Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    DDT, don't you think 6 months is not something this game can afford? Hell, it's been what, 7-9 months since release? I love this game man and I feel ya on defending those people, but 6 months is a bit of a stretch. If someone paid for the initial cost of the game, plopped a totem, stopped paying the sub, and haven't returned for over 3 or 4 months they are not coming back and have no right to be upset their stuff is gone. This is a game that depends heavily on land and resources, both of which are claimed all over the world by inactive totems that haven't been touched or logged into in months. New players come into the game, see the dead areas everywhere, and log right back out. It happens every day and you're honestly kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

My advice to Jordi: whatever you do, do it quick and get it done with so this game can progress. Ignoring this issue and dragging it on for 6 months or even 3 or 4 months is a HUGE mistake, and this game cannot afford to not progress.

I agree with what you are saying that he needs to make the choice now and get it started.

Who is to make the call of what is effort in the game? I mean does he have to goto every totem look at every account and say "Yep this one had been putting in enough effort they can keep it".

I see no difference in a solo totem and a member in a tribe that are inactive growing the radius. Dont punish solo players because they are not in a tribe of 50 people (or were not).

I know you think these people are leaving because of these "dead" totems, but they have a right to that land. These players would be upset even if they didnt have dead totems and they were being actively used.

Remove all inactive accounts from ALL tribes not just solo totems, butonly after giving warning is what I'm saying.
    6months being too long? Yep. I said it then I'm saying it now. However, he said this to them. Where was all the people backing me when I said it then? See back then it were players unhappy with the game. Going to go inactive. Now its the other way. I dont believe its fair to them, just as I dont believe its fair to us to have to have suffered through it for months. But I dont think its right for these people to come back to missing totems and land they worked over lost because players NOW want their spots.

They left with the word that they would be warned BEFORE decay. At the very least they need a warning. 6 months sucks and I didnt agree with it then, however, thats what they were told.

Ok. I took the time and searched for that famous 'promise' DDT keeps mentioning. Here it is:
    We will implement totem decay for abandoned homesteads and tribes in the future, but this will take into effect only for players that have been completely inactive for a long period of time (6 to 9 months for example). All players will be informed of this before it is implemented.
    link: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...-by-week/page2

Effect on players that have been completely inactive for a long period of time (6 to 9 months for example) - This is already fulfilled. Most of the inactive players left more than 6 months ago.

All players will be informed of this before it is implemented - They will be informed before totem decay gets implemented. Its not a promise to get another 6 months of potential inactivity AFTER the warning email.

I hope this clears it up. Jordi hasn't promised another 6 months of inactivity time at all. Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Ok. I took the time and searched for that famous 'promise' DDT keeps mentioning. Here it is:

Effect on players that have been completely inactive for a long period of time (6 to 9 months for example) - This is already fulfilled. Most of the inactive players left more than 6 months ago.

All players will be informed of this before it is implemented - They will be informed before totem decay gets implemented. Its not a promise to get another 6 months of potential inactivity AFTER the warning email.

I hope this clears it up. Jordi hasn't promised another 6 months of inactivity time at all. Thankfully.
    I think there more to it, but hey Im all for it. Ive always said 6 months was to long. I just dont want to see people who have been told to wait it out and check back later to have things just missing when they come back.

Quote Originally Posted by banden View Post
    How will you handle decay in a big tribe if its tied to subscription? Whose subscription determines when your totem decays? The cheifs? Everyones combined subscription? Id be careful doing anything with subscription because it can be abused by having many accounts, yea it costs money but some people dont mind that if they can get a competitive edge.
    Since we are talking about a system where the size of the tribe area doesn't depend on the number of members, this is not an issue. The land belongs to them as long as there is 1 active (paid) subscription in the tribe.

If you have to go afk for 1-2-3 months with no hope of ever during that time logging on and restocking your totems, then you shouldnt have a solo homestead. Your own fault for trying to do something you cant handle.
    Now that is a very very bad attitude toward a player who had to leave for some months but he is so dedicated to play the game that he keeps paying his sub fee even for his inactive months. This would make the company to lose a lot of money and would be insane imo.

2# By distance of course! I forgot about that, I got caught up in laying out my idea I forgot about size. First totem you throw down has 25 m radius, just like now, but it has a low upkeep that could maintained by 1-2 players. The upkeep of the next totems will increase dependant on the distance to the main totem, easy enough.
    Yes...so we are back to a high and irritating upkeep, which makes the game a chore and no fun....

Since we are talking about a system where the size of the tribe area doesn't depend on the number of members, this is not an issue. The land belongs to them as long as there is 1 active (paid) subscription in the tribe.

Now that is a very very bad attitude toward a player who had to leave for some months but he is so dedicated to play the game that he keeps paying his sub fee even for his inactive months. This would make the company to lose a lot of money and would be insane imo.

Yes...so we are back to a high and irritating upkeep, which makes the game a chore and no fun....

Still you have some problems with this.

1) Every 400 people you will need a 10x10 zone area for them. 400 people isnt much.
    2) You still have a resource grind, sure its a once time cost but according to you its "irritating" and a "chore" to get mats. So dont see how a 1 time is any diff than a upkeep other than once at a large amount or many times at a small.
    3) You have a first come first server only type of totems. Whoever gets it first will always have it without fear of losing it.

If you think gathering mats is a chore, sounds to me like you dont want a sandbox game. Because if that's the case just doing anything will be a "chore". Want to do bonecrafting? Chore. Want to do tailoring? Chore?

Why not have a 1 time cost for those skills too? You get 1000 cloth, and click once and BAM you have 100 skill. No decay in skills either. Because thats a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post

If you think gathering mats is a chore, sounds to me like you dont want a sandbox game. Because if that's the case just doing anything will be a "chore". Want to do bonecrafting? Chore. Want to do tailoring? Chore?

Why not have a 1 time cost for those skills too? You get 1000 cloth, and click once and BAM you have 100 skill. No decay in skills either. Because thats a chore.

This. (ten characters)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Still you have some problems with this.

1) Every 400 people you will need a 10x10 zone area for them. 400 people isnt much.
    2) You still have a resource grind, sure its a once time cost but according to you its "irritating" and a "chore" to get mats. So dont see how a 1 time is any diff than a upkeep other than once at a large amount or many times at a small.
    3) You have a first come first server only type of totems. Whoever gets it first will always have it without fear of losing it.

1. If he opens up the new zones the whole area will be bigger than that. And you count like everyone had the max amount of land...if it takes 2 years for a solo player to get I doubt that would be the case. Only the most dedicated long-term players would own that.

2. I didn't say gathering mats is a chore. I said upkeep is. When you own a land nothing forces you to expand it. If you don't want to gather mats for that you can just skip it. Upkeep is forced on you anyway. Plus if you do want to expand your land you can gather whenever you feel so...once in a month, daily, weekly, once in a year..as you like. Its not like you 'must' do it now, just like it is with upkeep. When you feel like hunting or fishing or just sitting beside the fireplace you still have to go out for gathering otherwise your totem starts to decay...you get the point. After a tiring day at work you log in just to have a little fun and chat with friends, to do whatever activities you like the most in game but you can't do that....you are forced to gather for upkeep. Personally I don't like when a game forces things on me. I'm here to relax, to have fun and not for another job.

If I WANT to do bonecrafting then its not a chore. If I'm forced to bonecraft when I don't feel like that then it IS a chore.
    A sandbox game for me is about choice. I get to choose what I want to do and when I want to do it. Not the game forcing it on me, thats more of a themepark method.

3. So ? We have that anyway. As long as a player is active you can't get his spot, no matter if the measure of activity is based on upkeep or paid subscription.

1. If he opens up the new zones the whole area will be bigger than that. And you count like everyone had the max amount of land...if it takes 2 years for a solo player to get I doubt that would be the case. Only the most dedicated long-term players would own that.

2. I didn't say gathering mats is a chore. I said upkeep is. When you own a land nothing forces you to expand it. If you don't want to gather mats for that you can just skip it. Upkeep is forced on you anyway. Plus if you do want to expand your land you can gather whenever you feel so...once in a month, daily, weekly, once in a year..as you like. Its not like you 'must' do it now, just like it is with upkeep. When you feel like hunting or fishing or just sitting beside the fireplace you still have to go out for gathering otherwise your totem starts to decay...you get the point. After a tiring day at work you log in just to have a little fun and chat with friends, to do whatever activities you like the most in game but you can't do that....you are forced to gather for upkeep. Personally I don't like when a game forces things on me. I'm here to relax, to have fun and not for another job.

If I WANT to do bonecrafting then its not a chore. If I'm forced to bonecraft when I don't feel like that then it IS a chore.
    A sandbox game for me is about choice. I get to choose what I want to do and when I want to do it. Not the game forcing it on me, thats more of a themepark method.

3. So ? We have that anyway. As long as a player is active you can't get his spot, no matter if the measure of activity is based on upkeep or paid subscription.

1) You would have to open up new zones every 400 people. I dont see that happening, and I dont even know if I would want that.
    2) Upkeep = gathering. They are linked. (assuming you use that system which is what we are talking about) You are ok with something take 2 years to get but you are not ok with some upkeep? Ok to each's own. Sorry if I dont want to spend 2 years gathering resources for a totem just to have one. The Upkeep system doesnt have to about only 1 resource gathering. It can be many types of resources. Bones, rocks, scav'd items. Whatever. Plus you have trade. You are a master tailor? Trade others for totem resources for your tailored goods. No more "chores". Game doesnt "force" you to gather, with upkeep. It only says if you want X you must do Y. Its already doing this. You do this with training skills. You want to train skills, you must gather resources. You want to craft a basket? You must gather resources, train the skill, or trade for it.
    The key to the upkeep is to allow it to have many different options. Which will allow people to also trade for them too. So if you are a bonecrafter you go out and get bones craft your stuff, trade it to others for the resources you use for upkeep.

3)You dont have that now. Right now people dont even need an active account to hold a totem, let alone play the game.

Good job Jadzia!!!

So much wasted time and breath on something that only existed in ddt's brain. Sigh

China

I knew there was more to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Good job Jadzia!!!

So much wasted time and breath on something that only existed in ddt's brain. Sigh

China

"2. How long is it going to take before the tribe is considered dead? We will solicit feedback from players before this is implemented, but my thought right now is about 6 months."

Which FYI is less than 6 months ago.

Dont you hate it when forums shows your right. Glad I read all the posts intead of what someone shows me once in a while.