PDA

View Full Version : I dont want dirt in my pack.

Ciik
06-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Im taking a knee-jerk perceptional reaction, granted. But after having read this in the update email:

Terraforming has been revised with additional limitations and now adds dirt to your inventory when you dig and requires dirt to raise terrain.

. . .I don't want dirt to suddenly appear in my pack when by all reasonable expectation, it should actually appear on the side of the terraforming spot that your working. So now I have to click more in the game by removing and micro-managing what shouldn't be miraculously appearing in my inventory anyway?

Am I off-base or missing something?

cbowsin
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
So while lowering a tile you want the tile next to it to be raising? What happens when you lower the newly raised terrain, would it then start raising the terrain you previously lowered? Thus basically acomplishing nothing and putting you back where you started. In the modern world, we use excavatars and dump trucks. In Xsyon we use shovels and packs. Same concept.

Cunk
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Hopefully they can eventually introduce some additional containers that can hold dirt instead of your pack. Like a cart or wheelbarrow or maybe even a special container called a "dirt pile". I think having dirt go into your pack was just the best they could do on short notice.

pid73
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Same for crafting ingredients, 20 slots are really not enough to do anything... some recipes require 5 tools AND 5 ingredients, that's a total of 10 slots for 1 recipe.
To be functional, recipes should be hold in a separate 50-slot bag or something similar...

cbowsin
06-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Well currently we are making alts and dropping cloth packs for additional storage. I am confident that is not the 'design' of the game.

Currently the Packs show like 4 slots with only one in use. A pocket. A key chain. Perhaps these are accessible at higher levels (which level is currently disabled). Not to mention possible tribe storage.

Ciik
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I admit that this better be a short-term solution to implementing beta mechanics as a place-holder.

Correct, that the solution is a dedicated dirt pack.

Just stay out of my measly limited inventory as it is rather than taxing me with something that doesn't belong there.

So thanks in advance for containerizing the dirt in a separate pack tab, and while at it, a separate crafting ingredients bag early-on.

zephar123
06-18-2010, 06:36 PM
personally the solution they did makes perfect since to me. The only issue is really needing other options for containers such as a wheel barrow. Which honestly I think many would love to use wheelbarrow for hualing all they crafting tools and that it would actually work great for about all professions.

Ciik
06-18-2010, 07:20 PM
zephar123 wrote:

personally the solution they did makes perfect since to me. The only issue is really needing other options for containers such as a wheel barrow. Which honestly I think many would love to use wheelbarrow for hualing all they crafting tools and that it would actually work great for about all professions.

Are you f-en kidding me? Havent been around much I guess, but this isnt a joke. If I have to spell it out, inventory management is fubar (google it).

A wheel-barrow? No...this game does not need another useless feature to address a broken feature.

Cunk
06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Ciik wrote:

zephar123 wrote:

Are you f-en kidding me? Havent been around much I guess, but this isnt a joke. If I have to spell it out, inventory management is fubar (google it).

A wheel-barrow? No...this game does not need another useless feature to address a broken feature.
Wow, what a dick.

So how is a wheelbarrow or cart a useless feature? The dirt has to go somewhere. Personally I'd prefer it went into an external container so I don't have to carry it around while terraforming. A dirt pile on the ground would be another option but you're still likely going to want a way to haul it around.

So what is your preferred solution? That you have to carry all the dirt you dig? Now that would be stupid.

kiwibird
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
From my point of view, I rather dirt not be "droppable" as in that it can be a world item. Really when you drop dirt on the ground its a bitch to clean up afterwards, or if dropped on other dirt, simply you can't get it all. So the idea that you have to carry it in a slot of your bag is good.

I can't make it into game at the moment, but my biggest issue would be that dirt should be able to be predictable. That is that we have level Z, and we remove A dirt. At Y level we remove B dirt, X level C dirt....

The problem at the moment is bag space... however that will be solved at prelude I'm sure.

A wheelbarrow and other storage containers that can realistically hold dirt will likely be in game... at what stage is unknown however. So we may first find out that that three-wheeled cart that players suggested as a technology tree step might not actually hold dirt... or rather 1 dirt at a time, but reduces its weight load on the player by.... 1/3. While a wheelbarrow reduces it by 1/2.

pid73
06-19-2010, 02:14 AM
another solution would be to make it highly stackable, like up to 100. It would take up 1 slot. in the end you can drop it (becomes an item like other collectable resources) or keep it to raise terrain.

i would not allow to raise terrain without dirt in any of your bags and not allow digging without space where to put the dirt.

terraforming would become a teamwork where a digger provides dirt for the raisers.

the tribe could also keep a dirt pile somewhere on a digging site, so that it is readily on hand for further workings and stuff...

all in all, dirt is a great thing if it's implemented right!

Diocletian
06-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Even if it was highly stackable, it does not get around the encumbrance and weight of 100 dirt.

pid73
06-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Diocletian wrote:

Even if it was highly stackable, it does not get around the encumbrance and weight of 100 dirt.

exactly. that's good. dirt becomes a management feature you have to deal with while terraforming. otherwise, terraforming is too much like "map design" and less like "gameplay"...
you will have to dig 100 times to fill 1 slot and the weight/encumberance should be so that you can carry about 200-300 of those... now and then you drop them somewhere and that's it.

the problem I see is when a stupid drops 100 dirt one at a time just to bog down the server (someone will surely do such a stupid thing).

maybe the dirt could be "absorbed" by the terrain after say 10 minutes or so... that's just to limit the amount of items laying around the landscape...

Xsyon
06-19-2010, 03:18 AM
This is all being taken into account so that we find the right balance.

The goals are to make things realistic enough and controlled so that players are not destroying mountains, but it should still be fun.