PDA

View Full Version : Digging tunnels?

MaxSteele
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
With the ability to raise and lower land, is there the ability to dig through hills / mountains, or dig a sloped underground path and create underground tunnels?

And if there is the ability to do this, would that be where we would find any minerals for mining?

Cradlejoe
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
This is something I've been meaning to ask.
When I heard about being able to raise and lower the ground I instantly thought of WURM and if it was possible for Xsyon to have the mining like they do.
Personally it won't bother me at all if it isn't in as it sounds crazy as hell to implement in any game that isn't WURM.

Toxic
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Tunnels would be cool, I would totally make an underground city.

Virtus
03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Currently the land editing doesn't not contain this ability

VowOfSilence
03-03-2010, 12:04 AM
this would indeed make a nice feature in the future.

darkrounge
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
This would most certainly be interesting.

Tribes in mountains. Sounds like something new XD

Lookis
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Haha so random and I never would have thought about this, but cool idea.

Uzik
03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
We guild is hopeful that this game will be like if WURM and DFO had a bastard child.

And by bastard I mean without all the crappy parts each of those games had.

Striefer
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
It would be neat if it was a hidden technology to be able to build an underground base. Maybe have only 3 available to be found. Would make it extremely rare.

BLinDDeniaL
04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
This would be amazing especially when combined with mining for resources. Currently no other mmo has attempted mining in such a fashion. As for underground cities, I believe it's improbable as it leans more towards a fantasy take than a sci-fi/post apoc setting that borders on realism. However what is plausible in my opinion is building a village within or on a mountain side/rock face as there is more than enough support to prevent the collapse of the structure.

Monfols
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Digging caves can be perfect for hiding your loot or if you make it big enough to hide your whole clan !
But I would prefer to see farming first or some kind of that direction. *plants chemical Mushrooms*
*feeds the mushrooms some zombie meat*
Jup,I would like that better.

mkaton
04-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Before i pre-ordered today it was exactly what i was thinking-find a waterfall and make a hidden cave behind it-hope it finds its way into the game.

Oakstead
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, I looked behind a waterfall and did not see anything. Of course that was only one waterfall ;)

Munion
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
So no tunnel digging, oh well, would be cool but it should be fine without. I was wondering if at any point you will be able to make traps that use the terrain. Such as digging a hole and putting some leaves over it so another player falls in. Would probably be real hard to put in, but would be awesome.

Farmerbob
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
BLinDDeniaL wrote:

This would be amazing especially when combined with mining for resources. Currently no other mmo has attempted mining in such a fashion. As for underground cities, I believe it's improbable as it leans more towards a fantasy take than a sci-fi/post apoc setting that borders on realism. However what is plausible in my opinion is building a village within or on a mountain side/rock face as there is more than enough support to prevent the collapse of the structure.

hrm Wurm has mining for resources. You can't build structures underground, but you can put furniture, forges, ovens, storage containers and make caves at water level for boats, etc.

The way Wurm does it, from what I understand, is by basically splitting the world into two layers. One above the intersection of dirt and rock, the other below it. Mines are only pseudo-3d though, you can only have one standable surface on a subterranean rock tile, so if you mine under an existing tunnel weird things happen. It's still fun though. If there's no mining in xsyon, I'll miss it, but hopefully it will get implemented before too long if the game survives and is economically feasable.

Kitsume
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Most games, either Single player or MMO don't do persistent underground spaces directly connected to the surface. They use doors/portals and instances to transfer the player to an indoor area for underground. Though Aion does have persistent underground areas, it would be interesting to know how they handle the coding for underground.

One way it could be handled is using pre-made tunnel sections that can intersect the main ground height map. By limiting the decent/ascent angle, you could have level, 5, 15, 45 and 90 degree sections along with corners and intersections. By making the wall sections dynamic, you could stretch/tile ceiling and floor tiles for larger rooms. Intersections with level ground could be handled with a terrain change feature.

One thing I would like to see is you have to provide your own lighting, none of that glowing moss or other typical game underground light sources.

myeadon
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I would like to be able to dig near a river and have the water flow into my hole. Then I could make a moat and do other things.

Virtus
07-05-2010, 04:25 PM
myeadon wrote:

I would like to be able to dig near a river and have the water flow into my hole. Then I could make a moat and do other things.

done and done :)

myeadon
07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
oh lol i guess i was on a rock lol, u can.

Saeb
07-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Virtus wrote:

myeadon wrote:

done and done :)

Or to play off that idea, have the ability to dig out our own ponds, fill them with either buckets barrels or siphons, and stock them with our of fish.

boom, new skill "Fishery"

Thor
07-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Well in a way you can.I dug from a stream out to open land,Then i made a big pond and closed in the water from the stream.And there you have it! Pond WITH fish.Yes you can drink and fish from these :)

Saeb
07-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Thor wrote:

Well in a way you can.I dug from a stream out to open land,Then i made a big pond and closed in the water from the stream.And there you have it! Pond WITH fish.Yes you can drink and fish from these :)

BRILLIANT

Thor
07-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes,I think it will make a easy way for tribes who are semi close to water to make there own ponds.No skinny dipping! :P