PDA

View Full Version : Log/Terra Cabin (Work In Progress)

Relandi
05-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Well, here's something my clan and I have been working on, it's not perfect, but it's showing us a lot what is possible with terraforming even in the most basic stages.

The roof, floor and stairs are made out of logs, walls and walkway are terra (earth, dirt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfafREKIIU

No music, because it's rather short, but yep, hope you enjoy/gives some ideas.

Comments, criticism, old food, all is welcome!

We intend to continue on and make this a larger complex, but this is just the first stage and wanted video of it incase terrain gets wiped, lol.

EDIT: Just realized, though you can barely see it - I have the awesome baseball bat I scavenged on my back! haha.

w0rm
05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Nice work! :)

Leiros
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Very creative. Keep up the good work.

Hammon
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Hopefully changing tides aren't implemented or your house will be flooded! Interesting work with the layered log flooring.

Cradlejoe
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I haven't tested in a long time but are you able to stand on those logs on the roof?

frogeye
05-25-2010, 10:16 AM
yeah, that's pretty cool. great work and good ideas.
one point though to say - not against - but as an argument for me why I actually not try such stuff: I'm more in waiting until one can build with logs as one could do more realistic, or, I let it be lol. Positioning the logs is actually a big problem, and for walls it's nearly impossible. But walls out of wood and perhaps ladders or stairs out of stone (with room underneath lol) are essential if building, or 'building' is absolutely not what it should be. I've builded many houses in SecondLife (and run an OpenSim-Server too) and I do NOT expect this here to be such comfortable than building there, but a bit more realistic than actually possible I do.
But again: This is no critic, great work, and I tried a bit with building walls too ;)

Ulfsark
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
very nice, you should add a basement

pid73
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Cradlejoe wrote:

I haven't tested in a long time but are you able to stand on those logs on the roof?

Sure, why? was there a time when you could not stand on logs?
Log-terraforming has become an art of its own...

Cunk
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
frogeye wrote:

yeah, that's pretty cool. great work and good ideas.
one point though to say - not against - but as an argument for me why I actually not try such stuff: I'm more in waiting until one can build with logs as one could do more realistic, or, I let it be lol. Positioning the logs is actually a big problem, and for walls it's nearly impossible. But walls out of wood and perhaps ladders or stairs out of stone (with room underneath lol) are essential if building, or 'building' is absolutely not what it should be. I've builded many houses in SecondLife (and run an OpenSim-Server too) and I do NOT expect this here to be such comfortable than building there, but a bit more realistic than actually possible I do.
But again: This is no critic, great work, and I tried a bit with building walls too ;)
This is just bored people having fun with quirks in the current version of the game. I'm sure this will get fixed prior to release.

Relandi
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments -

Yeah we were having a discussion on the test server (I think Cunk and myself?) about whether they will leave items "floating" due to being terraformed out from underneath.

UO had a similiar "feature" where you could stack items, remove the items below, and leave said item floating - it was nice for cosmetic effects in housing, but that didn't have full 3D to get the feeling of how weird it really looked.

While it does look a bit silly, it's making building possible that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

So, maybe at the very least it will help Jooky put together some good ideas for building in-game other than the current quirks.

Again, thanks for the comments.

To respond:

Yeah, you can walk on the logs, I actually have a ramp (half done) leading to the roof which I was going to turn into a "sundeck" of sorts.

Yes, I'd love to add a basement - however the basement is kind of .. water >>

And finally, yeah, good thing there's no currents in, I'm at the top of a waterfall, below 2 other ones - it wouldn't be the smoothest place for a house. haha.

Xx1327
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
nice looks good on the water

yea you should see what Foocha did with just alil help hauling logs, hes the first pioneering new world engineer :P

Relandi
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Xx1327 wrote:

nice looks good on the water

yea you should see what Foocha did with just alil help hauling logs, hes the first pioneering new world engineer :P

Yep, only thing really preventing me from using ALL logs was time constraints.

I was doing this generally solo, with the help from Aisugo for the stairs/bottom floor.

Finding the correct type of tree, then hauling them 1 by 1 solo, was a tedious process.

So I jumped ahead and used terra for the walls.

EDIT: Just realized, though you can barely see it - I have the awesome baseball bat I scavenged on my back! haha.

Nitesky01
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Lol, its a good thing you just used terraforming for the walls. I did a "quick" little project myself, that used all wood. And let me tell you, making walls will test your sanity. I put 24 straight hours into my little log cabin, and it only had 3 walls. All but the last 5 hours were all spent packing logs in, and trying to get all the stacking just right. Once you start trying to make a second "layer" in your log walls, you will start to see some of the oddities with log stacking.

Here is the post of my little "floating log cabin". It is kind of crude and ugly, but my patient ran out, and I just left the gaps in.

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/6-general-discussion/24081-nightskys-floating-log-cabin

The far wall (at the begining of the video) shows what happens when you try to make a second stack of logs, of the same type, over another. It kind of "bumps" it over or up. The only way I got around that, was mis-aligning the second stack of logs a bit up. You can see what I mean by this with the near wall at the begining of the video.

Nitesky01
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Lol, WTH... double posted... somehow.

Hurk
06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice work.

Relandi
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Heh - didn't expect to see this bumped up.

Yeah, the log walls are much more hassle than they are worth. I attempted to make a structure with log walls after building the cabin in the OP .. it didn't go so well.

The terra/log hybrid seems (IMO) to be the best way of making structures with the current limitations of terraforming.

pid73
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I've tried to stack logs on a very steep slope, so to obtain vertically aligned logs as a wall. I tried and tried to stack the logs but failed miserably :D
maybe someone with better log-stacking skills could try it.
Just terraform a very steep slope, put the logs on the side, then terraform the slope away and the logs should stand vertically with the slope's inclination.

Nitesky01
06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Naw... doesn't really work, or look right. When I was trying to lay some logs across a platform the size of one log, by one log, and I started to add logs that went over the edge, I ended up with one log like 5 feet down the slope. And yes, the slope was about as steep as you can make em, so what you experienced was likely just the limits/quarks of stacking over cliffs/edges.