View Poll Results: downtime for the server

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • stagarded maintenance times (they change to keep most people happy)

31 34.07%
  • fixed maintenance times (same time ever day)

60 65.93%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PDT(PST what ever its call in the us now) 6 or 7 AM would be fine and im here in the states. but that would piss of players from France.

i voted for fixed times aslong as they stay as they are for this week all the time

personally the issue i see with alternate times is thats really hard on the devs, i know most players dont care, cause if you have to get up one day at 1 to restart the server then tomorrow its 4 then next day its 7 then back to 1 then 5 then 3 then 12 then 10 your going to loose your mind.

I voted for fixed times how ever we could comprimise also and rotate the fixed times on a weekly basis. one week it could be 2am PSt next week it could be 2PM PST

Quote Originally Posted by dezgard View Post
    Poll for selective down time.

Vote here for what you prefer as maintenance times.

Saturday & Sunday (should the server have maintenance?)
    That shouldn't even be a question that needs to be asked. A game with a large, seamless map and lots of processes needs daily maintenance.

Go with fixed maintenance. Trying to cater a rolling maintenance to the playerbase is dumb, especially when most of the people asking for it (Aussies atm) are likely a small percentage of the subscribers. Also, you'd constantly be trying to adjust a rolling maintenance, since subscriber numbers always change.

3am-4am PST. It is an NA-based game after all.

it doesnt have to rotate into prime time, just not smack in the middle of my play time every day..

A poll? obviously the prime time players dont want it in there play time, and obviously there are more of them....

the fact that the majority of players want to stick Aust with the DT doesnt mean myself and many ausies wont leave if we cop it every day.

It's always going to be in the middle of someone's playtime. I don't really know of a game that caters to Aussie players with regard to downtime. There is no reason to base something on a small % of the playerbase.

I also don't know of a game that does a rolling maintenance. That's just inefficient and waste of manpower that Xsyon doesn't have. The rolling maintenance would always need to be monitored and adjusted because of subscription numbers.

NA-based game. NA-based maintenance. (Seems to be a good amount of EU people, though).

By the way... Love the loaded poll:

"stagarded maintenance times (they change to keep most people happy)"

Haha

Staggered maintenance would upset your largest concentration of population the most.

I am an Aussie player and maintenance happens right in the middle of my prime time, but you know what. It doesnt really matter - we were told it would be one hour last night, but it was only 40 minutes, they are going to try and get those times even lower. Its no big deal, if people are kicking up because they are missing an hour or less of gaming them then they have some serious problems. I voted to keep the time at the same time every day, if you stagger it around then you are going to get tonnes of posts moaning why are the servers down! I dont care when it is done as long as it keeps the game running smoothly.

Thank you for all your reply's, the poll is mostly to catch the general feeling of the players and to give us a better idea of what we should plan for in the future.

So relax sit back post your opinion.

(Click here for a nice cool/ice beer)

Sabina, its about immersion not play time.

last night my partner played for 45 min and myself for 18 min before DT. After DT we did not log back on, we were doing other things.

Obviously, theres no point, and i dont believe anyones sujesting that DT should be in prime (game) time, but can it not be moved 3-4 hours either side of its current location on a periodic schedule? even if it was a monthly change that would be fine by me.. but as it stands it is smack in the middle of my play time every weekday.

Xsyon, is a slow paced game, and time is required to enjoy playing it. I feel that it takes me about 20min to become immersed in the game. this leaves me with 40min (make that 25 min if i log off 15min early as requested) of productive play time (its hard to be productive in xsyon in 40min) before DT, and 1h 40min after, before i have to go to bed to get up and go to my crappy job. so i can get home, just start to unwind and the server goes down... this is why i have a problem with the fixed downtime, not because i loose an hour a day.

Also the poll is fairly badly flawed. The wording sujests that it would be rotated around the entire 24hr period..I dont believe anyone believes that DT should be when there are MAX players on..lol

Also, im assuming that the majority of players are american? thus fairly happy with the current arangement?

i feel that the fact that nearly 40% of people have voted to stagger the times is telling, im sure nowhere near 40% of the population of the game is affected by the current DT.

That means many people who are currently unaffected, are voting to possibly end up having DT in there play hours. these people must understand what a game wrecking experiance it can be to have DT in the middle of your after-work gaming. I would like to thank these people very much for voting the way they did.

As an Aussie I don't expect DT to be in prime US play time, however I think it could be moved around on a rotating basis. Not a different time everyday as this would be confusing to players, but surely there are other low user times that could take a share of the DT on a weekly/fortnightly/monthy basis. Being so far from the server we already deal with higher ping but still want to play and contribute to our tribes. I know we have a small number of players, we are, after all a small country as far as populations go. I have quit several games because DT was always in the middle of prime play time. It isn't becasue I miss out on an hour of play but because my play is interrupted and I find something else to do. I realy enjoy this game and less than 1 hour of play a day is not worth a paid subscription (once we start paying).
    I understand that DT will always be an inconvenience to some players, whether from a particular time zone or because of their work roster, however it would be nice if it wasn't the same people everyday forever. I would feel this way if it was moved out of my prime time and another group of people were getting it all the time. I would still have voted for it to be rotating as I don't want to see anyone leaving or not enjoying the game because of DT.