PDA

View Full Version : Any instructions?

sagadbois
05-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Glanced a bit at forums and I see no instuctions guides. would like to know what all the bars etc mean and like to know what about each button does so I can play. Sorry i'm a girl and I just don't like to jump in and no care what all the stuff means like to know what i'm doing.

Jadzia
05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Basic controls are here:
http://xsyon.com/controls

Largion
05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
sagadbois wrote:

Glanced a bit at forums and I see no instuctions guides. would like to know what all the bars etc mean and like to know what about each button does so I can play. Sorry i'm a girl and I just don't like to jump in and no care what all the stuff means like to know what i'm doing.

And men do? Sexism is not ok on this forum...

I feel degraded and sad now. :(

Veldern
05-23-2010, 11:00 AM
The link is also in your invite email... Unless you haven't been invited into beta yet, but then you wouldn't need the controls anyways.

cbowsin
05-23-2010, 03:05 PM
The point of the "game" is trying to figure out how to "play the game" lol. At least thats all I see so far.

Largion
05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
cbowsin wrote:

The point of the "game" is trying to figure out how to "play the game" lol. At least thats all I see so far.

Well its not hit all buttons on the keyboard and see what they do kind of thing atleast.
xsyon.com/controls

pid73
05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
cbowsin wrote:

If you also imply tactic/strategic aspects many games are that way...

cbowsin
05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh Geez where do we start? We start making a character but have no indication of what stats do nor any description of what skills will do. So it is basically a 'click and hope you get lucky' method. Then you get loaded into a virtual world. The UI has like 8 bars that tell you nothing. The game offers no direction (most sandboxes are capable of doing this much). Sure there is a post/link on the forums but no in-game direction what-so-ever. Now I see why Notorious does nothing to encourage customer confidence because if they tried this game would create zero customer confidence. Just 5 minutes of in-game chat proved that. This isn't Beta testing, this is Alpha testing that NG is charging people for, where most developers pay in-house testers to complete. With latest news of moving the release to August, is just more signs of vapor-ware. I'm sure the fanboi's will disagree and for NG's sake I hope I am wrong.

Diocletian
05-23-2010, 04:41 PM
When you pre order you pay for the game. As a bonus for pre ordering you get two months of subscription after launch. As well as, a two week head start before the launch of the game. Notorious games is also being nice, and letting you into alpha test.

Cunk
05-23-2010, 05:44 PM
cbowsin wrote:

Oh Geez where do we start? We start making a character but have no indication of what stats do nor any description of what skills will do. So it is basically a 'click and hope you get lucky' method. Then you get loaded into a virtual world. The UI has like 8 bars that tell you nothing. The game offers no direction (most sandboxes are capable of doing this much). Sure there is a post/link on the forums but no in-game direction what-so-ever. Now I see why Notorious does nothing to encourage customer confidence because if they tried this game would create zero customer confidence. Just 5 minutes of in-game chat proved that. This isn't Beta testing, this is Alpha testing that NG is charging people for, where most developers pay in-house testers to complete. With latest news of moving the release to August, is just more signs of vapor-ware. I'm sure the fanboi's will disagree and for NG's sake I hope I am wrong.Just do what everyone else did. Play around with it. Trust me, after a couple of hours you'll have done everything there currently is to do. It's not that complicated.

Also, don't worry about "hoping you get lucky" with your stats. You'll be recreating your character over and over so don't obsess over it. I'm sure by the time this game is released we'll have a better handle on just how stats affect the game.

Blue Pig
05-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Cunk wrote:
Just do what everyone else did. Play around with it. Trust me, after a couple of hours you'll have done everything there currently is to do. It's not that complicated.

Also, don't worry about "hoping you get lucky" with your stats. You'll be recreating your character over and over so don't obsess over it. I'm sure by the time this game is released we'll have a better handle on just how stats affect the game.

I agree with the first part.

I have one problem with the second part. The developers should know what the attributes and stats do. There is no game out, no game absolutely that I know of, that doesn't at least give you an idea of what attributes affect what skills. It is possible that the developers are still undecided if what the attributes currently affect (and to what degree) is acceptable to them. Or they may be as unsure as we are, in which case the attributes will be subject to change.

Hammon
05-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Blue Pig wrote:

Cunk wrote:
Just do what everyone else did. Play around with it. Trust me, after a couple of hours you'll have done everything there currently is to do. It's not that complicated.

I have one problem with the second part. The developers should know what the attributes and stats do. There is no game out, no game absolutely that I know of, that doesn't at least give you an idea of what attributes affect what skills. It is possible that the developers are still undecided if what the attributes currently affect (and to what degree) is acceptable to them. Or they may be as unsure as we are, in which case the attributes will be subject to change.

It all depends if the major stats work, but don't have tooltips (nothing has tooltips), or if it's because the major stats genuinely don't affect anything. I mean we know that strength definitely affects how much you can lift, but that's about it.

Cunk
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Blue Pig wrote:

Cunk wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying. I don't doubt that the developers know how stats affect the game. I'm just saying it's not important right now so they haven't bothered telling us or adding that information to the UI. I think as we get more game turned on we'll learn about stats.

jessebfox
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Blue Pig wrote:

Cunk wrote:

or maybe, just maybe, things like UI, tooltips, and other help files are one of the last things the development team does. That way the balance is finalized and the tooltips are accurate without having to rewrite them a half dozen times. It's not to the final balance stage so yes to what degree the stats and skills affect what will change.

Nah, they have no clue what they are doing. Much more plausible.

Nonnus
07-17-2010, 06:23 PM
How about chat commands? Surely those won't change as we near release time. A very nice dude sent me a tell and I had to shout back replies because I had no idea how to reply. Pretty annoying...

Nails
07-18-2010, 12:52 AM
To whisper type :
\\w name msg
Note this doesnt work if the name has a a space in it atm.

Ignominus
07-27-2010, 12:02 AM
what about global chat? I am assuming that the yellow text is global? I think more detailed info on that controls page would be very helpful, also making it accessible from the home page instead of as a link in an email would be nice as well (it might be but I couldn't find it till I read in here that the link was sent in the email)

Virtus
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
a manual is being put together by volunteers.

/w is whisper
/g is guild

and typing normally allows you to talk to anyone in your zone and the other 8 connecting zones.

Kitsume
07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Ignominus wrote:

what about global chat? I am assuming that the yellow text is global? I think more detailed info on that controls page would be very helpful, also making it accessible from the home page instead of as a link in an email would be nice as well (it might be but I couldn't find it till I read in here that the link was sent in the email)

/h is help chat, which I think is global. This is the yellow text you are seeing in the chat box.