PDA

View Full Version : Scripting

Snake
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey there,
well I guess you have plenty of stuff to get sorted, but one thing I wanted to ask for some time: Will there be a kind of scripting possible to give created things some action that can be triggered?
Concret example: A door which opens on click / on nearby characters.
Doesn't have to be via real 'script' but perhaps via some properties of an object, if you know what I mean. :)
Cheers, Snake.

joexxxz
06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
really good idea.

For example, like at night the tribe can lock its main gates and stuff like that.

Oakstead
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
This suggestion reminds me of what is in Second Life. A lot of creativity in that game. :) Right now the devs have not even hinted that they are even thinking about this.

Yet I too would like to see some sort of simple scripting put in eventually for use on large tribal lands. Lag is always a concern with scripting and custom meshes but then if tribes are given the tools to monitor this it won't be too bad.

Snake
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Oakstead wrote:

This suggestion reminds me of what is in Second Life. A lot of creativity in that game. :) Right now the devs have not even hinted that they are even thinking about this.

Yet I too would like to see some sort of simple scripting put in eventually for use on large tribal lands. Lag is always a concern with scripting and custom meshes but then if tribes are given the tools to monitor this it won't be too bad.

yes Oakstead, I agree.
Another game - well more a development tool for games - where this is implemented very good is Unity, and with much better physics than SL. The developers have not even mentioned it, that's true, there are some questions of citizens already pointing in that direction though, like 'will it be possible to lock houses?' ;)

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I really dont like the idea of locking houses permanently, so only the user can open.. What if we could have a combination lock of buttons. ([][][][][]). Like every bracket represents a button, on or off. So total of 31 combinations.. Unless u have a key on you, so if someone kills u, they can loot the key and then get into your house. Then its interesting...

Snake
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
yes Joe, I agree :)
Hey but sorry, I'm an old assembler-programmer, so I have to tell you:
5 buttons with two possible positions each make a total count of combinations of 2^5, that's 32 ;)

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 07:26 AM
lol so am I. but i was to lazy to count. so i guessed it. I also know a little bit of C++. :) One question? how hard/easy to implement this in to the game from a programmer's point of view???

Well what if the possible event only could have on and off situation with a timer, the reason a timer so the user wouldnt jam the server.
like a terraforming, its takes time for the event to happen. So let say if u closing a gate, it will take 15 sec to activate the gate, while 15 seconds takes place the server sends the info to all players in that region. And the lag is eliminated. Just a thought.

Snake
06-10-2010, 07:36 AM
okay hehe.
well that has to be answered by the devs, I know nothing about the underlaying machine of XSYON.
what is necessary is clear:
- objects have to have attributes that can be changed via click
- five sub-objects of the 'door' can receive it and store the change of the status.
- grouping of objects has to be possible and the door beeing somehow the 'master' of the group
- last but not least: the rotation of an object around an angle has to be possible
edit: but, hey lol, wouldn't this be funny in a post-apocalyptical world without any technology having a 5-bit-keylock-system ^^
one word about lag-producing via scripting:
that is true if stuff like timers for moving objects like birds etc are used with rotations and movements and perhaps rendering of multiple textures on complex polygones is implemented.
a simple door, event-driven, waiting for a click, should not cause lag :)

concerning the timer for different states of objects: that's fine joe. always done this way as far as I know. So if the event of a status-change has come, there will be a certain time necessary for the next change. but, as I said: lag is caused via scripting by programs which have timer-loops implemented, likewise the self-build avatar-animations which cause very bad lag too. If you have 20 persons with self-driven animations looping every 30seconds there may be the situation you are not able to move at all lol. ^^

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Here is a question for u! Let say all players at the same time gonna do terraforming. Would this activity cause lag or not??? :)

Snake
06-10-2010, 08:09 AM
lol, thank you very much for the honour joe, but beeing a somehow professional I know that I can not really say anything about a game I do not know 'from the inside'.
To just 'guess' I would say YES, this will cause lag. Because each change has to be stored and it has to be handled in database-language 'transaction safe', so that they can not be realized parallel but has to be done in 'first come first serve order', and that may mean that who is trying to terraform as the last one has to wait a bit to see what she/he has done ;)

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Lol another question for u. What if the players terraform the land not adjacent to each other. So every player does not cuz a change at other players location. Would it still cause lag??? :)

Snake
06-10-2010, 08:24 AM
lol joe, hey you trying to ask me to my knees hee? ;)
Well, again talking about 'guessing' only that depends on how the transaction mechanism is implemented. Does it 'know' that the changes can be seperated from each other? I guess most things are done easy as long there is no need to do them complicate ("keep it simple, stupid" is one of programmers rules to not loose yourself in featurism :P ). So if they're done easy, that makes no difference, and so the (guessed) answer is: YES lol.
But on the other side: I suppose those Xsyon-team is a hard-core one, and that means: Obviously they do it that way that serves best, and then: NO ;)

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Lol no to your sarcastic remark. So u still thinking it would cause lag... But anyways Aug-15 is coming up soon :)

Snake
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
yeah, I'm very gladly looking forward to that date.
Hopefully the weather will not be to good that time in RL ;)
Cheers, Snake.

PS: Aaaah, no, I'm never sarcastic. Just a bit driven by English humour perhaps, but never ment bad or offending :)

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Was nice talking to u. :)

I ment your humor :)

Snake
06-10-2010, 08:50 AM
:) yes, so here Joe. Cheers.