PDA

View Full Version : Most Pressing Issues

Luculus
05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
These are the most pressing issues I can see at the moment to help with the testing phase.

I'm assuming that the server is stable now as I haven't seen it crash since I came in a couple of days ago.

- Timeouts: major hassle to get both recoverable (non-timeout) 'lag spikes' and the full disconnects. These may or may no be linked to the occasional client crashes when it becomes totally unresponsive. Having these regularly and then waiting for the server to register the disconnect are the biggest hinderance to actually testing the game at the moment.

- Tooltips: Even the most basic information, like which bar stands for which characteristic (stamins, hunger etc) is just guesswork at the moment. There is also no clue that some raw materials should be sorted.

- UI: The mouse pointer on good resolutions is almost invisible especially in winter against a mainly white background. If possible, it shouldn't scale with the rest of the UI, just stay normal size. Also, 'Yes/No' inputs need to follow the mouse if possible as going to the centre of the screen to click on every delete item or whatever is a pain.

- Crafting UI: Re-equipping tools for every craft is just painful. They should automatically equip if in the Backpack.

These are the simple ones that stand out for me. Please discuss/add :)

jessebfox
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
In the initial email you got welcoming you to xsyon with the link to the client, they had a link to a page about basic controls. On this page they explain what many of the bars mean, but yes, I agree there needs to eventually be more tooltips and help on stuff.

Silifaira
05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree with all you said. Those are the things greatly impacting my ability to test the game at the moment. I do like the world, though. :)

Luculus
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
@jessebfox - yea, I saw the controls page (http://www.xsyon.com/controls) but it is very unspecific, giving nothing more than a panel name and very short description. Identifying each individual element would be much better. And having that as tooltips in game would be best of all.

@Silifaira - yea :) It really fires my imagination seeing what can and will be achieved in this sandbox :)

zzro
05-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Would like to see either, the 'enter' key bound to yes, or a simplified crafting process(less dragging). Having to drag and click that mouse so often really does not add any realism. Seems more like an invitation to use programs for automation later down the line.

Cunk
05-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Luculus wrote:

These are the most pressing issues I can see at the moment to help with the testing phase.

I'm assuming that the server is stable now as I haven't seen it crash since I came in a couple of days ago.
I don't know if you can say the server is stable now. I think a lot (if not most) of the client crashes are due to problems on the server end. If you've noticed there are usually people asking "Did you just crash?" when you log back in meaning everyone crashed at the same time.

- UI: The mouse pointer on good resolutions is almost invisible especially in winter against a mainly white background. If possible, it shouldn't scale with the rest of the UI, just stay normal size. Also, 'Yes/No' inputs need to follow the mouse if possible as going to the centre of the screen to click on every delete item or whatever is a pain.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think if they can fix the mouse's performance so that it moves more predictably and smoother it won't be hard to locate your cursor. In fact the reason you have to locate it so often is because it doesn't move to where you expect. With a properly functioning cursor you barely have to thinking about where it is. Your muscle memory takes over.

Still I would like to see that confirmation dialog in the center of the screen moved to wherever your cursor is so it's close to whatever action triggered the dialog.

- Crafting UI: Re-equipping tools for every craft is just painful. They should automatically equip if in the Backpack.
Barring that simply leaving the tools you selected in their slots would be helpful. Also being able to stack materials in the crafting UI would be nice. So you can add enough material to make 10 items and click craft to make 10 items. I assume there will be crafting timers in the final release so ultimately this won't be a way to instantly craft large quantities of items. Even so they might have to limit how many items can be made with a single click of the button so people can't queue up hundreds of items and walk away from their PC for an hour.

And for people that will inevitably say "yech" to timers I say I'd rather deal with timers than have the game rely on a clumsy and inconvenient UI as a way to slow down crafters. At least timers would level the field somewhat. Despite being boring.

EmyLightsaber
05-19-2010, 04:33 PM
If anyone else here has not had the chance to play Roma Victor, I think they missed their chance.

However, with the way I see crafting is going, it looks to act like what RV had for theirs, i.e., you equip the tool you are using to craft/ harvest, then use the item you want to craft with while standing next to the forge/ furnace/ or whatever crafting bench you are using.

You then had to wait for it to be done without having a onscreen timer, it was simply done when the game said it was. Most of the time, with cooking a fish you'd start it, and either manage to come back when it was done, or after it was done and someone else had taken it.

If that's the way it is planned to be, it's far from me to tell any dev what to do. We can only really suggest something for the developers to add in. Anything more and we appear "bossy".

Ciik
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I remember checking it out, short of a couple years ago. It was one of the most overly complicated, annoying little games, not mention buggy. The population was a downer, and this little 'feature', heh, where you had to wait blindly for something to be done without having a onscreen indication, was absurd.

But that's me :)

Sabina
05-19-2010, 05:17 PM
There was a timer bar on there for crafting, the only problem was, if you were crafting more than one item at a time it would only show the last thing that you crafted.

Ciik
05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Ahh that was it. Just give me a point of reference for whatever I do; that's the point.

Sabina
05-19-2010, 05:37 PM
I do have to say though that at least you didnt have to stand and wait for your item to finish. I used to fish a lot, I would fish, get the wood, put them on the stoves and then go back and fish. Doing that you were able to skill up a number of skills at one time.

Ciik
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I do enjoy my fishing. Hope it's implemented soon :)

Sabina
05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Yup me too, I fished in RV, Darkfall and even SWG lol. Never got around to it in MO not sure if it was even implemented when I gave up there.
I used to love in DF that you could get freshwater and saltwater fish out of the same pond lololol

Ciik
05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Ohhh.yea. And my lobster cakes from DF. Yum Yum. :)

Zarma
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I loved how you needed gold to make the lobster meals. Wtf XD.

Best fishing I've ever seen is in Wurm. I think it's because fish are localized, and variant dependent on water depth and open space ect... So you won't find sharks swimming around in Ye Olde Water Hole.

Sabina
05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
And you can see the fish swimming around in Wurm too

Ikisis
05-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Luculus wrote:

Jooky has said the reason for that is you can use anything for tool's when its finished (its just currently turned off).

eikona
05-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Ikisis wrote:

Luculus wrote:

Jooky has said the reason for that is you can use anything for tool's when its finished (its just currently turned off).

Yeah, I'm hoping for at least right clicking on the tool and material to equip it.

Sinjin
05-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Sabina wrote:

Yup me too, I fished in RV, Darkfall and even SWG lol. Never got around to it in MO not sure if it was even implemented when I gave up there.
I used to love in DF that you could get freshwater and saltwater fish out of the same pond lololol

Sabina and her lobster stash =p

Heya girl. Looks like alot of us old RV'ers and DFO players might just end up here. Great to see ya! Hows Augir and the gang?

Sin

Sabina
05-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Heya Sin

Good to see you here cant wait to catch up in game - have sent you a pm :cheer:

Relandi
05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
The women are taking over!

:ohmy:

Sabina
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
About time!!! For soooooo long I have been playing MMOs and I have been pretty much the only female in every clan/guild/tribe I have been in and the only Australian so I play alone a lot :S

Relandi
05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Sabina wrote:

About time!!! For soooooo long I have been playing MMOs and I have been pretty much the only female in every clan/guild/tribe I have been in and the only Australian so I play alone a lot :S

:( :(

Yeah, think I only met 1-2 females in DF, and about the same in UO.

It is actually nice to see more females online, perhaps it'll balance out the average player mindset a bit. ;)

eikona
05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm a girl, too! :D

Has been the same for me as well, usually the only girl in every guild/group I've joined.

Sabina
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
We should have a poll and see how many females there are in this game. I played RV for three years and I only ever encountered 3 other females in the game

Rooo
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
It would be nice to actually get back onto topic again.

Go take your estrogen enriched conversations to your own topic:)

Veldern
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd like to add something to the most pressing issues... as some of you may know, I decided to build a giant pit with one of my alts (Revan). Now, say someone without a shovel falls in...

Marsai
05-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Sabina wrote:

was in a guild in EQ2 - Septorian Brotherhood - we had alot of women in the guild. at least ..... 5 maybe?

BTW will be starting a faction of our guild in this game
- Knights of Septoria -

and as for staying on topic .... I really hate ppl who say "stay on topic!" ALL conversation tends to evolve. Its better if you just roll with it. If you mess around with trying to start a new thread youll lose everyone's train of thought. lol.... bet i just pissed off about a billion forum "experts" :P

Luculus
05-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Gahd! And I thought people had loads more pressing issues when I saw '13 unread' ;)

Games are much better places with a mix of genders - just like RL.

Eaving
05-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Eaving plops down in Marsai's lap and grins.
'You know there's more than 5 females in the guild'