PDA

View Full Version : explore what?

Stundorn
05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi,
i get in yesterday the first time and choosed hunting and bonecrafting.
I find out the general functions of skills by right cklicking and how to use the resource bar and gather some cloth, metal, leather... sort it out and collect what is usefull to craft something from my recipes list. I have to throw many materials away, because of lack storeage (i read the thread about it).
As far as i know, there are no animals in yet, what means i cannot hunt, cannot craft (without Bones). I have no shovel, so i just can start building roads or logg trees. But what should i do with all this. I cannot build anything, i dont want to build roads or terraform something.
What is it that i can do beside exploring the Area and cut trees.
Is there something that i can do what makes sense?

edaw22
05-19-2010, 12:18 AM
You wanna know what you can do?

You can find bugs. That's what this stage of development is for, once the game launches you can complain about not having enough to do. But for the moment you create characters with skills you can use. and Test the game for bugs.

Stundorn
05-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Find bugs by doing what - run around with lack of informations about gamemechanics. Seems that i am doomed to create a new char with skills that are implemented and usefull atm :(

Luculus
05-19-2010, 12:56 AM
I sympathise as I had a similar experience yesterday. My main problem though was 4 time outs in a limited period of play.

Tooltips and basic UI/crafting guides are really needed as this seems the biggest hurdle to actually testing anything atm. I mean, how can I test a system if I don't know if it's enabled or how it's meant to work?

naktos
05-19-2010, 02:21 AM
It a empty world right now,They will turns stuff on maybe next week.They telling us that this week is for basic windows bugs.downloading and game mechanic. :X

Derek
05-19-2010, 06:08 AM
They have a substantial update in the works. Sit tight. I believe it has some combat upgrades as well as animations tweaks. They will most likely enable another feature after that patch is rolled out and tested.

edaw22
05-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Actually, new features wont be added until the server is at full stability, and any significantly troublesome bugs are gone, but they are getting close.

And yes, you will need to create a character will skills that are functioning to test anything significant.

Diarmue
05-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Perhaps offering assistance instead of bashing Stundorn is the way to go. His question was valid, and since we are in the same tribe I know English is not his primary language. Don't try to read things which he didn't mean. I believe he just wants to know what skills to pick for testing which is a very valid question. Not all of the skills you can chose are able to be fully tested. Instead of spending in-game time trying to figure this out. He just wants to know ahead of time.

Stundorn if you want to test teraforming you will need to recreate your character with teraforming as one of your primary skills. That is the only way you will receive a shovel in order to test it.

I know you can test basketry now by collecting grass. As for all of the other skills. I'm sorry I don't have the answer. I know you can collect leather, cloth, and metal from junk piles. However, I'm not sure if all the tools are in for tailoring, leatherworking, and tool making. I haven't attempted to test those items yet.

Other things that can be tested at this point. UI settings, graphics options, key bindings, and things of those nature. Try opening all your windows, clicking in bags, moving items around, going into all the menus. Do you crash doing any of these things. If so be sure to report it. I was able to replicate a crash on my system setting graphic options. I didn't crash until I clicked the exit button. I sent in logs from the log folder along with my dxdiag.

Luculus
05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Diarmue wrote:

I know you can test basketry now by collecting grass. As for all of the other skills. I'm sorry I don't have the answer. I know you can collect leather, cloth, and metal from junk piles. However, I'm not sure if all the tools are in for tailoring, leatherworking, and tool making. I haven't attempted to test those items yet. Tailoring gives you the scissor and needle necessary to test it.

JetJon
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
just to point it out, this phase of a games development i more work than play. the game is not here for you to have a fulfilling playing experience.

you are here to find the bugs glitches and other whathaveyou that could ruin the fulfilling playing experience that starts after the game is released to the public.

so, while you are likely to try to test your favorite play type, it is more useful to remake your chair to use the features that are out now. it might not seem like it, but the skills who are out now are the fundamentals all the rest are built on, a bug here can ruin all the rest of the game, thats why we are trying to kill all the bugs now, before the game gets too complex to find the source of the bugs.

be patient, and report EVERY little bug to the devs, that is the only reason you are playing :)

Diarmue
05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Perhaps that was Stundorn's point JetJon. Currently the game lets you choose a couple skills in the creation window that aren't fully implemented (hunting/boneworking.) So which skills should you choose to focus testing? If it is your first time logging in you may not know. Which he explained that it was his first time logging into the game. If he picked skills that are available at creation but not implemented then when he logged into the game his only option was walking around.

I think right now your best bet is to just reroll and test other skills. In fact it is probably a good idea to use all the character slots and test as many skills as you can. If the skills you picked aren't available, don't worry. Just recreate and pick a new set of skills.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for an official thread with a focus topic. i.e. In this build we want you to test Menu Option, graphic settings, and xzy skill.

JetJon
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
i suppose i never did get around to my main point.

my point was dont be afraid to rerole as much as you need. none of the work you do on your chair now will remain for very long. so play around, your job is to break the game now, so players cant do that later. so have fun, experiment, use your imagination and do some crazy stuff.

because none of this is supposed to be game play, only testing features. no one should have any need to flame another, one who is new will not know. so educate him, dont insult him.

Diarmue
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Agree 100%

Sabina
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Also there is a vent channel available, get in there and talk to other players. If we can all make more of an effort to be in there we can help each other. I am sure it can be multi-lingual as well, I hopped in there one time and there was a couple of people in there speaking german.

inferno3387
05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Sabina wrote:

Also there is a vent channel available, get in there and talk to other players. If we can all make more of an effort to be in there we can help each other. I am sure it can be multi-lingual as well, I hopped in there one time and there was a couple of people in there speaking german.

I wish more people would use it. If no one is using it, thats $10 a month I am just throwing in the trash :S

Sabina
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
You are AFK in there!!! sheesh

inferno3387
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Sabina wrote:

You are AFK in there!!! sheesh

Yea I know I am AFK... don't have time to talk in there right now as I have to get up early in the morning for work (plus I am watching the last episode of the Pacific (its not that great :( ))

Zarma
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Make another character, focus on... Grass crafting and rusty metal chewing, you'll be in much better shape!

:p But really, choosing "hunting" when there isn't even an animal AI out yet wasn't the brightest idea. Just make another character if you can and work on that one, I hear they get wiped like 3 times a day anyway.

enki
05-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Quick-start suggestions for new players:

the world & chars will be wiped unexpectedly, so don't worry about leveling. just try to break and experiment with stuff.
if you want to collect lots of stuff, drop your starter bag somewhere clever, and go pick up another bag someone dropped. repeat as necessary.
if you need tools for a crafting profession, create a new char with the profession you need, log in with that char, and drop your starter bag. log in with your main, and grab that shit.
there are multiple types/qualities of things like thread, needles, craft knives, etc. try various combinations!
terraforming is awesome, and if you pick terraforming, pick logging as well. You can do some interesting things!
don't swim without stamina. you'll probably need moderate thirst/hunger bars for longer swims.
speaking of hungry/thirsty, food isn't enabled, so you'll have to reroll the char to get full stats
report bugs!!

JetJon
05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
this last post should be copied and stuck to the top of the first fourm a new join will see!