to deal with crafting. Take the advice above if you're not used to an open PvP game... or don't. I love the tears of the recently dead. >=)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwanderer View Post
    I don't get people saying "This isn't a PvP centric game, get used to it"
    people are saying that because the developer himself has said that in interviews. he specifically says that xyson is about building the world and crafting and that PVP is not the driving force. IF it was pvp centric than it would be the driving force, you also would have the feature page devoted to pvp but it is devoted to everything else except for a couple lines for pvp. Once prelude is over than pvp becomes more centric as by that time there will have been the tribal seiges, combat mechanics implemented,

right now all there is to combat is point your character and press 1 or 2 how pvp centric is that?