Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I see your point about have the radius be based off of upkeep instead of # of players. Your saying that this would allow smaller tribes can, if they wish, to work harder by gathering extra resources to grow their radius to something similar in size to the larger "zerg" tribes.

So how does this sound:

(1) The basic "tribe radius" would be based off of player numbers and also being flagged "active/inactive" based on the mechanic I've previously described (3 week log in interval/5 players inactive=step down in tribe radius size)

(2) The "influence radius" could be based off factors not directly tied to number of players in the tribe. These factors could include:
    (a) Gathering resources for upkeep.
    (b) Military force, i.e. # of kills vs. neighboring warring tribes
    (c) Trade achievements/Cultural achievements
    (d) Erection of some type of epic monuments in your tribal area.

Splitting it into two separate mechanics would give a nice stable and pre-defined base size for all tribes based off numbers. The "influence radius" would be a way to reward hard work and smart thinking by expanding the influence radius based of the factors mentioned above + whatever else we think of.

I think this idea has merit, but still has zerg to get big area. Also its a lot harder to put into place than just swap over to resources. With a ghost totem. I would still think the ghost totem would be good so people can preplace before hand and see what it will control and do.

What do we call 'inactive' account ? A player who does pay the subscription fee but don't log in, or someone who canceled the subscription ?

1. A player who pays but doesn't play: since he pays for the game I think he should be counted as active.
    2. Canceled account: he should be removed from the totem or get an inactive flag at the moment he cancels his account.

Now say a totem is upgraded to lvl 5, and at the moment of the upgrade it had 2 active members. As long as it has 2 active members they don't have to pay an upkeep. If one of the members become inactive the upkeep cost appears, accordingly to the totem level.

The owner has 3 options now:
    - he keeps paying the upkeep
    - he upgrades the totem alone, that way he proves that he can pay for it on his own so the upkeep disappears.
    - he doesn't pay the upkeep because its too much for 1 player, so the totem downgrades automatically till the upkeep cost is accepted by the owner.

This way we avoid the annoyance of upkeep for active players, but it still helps to avoid huge lands claimed by inactive accounts.
    And a tribe can keep their territory even if a member leaves, but they have to pay an upkeep. Or they can downgrade it if they don't want to pay.

a totem shoudl always have to pay upkeep. the upkeep is determiner of 'activity'. you shoudl be able to stockpile some resources on th etotem (3-4 weeks worth), but when you miss a upkeep payment it starts eating itself ot pay for the upkeep. once it gets down to nothing (base totem), it disappears.

I definitely agree that we need to remove any annoyance for the actives...i'd just assume spend a couple hours/days gathering resources for a month, than have to do it every single week.

again, i don't like linking anything to numbers...your ability to control area should based on your active and your skill, not how many accounts you have zerged onto your totem.

again, i don't like linking anything to numbers...your ability to control area should based on your active and your skill, not how many accounts you have zerged onto your totem.
    I definitely agree with this. In the system I described the controlled area is not connected to numbers...only in the meaning that more members can collect the price of the upgrade easier. If you zerged a lot of players into your tribe and they play actively the upgrade will be easier since they will work for it.

Example:
    A 10 member tribe upgrades his totem to lvl 20 kinda easily, since they can gather the price. They don't have to pay upkeep as long as they have 20 active member.

A solo player upgrades his totem to lvl 20 with very hard work...but he doesn't have to pay upkeep either since he did it alone.

Both the tribe and the solo player have to pay the same cost for the upgrade, and both of them get the same amount of land in return.

totems should disaper if ...1. owner unsubscribes 2. if no one else is in the tribe (plus #1) 3. totem reverts to highest ranking member if leader/owner unsubs.

Also i hear talk about decay of 6 months.. THIS IS WAY TOO LONG.. A totem needs to pop if a player hasn't logged in in a month. (30 days after last log in it popps) Or as i said above. It needs to pop soon as the owner unsubscribes.

A unsubed player should have absolutely no protection at all of his/her totem/stuff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    totems should disaper if 3. totem reverts to highest ranking member if leader/owner unsubs.
    If the highest ranking person leader/owner unsubs it should disappear? I fully dont agree with that, it should just be passed down like it currently is.

Your other points, I agree with, but this idea is more than just "6months is way to long"
    Problem also isnt about 1 person totems, we are talking about all totems, even the tribe ones. Right now each totem is a problem yes, but so is huge tribes of 50+ members not active and not playing taking up 300m+ of land.

I agree there has to be a determining factor to represent 'activity'.

Bump up.

Talking about this in global today, and I wanted people to see the thread.

debumpm old thread died n should have been left that way.

It's actually better to bump an old thread than to create a new one.