Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    Make it so you have to download a 0.0b file every Wednesday so the people who dont understand what maintenance windows are stop complaining about the patch Wednesday thing.
    Then they'd bitch about the lack of patch notes.

First I should implement valium I guess and spawn it near to you guys

Azhul has to right to demand weekly updates ...

We have the right to say, we will deliver when we think we are ready ...

No need to start any flames on this ... save it

Quote Originally Posted by Danathur View Post
    No need to start any flames on this ... save it
    But its the only viable PvP at the moment.

I like this guy, I truly hope he delivers. I haven't really seen any content added to this game since I bought it before release, so I haven't logged on. maybe thats because THERE ARE NO PATCH NOTES! seriously can't call yourself professionals until you write some patch notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Banok View Post
    I like this guy, I truly hope he delivers. I haven't really seen any content added to this game since I bought it before release, so I haven't logged on. maybe thats because THERE ARE NO PATCH NOTES! seriously can't call yourself professionals until you write some patch notes.
    well no patch notes in the launcher, that page that goes to the updates should be changed to a updateable page that doesn't have to be done on the webserver itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    You also think manual parry/block are "too complicated".
    yes and no. but good that you read my other posts.

manual block is not too complicated in gameplay terms. but it gives an advantage to a player with a better ping. => that however would make this rpg more like fps.
    and especially this game is hosted on servers which automatically give most (or all?) german (or even eu-continental?) players a ping of 125ms. route tracing locates this problem to a node server in London area before it leaves the continent.
    while i know most americans have between 30-40ms. perhaps you are not aware of that.

but back on your topic (which is actually off-topic in this thread): a siege mechanic which describes as "[...]So no instant destruction is possible, an attacker will have to visit you in a timframe you decide to finally steal your stuff[...]" is a little bit strange. so i said i will wait for a proper announcement of that mechanic before i will judge it any further.
    I however thank you for your continious attention on my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    It is not the 'job' of paying customers to fix or promote that for which they are paying. It is their right to express disatisfaction with a defective product or service.

It is the job of those who are being paid to please their customers, lest they stop paying.
    Doesn't this just epitomize why governments and local communities all over the world are going to hell? "We paid taxes! Why should we possibly have any further need to contribute to community?"

A "Massive Multiplayer" game is a community. The smaller and indier, the more so.

If you want a static game that doesn't grow or change or make you deal with other people, go buy KOTOR for $5.95 on D2D or something. Game design and game communities are as much about "making sausages" as politics is, and all politics being local it means its about our *virtually* local connections with one another as players and with the devs as the people attempting to be all things to all people and still making things work.

We are not here to kill ten rats, or to climb a PvP leaderboard. There are other games for that. The story of Xsyon is going to be twofold: in game, there is a story to discover, and to a much larger extent than many games, a story to influence or create. Here in the forums, there is an opportunity for the people of good will and even tempers to help create the context for that story.

It should be patently obvious to anyone that Xsyon is that kind of metagame, where something new is being attempted. I have no inside line on the story of the game, but as a professional storyteller as a sideline (and a writer and game professional as my main things) I feel something experimental coming here and if I'm right, I can understand how explaining why you have to wait would spoil the story (could be completely wrong tho...I have been before).

If that is not your game, yes, likely, you should stop paying and leave the work/play to those who are playing *this* game.

Happily, although death and taxes may be inevitable in the real world, online you can avoid both by just up and moving on. That means you don't have to linger if you feel you aren't getting your money's worth, rather than bitching and having to move your family and emigrating and...

Really it's very simple. You are right, it is not the job of paying customers to fix or promote what they are paying for -- UNLESS the thing you are paying for is experimental and you want to be part of that experiment, contributing to the adventure, and so on.

Game mechanics are, to a large extent, the things that lubricate adventure and storytelling in MMOs. Less so in pure PvP environments -- which this is not -- where story is secondary to game mechanics.

Jordi has a vision, and Denathur is acting as his lieutenant to have an ear between the vision and the implementation. The games programmers under him may know games development better than he does, but project management -- especially when implementing a vision of a game, which is an essentially artistic process -- takes a bunch of talents that don't have to do necessarily with the number of languages or years in a particular industry. Project managers in entertainment (which games is) for technical projects need the following areas of expertise:

Ability to bridge executive to operative needs (what the CEO wants and what is possible at the implementation/programming/business/CS level)
    Ability to translate a CEO's vision to practical plans and schedules
    Ability to anticipate QA issues before they reach deployment, managing the testers with imagination and simulation of multiple criteria
    Ability to herd cats -- to keep people to a development methodology, to get them to document, to keep communications lines open so deadlines are not missed, modules work together, change A doesn't step on change B, and interpersonal feuds are kept out of the codestore and schedules.

Those things aren't really something that shows up on a resume or in a persons perhaps modest description of their skills. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he'd come in and said, "I am the GOD of programmers, look on me and weep!" Instead he was polite and modest and got smacked.

I would so much rather have someone who can do good project management on this game (which I suspect has been lacking) than someone with some specific narrow programming expertise. Whether that's the case -- whether we'll find the cats herded more efficiently -- only time will tell.

But regardless it will be months of paying-for-beta. I've accepted that and decided it's likely worth it.

Shava/Ani

A very pretty story, but it boils down to fanboy rationalization.

The community is the players. The devs are the employees. They are not our friends. They are people we are doing business with.

Coming up with romantic excuses for sloppy work is why MMOs are in such a sorry state in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Danathur View Post
    It is not true.
    Well not really....

there was that one patch that crashed the server for two days and they were gonna roll back to a previous build.....

Added after 5 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    When it was supposed that this "team" had won a FFA, the guide demanded they kill each other. I stayed in hiding.
    I killed jenny, I don't remember anyone else claiming to have killed anyone else.
    Our main concerns after that event is that we were told to fight by the people running the event that we were the last people left.

The raccoon event crashed the server and had us loading entities for about 40 mins and this event the guides had no idea what was going on.
    Both were examples of poor planning and horrible execution by both the lead guide and others.

Why you took this so personally I have no idea. lol

Quote Originally Posted by oneyedwang View Post
    ---
    I am glad that you are keeping your cool now a little cooler.
    Most people say something (bitchy/constructive/or otherwise) and get flamed and flame back and flame back...this is why we have no trees in Xsyon at the moment. Gawd...damn forest fires. It's freakin california. What should we expect?

BUT ... there is a flame war forum section for any one or more people that need to rip off their shirts.