Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    It's nice to see that we don't have to be camping the forums as the sole defenders of open PvP around here, and that our comrades in arms are also able to deliver skilled arguments. Though unfortunately they seem to be hitting the brick wall of willful ignorance that the sheepish masses have built up around themselves. It's easy to say 'OPEN PVP IS COMPLETE CHAOS' when you've never experienced a world with open PvP. The hisec/lowsec split of EVE represents an acceptable way for both the sheep and the wolves to coexist. It is a 'safer' zone rather than a safe zone. It is a discouraging mechanic rather than a forceful one. You can skill PK in hisec but it comes with much, much greater risk.

It's not even as if we're sitting here advocating for zero penalties for PvP, quite the opposite actually because while randomly gutting people is amusing, it's not the sort of thing that keeps us hooked on a game for long. If I wanted to run around doing nothing but killing people all day I'd play Counterstrike. But RPKing and dickish tactics should be punished by game mechanics and players, not by the devs acting as divine intervention. It is said that he who governs best, governs least and I believe that this philosophy also carries over into a WELL DESIGNED virtual world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    EVE must not be a very popular title, or must not have this player-policing you speak of.

Otherwise, clearly ZENMASTER would know about it, since he's a bona fide expert on the subject rather than some twit who has zero clue what he is talking about.
    Haha, you guys are so predictable. I knew you were shadowbane fanboys. That game is dead btw, so obviously player policing didn't help, plus I highly doubt you guys policed the server 24/7. You are just making up stuff now.

Hmmm EVE online, let me see. Yes, I have heard of that one. I was wondering what that icon on my desktop was for, oh and I can remember installing it as well. That game has NPCs idiots.

Why don't you bring in a few more tribe members for the forum zerg. Shadowbane is dead get over it.

Nobody wanted to play Shadowbane for free, let alone pay for it.

How typical of someone who never played it to assume that Shadowbane died because of its ruleset rather than because of its shitty launch, its shitty bugs, and its shitty balance. The ruleset was the LEAST of shadowbane's problems, in fact it was the only thing that kept SB alive as long as it lasted because by all metrics Shadowbane was an IMMENSE piece of shit.

Yet many people still look back upon it fondly because of the intrigue, the wars, the drama of a more or less unregulated world. PvP is meaningless in and of itself. Without assets, resources, ect. to fight and die over it's all just WoW arena, killing each other for dickwaving rights. And again, if that was what I truly enjoyed I would play Counterstrike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kietharr View Post
    How typical of someone who never played it to assume that Shadowbane died because of its ruleset rather than because of its shitty launch, its shitty bugs, and its shitty balance. The ruleset was the LEAST of shadowbane's problems, in fact it was the only thing that kept SB alive as long as it lasted because by all metrics Shadowbane was an IMMENSE piece of shit.

Yet many people still look back upon it fondly because of the intrigue, the wars, the drama of a more or less unregulated world. PvP is meaningless in and of itself. Without assets, resources, ect. to fight and die over it's all just WoW arena, killing each other for dickwaving rights. And again, if that was what I truly enjoyed I would play Counterstrike.
    Shadowbane lasted over six years. That's pretty solid for an mmo. It's launch was pretty bad which resulted in a lot of the boxes that were sold not resulting in a lasting subscription base, but it still had plenty to make a solid long term run. If you didn't play it you missed out on some amazing experiences and it's ruined me for every game since. What it did well, it did better than anything I've seen before or since.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenmaster13
    Haha, you guys are so predictable. I knew you were shadowbane fanboys. That game is dead btw, so obviously player policing didn't help, plus I highly doubt you guys policed the server 24/7. You are just making up stuff now.
    Lol, yea, because VD didn't prevent every murderous act that could have taken place, there was no policing. That makes tons of sense! And anyway, NEWSFLASH, the game had siege windows and mine windows. It was completely unnecessary for anyone to "police the server 24/7", and the fact that you phrased it that way just shows you're thinking of something completely different. Fact is, VD and countless other players helped bring balance to the game, and that type of self-regulation turns out to be a much better system than "cry to a GM when something naughty happens".

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No one I know wanted to play Shadowbane, because we were powder puffs & mainly into fashion
    fixed that for ya <3

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Lol, yea, because VD didn't prevent every murderous act that could have taken place, there was no policing. That makes tons of sense! And anyway, NEWSFLASH, the game had siege windows and mine windows. It was completely unnecessary for anyone to "police the server 24/7", and the fact that you phrased it that way just shows you're thinking of something completely different. Fact is, VD and countless other players helped bring balance to the game, and that type of self-regulation turns out to be a much better system than "cry to a GM when something naughty happens".
    <3
    What kind of nonsense are you spewing now? Who said anything about calling GMs? I was pointing out that player policing, while good in theory, is not now, nor has it ever been actually used to full effect in any game. You have not disproved this. In fact you lost the argument for yourself when you stated the fact that shadowbane had other mechanics besides player policing for control. You SB fanboys are quite delusional. Let it go, it was just a game. Sure a few things worked in that game. However, the same thing can be said for many other dead games.

I know it hurts, but let it go Sirius, the game is dead, this is not SB, and it is not the place to suggest ideas for Xsyon either. Good luck fluffy

Keep changing your argument Z. Are you really going to claim victory over a game mechanic that let players sleep and go to work? I think you're the one who needs to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicid View Post
    Keep changing your argument Z. Are you really going to claim victory over a game mechanic that let players sleep and go to work? I think you're the one who needs to let it go.
    Do you and the other VD know how to read and comprehend what you are reading? I'm very sure you do not. I did not change any argument. I was disproving your argument about player policing and you guys did nothing to back up your BS about your feats as server police.

Vicid SB is dead. Let it go. I will probably run a couselling session for you and the other emotionally damaged SB leftovers. Apparently you guys cannot let go of your hurt feelings about that game, so much so, that you come in to other game forums to defend it.