Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I dont mean to hijack the thread but if what you say is happening MrDDT, then great. And it may work right now with a few dozen (maybe) actively trading tribes with a few hundred(maybe) active members, but dont we want a few HUNDRED active tribes with a few THOUSAND players? Remember that this needs to work a year down the road, not just right now and if you have that many players all using different currencies, new players will be so confused they'll quit. Everyone is looking at it from an experienced players point of view, which is to be expected, but from a NEW players point of view thats confusing as hell lol. Im all for immersion and a player driven economy (played eve for 7 years lol) but that economy NEEDS a standard form of currency.

I like your idea of breaking things down excpet for the transportation issue (like loading up a truck to go buy a gallon of milk lol) and again you'll have dozens of different things used as currency with a different value set on them by different groups.

For example right now in game I need a recipe for shears. Whats the going rate for that? Nails? Rivets? Leather? What if I dont have enough of one? Will you take nails AND rivets? Oh wait....I dont have enough pack space to bring you nails AND rivets and since Im new I dont have a cart....crap, now what do I do......melt it all down...crap thats more WEIGHT than I can carry and still no cart.......And right now the community is awesome and Im sure I could work something out with someone, but that tight knit group wont last forever cause the devs want and need thousands of players here, not just us.

Again sorry to hijack the thread and I apologize if in my newness Im not "getting" it. Im just going from what I see as a new player......and Im at work and cant do anything but prowl the forums lol

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ceej389 View Post
    I dont mean to hijack the thread but if what you say is happening MrDDT, then great. And it may work right now with a few dozen (maybe) actively trading tribes with a few hundred(maybe) active members, but dont we want a few HUNDRED active tribes with a few THOUSAND players? Remember that this needs to work a year down the road, not just right now and if you have that many players all using different currencies, new players will be so confused they'll quit. Everyone is looking at it from an experienced players point of view, which is to be expected, but from a NEW players point of view thats confusing as hell lol. Im all for immersion and a player driven economy (played eve for 7 years lol) but that economy NEEDS a standard form of currency.

I like your idea of breaking things down excpet for the transportation issue (like loading up a truck to go buy a gallon of milk lol) and again you'll have dozens of different things used as currency with a different value set on them by different groups.

For example right now in game I need a recipe for shears. Whats the going rate for that? Nails? Rivets? Leather? What if I dont have enough of one? Will you take nails AND rivets? Oh wait....I dont have enough pack space to bring you nails AND rivets and since Im new I dont have a cart....crap, now what do I do......melt it all down...crap thats more WEIGHT than I can carry and still no cart.......And right now the community is awesome and Im sure I could work something out with someone, but that tight knit group wont last forever cause the devs want and need thousands of players here, not just us.

Again sorry to hijack the thread and I apologize if in my newness Im not "getting" it. Im just going from what I see as a new player......and Im at work and cant do anything but prowl the forums lol

Chris

http://www.industrialstrengthbootcamp.com/page.php?15

This is a link to what our tribe does for trade. Its not hard for other large trading tribes to do this, and guess what? You now have a currency in game in that area. It only takes 1 or 2 tribes to set up a currency in an area for it to work.

More people, means they wont need to trade far away, so local currencies (Like the real world) will start to pop up.

Then people can do longer trades to improve their local currencies exchange rates.

Added after 7 minutes:

I wanted to also add that more tools to promote trade would fix a lot of this. Like merchant options, and able to trade or price items better IN GAME.

New players have problem because the tools are not there for them to see it, you could set the price at any amount but they still need to find where to buy the items. Plus how are you going to value items?

Xsyon Citizen
    The discussion is not taking the direction i expected to take, but still i think its very relevant.
    I actually like the possibility of setting currency for tribe, but then i should be able to create my own currency item, for axample an doucument that says this has the value of so many wonderland credits( wonderland is my tribe )
    what i then like to see is that we make trade union so that i make agreements with for example IS that we accept each others currency at an certain exchange rate.
    Or that we start accpting the same currency for example.
    This would also be the way to create trade posts and even alliances.
    If i would join an traade union i would like te give certain rights to its member on my tribal land.
    That are things i like te see
    Also i would like to be able to set buy and or sell orders on a kind of advertising bulletin.
    for example i want too buy 1000 stone where i pay 1 wonderland credit each i post that on a board and poeple just sell me the stone till the order is filled.
    Then i for example sell saws for 500 wonderland and this without any human interaction.
    But this way beyond where we are atm but still love the idear

Added after 5 mins of thinking
    What will happen is that the trustworthy tribes will esthablish them self and a lot of the small tribes nearby will start use that currency( because it is an stable and trustworthy currency)
    And after a while we end up with a few currency's that will rule Xsyon.

I think the buy and sell orders would be a great idea, except the whole traveling bit of it. but the idea of "creating" your own currency wouldn't work. If you have an easily made, unlimited supply of currency, eventually it will start to lose its value. Its why governments dont let us set up printing presses in our basements to make money and why they dont just print more to pay of national debts.

The only plus about using a crafting mat is it has its own built in sink...the mat itself is taken out of circulation when an item is crafted.

None of this is sustainble until decay come into play.

For a Currency to work you need stuff to go out and in.. they need to go both ways, even if nails can be gotten from scavanging junkpiles.. well then you are atleast working for em and they'll be used in constructions to counter act decay?

I am a bit confused ceej389, what exactly are you asking for? I mean currently the game is set on a very simple barter based economy. Like Industrial Strength uses Nails as their currency, but I personally dont use nails, I use screws, as I can find nails all day long, even gold nails, but have yet to find ONE DAMNED SCREW!!!! I have even considered taking in things like leather, and bones, because I use them but again dont need nails. So if someone wanted to trade with me, and they have nails as their currency, then we wont have much of a problem. I will pay them in nails they will give me leather, bones and screws at a agreed uppon rate.

I can remember in Roma Victor when I used to sell long swords of 99ql for 3-5 high ql goat skins. Even though there was a currency in game. But the Sestarce used in game was actually useless for anything you really needed, and based off of real life money, you bought sestarce with real Euros, which would make the game very expensive. But you would be left with thousands of game currency, but no items you use or need. And with no way to exchange those ses back to EUD, there was no point in getting them. So most of the tribes in the northern part of the game used goat skins as currency. As they were rarer, and everything used some form of leather.

On to another topic seen here... Transporting and protection of goods.

Well look at history in the real world. Trading was not a safe life style. It was frought with danger, you had bandits, robbers, thieves, murderers, highwaymen, raiding armies, pirates, privateers, buccaneers, actual military units, and the enviornment to deal with. There is a story of some Turkoman merchant during the crusades who would trade with Christian crusaders, and turn around and trade with the Saracens. He did this for many years till he was finally cought in the middle of a clash between Crusaders and Saracens, and he was trampled to death by the horses of both armies.

If you want safety in tradeing, you should travel in groups, hire protection, or avoid heavily populated routes. Right now that is difficult due to the lack of mounts or a faster form of travel. But it wont get safer if you have mounts, it will just get faster, for you and the attackers.

The "Silk Road" trading route to the orient, was rarely traveled by loan individuals, it was often traveled by caravans of people who were all headed in generally the same direction. This wasnt a social thing, it was a protection thing. This is why the most powerful animal on land, the Elephant travels in herds from one water hole to the next. Not because they like to hold hands and sing koombiya, but because they are protecting the weaker older, or younger ones who may not otherwise survive the trip. Even the smallest creatures on land do this, ants work as colonies to move, fight, and build.

So if you want to live alone, fine, but if you want to trade, I suggest making friends and working in teams. Trust me, I used to be a guy who thrived on raiding the solo trader in route to market in UO. It is harder for a attacker, to pick off a group than it is for a attacker to kill a single person.

Last part, I promise.

If we ever get wagons or animal drawn carts, I see a huge rise in trade, as it will be more economical to actually trade for things that you want or need, then it would be to attack and kill. This with a stiffer death penalty, you will see some curbing of the random suicide attack. (One vs MANY defenders).

Right now its just a wait and see game, work on your projects, build your toon, make friends, make enemies, now is the time to figure out who you can trust, and who you want to destroy.