Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Two servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    So, they are not sandbox cause you have your imaginary rules about what sandbox is. Mkay.

And, i must say im lost, what exactly will not be as advertised? Sandbox does not mean 1 server only. Dont really see where you got that. If 1 server cant cope with number of players, or if Jordi wants to offer 2 servers with different PvP rules, game is as much sandbox as it was before.
    Sandbox means a developing world with as few rules as possible. Giving timesets to daily PvP is like a game saying "ok, you all have to sit down now and have tea" - see EVE or DAOC or ANY good MMO ever do that?

As to your second point, you are right, it doesn't, but sandbox means open game environment with as few rules as posible. Again, apples and melons, and I would point you to Minecraft if you prefer. If I were a jackass I'd also say "move along"; but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by cejay View Post
    1. Trite answer for someone who is losing the point TBH.
    2. Yes, within boundaries as advertised before initial purchase.

One thing in the last 20 years of online game development - if you go with the masses you get a fail. We all know that. As to games? Actually all of them, except Final Fantasy genre - somehow I could never get my head around that genre.

EDIT: Rique: lol sorry mate it's clearly infectious!
    1. without question its very common for gamers to read the answer to an interview question and read it as 'promised features advertised' and then they procede to cry as if daddy broke a promise to take them to the ball game when it doesnt get delievered exactly as answered in the interview that they saw as a promised advertised feature.....just sayin.
    2. you said rules for pvp = pve. Darkfall has rules for pvp, as well as all other games I am aware of which is why I am curious what games you have played

1. Trite answer for someone who is losing the point TBH.
    2. Yes, within boundaries as advertised before initial purchase.

One thing in the last 20 years of online game development - if you go with the masses you get a fail. We all know that. As to games? Actually all of them, except Final Fantasy genre - somehow I could never get my head around that genre.

EDIT: Rique: lol sorry mate it's clearly infectious!
    Yep, but even in FFXI they are failing by going with masses; more and more like WoW everyday. FF14 was a fail (they are currently fixing it) but because SE didn't learn from their mistakes with FFXI. Instead of taking all the stuff they got right and putting in the game they tried to reinvent the wheel.

But in all seriousness by making two servers you basically will ruin what could make this game great.

This is the only thing I found from NG which can be considered as an advertisement:
    In Xsyon, tribe zones are safe zones. While wilderness areas will be mostly anything goes, encumbrance limits will prevent extensive looting and mechanisms are in place to prevent camping spawn locations. The goal is to have open PvP in general but not cater to griefer types.
    If someone has a link or a quote for another one please post.

Remove some green fog if you think the servers are too full.. dont put in another server.. i think it will ruin the game.. i love that we have crafter types mixed in with pvp types.. even if they dont lol.. i think it make for a more realistic fun gameplay... i would hate to just be stuck with pvps or crafters...

Quote Originally Posted by kombi View Post
    Remove some green fog if you think the servers are too full.. dont put in another server.. i think it will ruin the game.. i love that we have crafter types mixed in with pvp types.. even if they dont lol.. i think it make for a more realistic fun gameplay... i would hate to just be stuck with pvps or crafters...
    I don't think the complaints or wishes of the population is the issue. There are lag issues, and database issues, because there are more of us than anticipated.

Sandbox means a developing world with as few rules as possible. Giving timesets to daily PvP is like a game saying "ok, you all have to sit down now and have tea" - see EVE or DAOC or ANY good MMO ever do that?

As to your second point, you are right, it doesn't, but sandbox means open game environment with as few rules as posible. Again, apples and melons, and I would point you to Minecraft if you prefer. If I were a jackass I'd also say "move along"; but I won't.
    Where did you get timesets on PvP from? As far as I know Jooky hasn't decided on how warfare will look like and he's looking into few systems. I'm sure when he decides something he will let us know.

I wouldn't want to see a system where you can siedge my town when my tribe is offline working or sleeping, if that's what you mean by "timeset"

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    1. without question its very common for gamers to read the answer to an interview question and read it as 'promised features advertised' and then they procede to cry as if daddy broke a promise to take them to the ball game when it doesnt get delievered exactly as answered in the interview that they saw as a promised advertised feature.....just sayin.
    2. you said rules for pvp = pve. Darkfall has rules for pvp, as well as all other games I am aware of which is why I am curious what games you have played
    Welcome your thoughts.

1/ Big difference between a fundamental shift of the game premis and a "not implemented feature".

2/ As said, every MMO (sadly) but FF genre. And yes of course every game has "rules", but advertised "sandbox" games should not split rulesets between servers, or neither are really sandbox. Your welcome to flame that, but sadly it's true. Sandbox is "do anything" (other than rules constricting complete stupidity), so you can not have a sandbox game by definition if it has different rulesets on different servers. This has been true for over 30 years (google MUSH for the first sandbox online game genre).

Welcome your thoughts.

1/ Big difference between a fundamental shift of the game premis and a "not implemented feature".

2/ As said, every MMO (sadly) but FF genre. And yes of course every game has "rules", but advertised "sandbox" games should not split rulesets between servers, or neither are really sandbox. Your welcome to flame that, but sadly it's true. Sandbox is "do anything" (other than rules constricting complete stupidity), so you can not have a sandbox game by definition if it has different rulesets on different servers. This has been true for over 30 years (google MUSH for the first sandbox online game genre).
    1. the thing is to be honest I havent read anything anywhere about pvp in Xyson at all other than from the community itself. Thats pretty piss poor 'advertising' given how much I have read about the game.

2. gamespot considers GTA series to be a sandbox. GTA is also listed as an example of a 'non-lineral game, on wikipedia when you do a wiki search on sandbox. I dont get myself too much involved in sandbox discussions given that the industry itself cant even get within 15,000 miles to what I consider a sandbox so on that I punt

Welcome your thoughts.

Mmmm, by your definition there was never sandbox game and there never will be one (well maybe when AI is fully developed and has ability crate environment instantly for you to "do anything" you desire). Its a missconception you have. And no, by your definition Xsyon is not sandbox at all as it is. Though your definition is not very good to start with sooooo...

""do anything" (other than rules constricting complete stupidity)" that contradicts itself, either you can do anything - or you cant, so even you, with your definition, acknowledge there must be rules.

And i would really like you to define what is stupid and what isnt, cause thats very subjective, you see, its very stupid to me that you can zerg my fort when theres noone around. See, we should have a rule about that.