View Poll Results: What should Xsyon do with basketry?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove it

21 11.23%
  • Redefine it

47 25.13%
  • Leave it alone

119 63.64%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Remove Basketry

Quote Originally Posted by bruisie159 View Post
    Basketry doesnt seem to be too unpopular so why remove it?? Just becuase you persoanlly dont like it. According to this poll http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ice-for-launch it is fairly popular and (at the time of writing this) more popular than weaponcraft and bonecraft. Should we remove those too?
    It's more into it than just "not liking it". It doesn't make sense and many other crafts can take its place, it's just not needed. Has nothing to do with being popular or not. Masonry is the least popular being that it isn't really finished. A person who makes baskets can also make armor out of grass? It's just a filler container craft...

Several things I want to mention.

Jooky explained why this skill is named basketry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Ok, my confession...

I chose the Basketry name because 'Basketry' was the easy, almost joke merit badge at my boy scout camp (near Tahoe too) when I was a kid.
    But the skill really encompasses much more then weaving baskets and basket like objects. In theory, many of the weaves used in baskets could also be used in armour.

Weaving baskets is also a very skillful craft. You can produce very many types of containers, some capable of holding water. If you feel the need to read more on the subject you can read this book: Aboriginal American Basketry. It was a study done by the US government at the turn of the 20th century. For your connivence I linked to the google books version.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=5PF...page&q&f=false

Several things I want to mention.

Jooky explained why this skill is named basketry.
    Ok, my confession...

I chose the Basketry name because 'Basketry' was the easy, almost joke merit badge at my boy scout camp (near Tahoe too) when I was a kid.
    But the skill really encompasses much more then weaving baskets and basket like objects. In theory, many of the weaves used in baskets could also be used in armour.

Weaving baskets is also a very skillful craft. You can produce very many types of containers, some capable of holding water. If you feel the need to read more on the subject you can read this book: Aboriginal American Basketry. It was a study done by the US government at the turn of the 20th century. For your connivence I linked to the google books version.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=5PF...page&q&f=false

Cool Basketry Stays

For those who don't like basketry don't pick it! For those that do it's there.

Just because EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, an Wow and every other mmo use leather bags and stuff doesnt mean it's right for Xyson cause Xyson isnt every other MMO!

It's not a useless skill. Follow the story line please people 2012 apoclypse has happened and do you think everyone that survives is a skilled what ever someone has to start small. It's about rebuilding it all so no we have to learn new skills. Those who where a paperboy or some rich lazy guy can't start out as if he knows any and every thing. So IMO it fits right in I vote it stays. You'll have no clue whats in the future of Xyson. You'll are acting as if you do. Only people know are the ones making the game, an there not going to spoil it for you so set back test the system out report the bugs small suggestins on mechanics an not what should be takken out and put in.

Example of bug: Trees up side down in one section of zone. Water fall with no ground under it. Fires are not putting off light.
    Example of suggestion: Any way to make seting foundations have more than N,S,E,W facings can we get NE,SE,SW,NW facings to?

It's beta guys so test report some suggestions. Don't blow up forums with what you want to change already game hasn't even launched yet.

Keep up good work Development team. Ignore most of them if you have too. I know I sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by lp0okmnji9 View Post
    For those who don't like basketry don't pick it! For those that do it's there.

Just because EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, an Wow and every other mmo use leather bags and stuff doesnt mean it's right for Xyson cause Xyson isnt every other MMO!

It's not a useless skill. Follow the story line please people 2012 apoclypse has happened and do you think everyone that survives is a skilled what ever someone has to start small. It's about rebuilding it all so no we have to learn new skills. Those who where a paperboy or some rich lazy guy can't start out as if he knows any and every thing. So IMO it fits right in I vote it stays. You'll have no clue whats in the future of Xyson. You'll are acting as if you do. Only people know are the ones making the game, an there not going to spoil it for you so set back test the system out report the bugs small suggestins on mechanics an not what should be takken out and put in.

Example of bug: Trees up side down in one section of zone. Water fall with no ground under it. Fires are not putting off light.
    Example of suggestion: Any way to make seting foundations have more than N,S,E,W facings can we get NE,SE,SW,NW facings to?

It's beta guys so test report some suggestions. Don't blow up forums with what you want to change already game hasn't even launched yet.

Keep up good work Development team. Ignore most of them if you have too. I know I sure do.
    Well said!

Just because EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, an Wow and every other mmo use leather bags and stuff doesn't mean it's right for Xyson cause Xyson isn't every other MMO!
    So when did we switch over the topic to EQ, Vanguard, and WoW?

It's not a useful skill nor does it follow the storyline. There is a thing called pottery if you must really have some sort of craft that involves many useful containers. Suggestions may involve "taking in and out" features, as in, I'm suggesting that basketry should be removed for I do not believe that it has any potential. My only hope is that this skill will fade quickly as the game progresses.

The only thing they should ignore is spam -cough-. Accepting every aspect of the game and every suggestion on the forums, isn't gonna make the game any better. There is a theme and there is a lore, that is what creates a game. Basketry doesn't fit in that setting, agree or disagree, just don't be obnoxious since I don't see it your way.

It's been a few months and the poll has 4x the amount of people saying to leave it alone. It's pretty clear what people want.

This thread has been finished for a while now, move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    This thread has been finished for a while now, move along nothing to see here.
    Since when did you become a moderator?

It's not a useful skill nor does it follow the storyline
    Just a quick note. Like it or not, basketry absolutely fits the storyline. It's my fantasy story after all.

In this 'fable' the past history of an area influences what is coming back to life. In the Tahoe area, the Washoe used basketry extensively and the basket designs and patterans are based on Washoe baskets.

Basketry was also a craft used by local pioneers (in particular wicker) and it's something I learned growing up camping in the Tahoe area.

I don't plan to remove skills because some players don't like them. As Xsyon expands I will add more skills that interest some players and others will find unnecessary. That's ok. Not everyone needs to enjoy or use every skill. That's the nature of the game!

Just a quick note. Like it or not, basketry absolutely fits the storyline. It's my fantasy story after all.

In this 'fable' the past history of an area influences what is coming back to life. In the Tahoe area, the Washoe used basketry extensively and the basket designs and patterans are based on Washoe baskets.

Basketry was also a craft used by local pioneers (in particular wicker) and it's something I learned growing up camping in the Tahoe area.

I don't plan to remove skills because some players don't like them. As Xsyon expands I will add more skills that interest some players and others will find unnecessary. That's ok. Not everyone needs to enjoy or use every skill. That's the nature of the game!
    I thought basketry was just something that came off the top of your head, which is why I treated it like a "filler". Nothing more to say since you're from that region and I'm not. I see no harm in questioning it though, some people tend to look a little deeper into the lore more than others. Apparently the other 13 users have been pondering the reason for basketry as well. Guess you just answered our questions.