PDA

View Full Version : Xyson tutorials or guides?

Bolognius
05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi all,
I have finally been allowed in the game and I feel completely lost. I don't see any tutorials and all I seem to do is just run around on a game screen that is too dark without anything to do. Is there a game guide or tutorial anywhere that might be helpful? Other people seem to be playing the game so I must be missing something.

Thanks

Crunch
05-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Should try and hop in the xsyon vent.

Diocletian
05-22-2010, 09:34 AM
www.xsyon.com/controls

Relandi
05-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Bolognius wrote:

Hi all,
I have finally been allowed in the game and I feel completely lost. I don't see any tutorials and all I seem to do is just run around on a game screen that is too dark without anything to do. Is there a game guide or tutorial anywhere that might be helpful? Other people seem to be playing the game so I must be missing something.

Thanks

Aside from the two above suggestions (which are good) you can also open the "Key Binding" menu (ESC --> Key Binding) and see what buttons are bound to what (this gives more in-depth detail than the "controls" page), this will help you get used to it a bit easier.

**note: some of the buttons don't seem to work, I'm yet to see Q and E work for turning, as well as V for rest**

Another worthwhile thing is to just explore all your menus, click all the icons, read what little tooltips there are.

There's really not much in the way of guides or tutorials, and I wouldn't expect many until release, due to the changing nature of the game, atm.

Largion
05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Diocletian wrote:

www.xsyon.com/controls

Did you change your name or something? I have no memory of you. strange very strange...

kiwibird
05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Basically at this stage of the game there are none, and if I recall correctly there are no plans for it in Prelude, but may be in year zero. But ultimately players have in-game capabilities of creating tutorials - in their own way. So the game doesn't provide this content, players do... or at least can.

Kitsume
05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
kiwibird wrote:

Basically at this stage of the game there are none, and if I recall correctly there are no plans for it in Prelude, but may be in year zero. But ultimately players have in-game capabilities of creating tutorials - in their own way. So the game doesn't provide this content, players do... or at least can.

I believe Year Zero is when the last reset happens at game launch and Prelude begins. From what I remember it is not a chapter. You might want to check up on this.

Relandi
05-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Kitsume wrote:

I believe Year Zero is when the last reset happens at game launch and Prelude begins. From what I remember it is not a chapter. You might want to check up on this.

You are correct.

He has been saying this in several threads and it is causing confusion.

kiwibird
05-22-2010, 09:40 PM
No.

Prelude is the launch of the game, then Year Zero begins. In my view, BOTH are chapters as both have set and pre-planned titles.

Quotes:
"Prelude is the first chapter of Xsyon and will start at release of game" ~Virtus
"Before [this date] is the early entry for pre-orders" ~Virtus
Access at the moment, is in no way apart of prelude, but access now does require pre-order! ~KiwiBird

{edit=1}
Virtus wrote:

gosmo wrote:

darkrounge wrote:

No because pre-lude is only for pre-orderer's.

This isn't true. Prelude IS the game. Think of it as Vanilla WoW. It is the first version of the game. Later on a new CHAPTER will be released which is basically the same thing as an expansion.

correct

Relandi
05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Here's a quote for YOU.

"Xsyon Prelude is coming soon. Pre-order players are slowly being let in. We plan tentative final Year Zero world and character wipe on August 15th."

Off the pre-order page, written by Jooky himself, and as you can tell it has been updated recently (Aug 15th date) so he still stands by this.

It clearly states Year Zero is a wipe.

How you can consider something like a data wipe to be a chapter is beyond me.

EDIT: We're aware Prelude IS a chapter, the comment in question is you referring to Year Zero as a chapter.

kiwibird
05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I never once said there wasn't a wipe.

Prelude happens on release of game, (now old information which may have changed) a month after Prelude Year Zero begins.

{edit}Prelude is a chapter because it has a name set by developers.
Year Zero is a chapter because it has a name set by developers.

Anything set by players is not a chapter, but instead a subject within the current chapter.

* Prelude:
** Dawn of Exilium
** 191st Expeditionary Battalion Beginnings
** The Dark Hand of Valor Prelude Story
** † Templar † The Lawful Evil Tribe
* Year Zero:
** The request for time
** The understanding of numbers
** Requirements for the Sundial
** Construction of the first Sundial
* Mythic Dawn:

Relandi
05-22-2010, 09:50 PM
kiwibird wrote:

I never once said there wasn't a wipe.

Prelude happens on release of game, (now old information which may have changed) a month after Prelude Year Zero begins.

Where are you getting this 1 month later Year Zero starts? I've only ever seen you say it.

Prelude is the game at release, Year Zero is the wipe (not chapter) 1 WEEK prior to Prelude beginning.

Kitsume
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Kiwibird, please confirm what Year Zero means with Jooky or Virtus before continuing this argument. I read every post on these boards and don't remember seeing that posted by a Dev type person.

Relandi
05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
@Kiwibird's Edit

I'm sorry but what? You're basing this on the fact that because Year Zero has a title, it is therefore a chapter?

This logic does not make much sense, or rather, any sense.

Anyways, you're merely throwing conjecture around as facts. Jooky, nor Virtus have ever stated Year Zero to be a chapter, nor stated because it has a title it is a chapter.

If that's your opinion, okay, but don't pass it off as fact.

Blue Pig
05-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Crunch wrote:

Should try and hop in the xsyon vent.

That sounds like a great idea. And to get on Xsyon Vent we...? I already have Vent; I just need to know the password, server, etc. Thanks.

Virtus
05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
blue pig, look at the sticky that says unoffical vent server ;)

Blue Pig
05-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Virtus wrote:

blue pig, look at the sticky that says unoffical vent server ;)

Yes I found it. Get on you lazy bastages :)

Xsyon
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, 'Year Zero' is just supposed to be the final character and world wipe. That's all.

Relandi
05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Xsyon wrote:

Yes, 'Year Zero' is just supposed to be the final character and world wipe. That's all.

Thank you for setting the record straight.

pid73
05-23-2010, 02:25 AM
kiwibird wrote:

Anything set by players is not a chapter, but instead a subject within the current chapter.

* Prelude:
** Dawn of Exilium
* Year Zero:
** The request for time
* Mythic Dawn:

What did you want to say with this, kiwi?
I'm trying hard to make a sense out of this but I see just some tribe names thrown around with some "interesting/mysterious" topics that are completely out of context...

Please elaborate (1 sentence would suffice, I prefer clear over long text).

Thank you.

Dark515
05-23-2010, 10:52 AM
pid73 wrote:

kiwibird wrote:

* Prelude:
** Dawn of Exilium
* Year Zero:
** The request for time
* Mythic Dawn:

What did you want to say with this, kiwi?
I'm trying hard to make a sense out of this but I see just some tribe names thrown around with some "interesting/mysterious" topics that are completely out of context...

Please elaborate (1 sentence would suffice, I prefer clear over long text).

Thank you.

Pretty much kiwibird was wrong and seemed to say what he thought Year Zero was without any real evidence.

Here is how it really goes (using kiwibird's examples):
* Prelude (Year Zero):
** Exilium Tribe forms.
** 191st Expeditionary Battalion Tribe forms.
** Dark Hand of Valor Tribe forms.
** † Templar † Tribe forms.
** (Other stuff happens)...

Xsyon wrote:

Year Zero == Final Wipe
and in terms of game time, is when Prelude starts.

celestial_fury
05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9774/terraformingtuto.jpg

Hammon
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Those are awesome drawings in that tutorial!

pid73
05-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah I like them too.
They are even fun to look at =D

More like these!

celestial_fury
05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok by popular demand I made this one :P http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1844/logsroof.jpg

Cunk
05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Video demonstrating how to get terrain to the exact height you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LuQvqimxM

The key is that when leveling a tile that is only 0.10m sloped the lower edge will be raised to the height of the higher edge. So by gradually spreading out a steep sloped tile you'll eventually reach a point where you can raise it to whatever height you are targeting.

The video describes it better than I could. Watch it in high def (1080) on YouTube and you can watch the numbers change.

Bolognius
05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I just got added and I have to say that I am not having a user friendly easy experience so far. My screen is always prohibitively dark. It can't always be nighttime and if this is how dark it is when its night then I will only be able to game when its in-game daytime.

In 5 times I've logged on to play I haven't seen another player or even an animal. So far my experience is running around in the dark trying to figure out how to do the most basic thing.The only thing I have been able to do is chop down a tree and nothing else.

I've played a lot of mmo's...and have never had an issue jumping right in. I feel like I am missing something as I can see other people chatting and they are obviously not having a problem. I'm trying to give this a chance. Any suggestions that aren't flames?

Relandi
05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Bolognius wrote:

I've played a lot of mmo's...and have never had an issue jumping right in. I feel like I am missing something as I can see other people chatting and they are obviously not having a problem. I'm trying to give this a chance. Any suggestions that aren't flames?

In all honesty, come back when the game is further in development.

You want a game that is at retail/live/gold whatever you want to call it, this game is closer to alpha/beta testing right now.

You're not missing anything other than the fact this game is not complete, or even close.

Cunk
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Bolognius wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I just got added and I have to say that I am not having a user friendly easy experience so far. My screen is always prohibitively dark. It can't always be nighttime and if this is how dark it is when its night then I will only be able to game when its in-game daytime.

In 5 times I've logged on to play I haven't seen another player or even an animal. So far my experience is running around in the dark trying to figure out how to do the most basic thing.The only thing I have been able to do is chop down a tree and nothing else.

Well you are missing something as compared to other MMO's: most of the game. There's only a handful of things to do right now. Gathering some resources, crafting a few things, chopping trees, terraforming the land. There are no animals and usually only a few players on.

Really just exploring the UI for a while and reading that page that describes the controls is all it takes.

pid73
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
@celestial & cunk:

thank you both, very good stuff. I had fun trying this stuff out and make some experience with TF.

celestial_fury
05-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Hi

I post a new xsyon tutorials or guides thread at Xsyon Citizens area/Prelude talk.

Thank you