PDA

View Full Version : Dependencies between crafters.

Oracolo
06-20-2010, 11:57 PM
It seems that as tool crafter there is the possibility of building anything without the help of other crafter types.
Is this intended or should I search better to find all the pieces I need to build something?

P.S. Sorry for my english :S

Bossman
06-21-2010, 02:54 AM
I think this is one of the objectives of the game... there is a dependency on crafters working together..

Oracolo
06-21-2010, 03:20 AM
The interdependence between the crafters is excellent for building complex objects. But I find that the game would be much more fun if we could build much without the help of other crafters.

Cunk
06-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Well as you said in your OP that the toolcrafter can build stuff without needing the other crafters. So there you go, a crafter that doesn't need the help of the other crafters.

I have to wonder if the game will eventually allow crafters to build some of the items you can currently find in the debris piles. We know we will be able to get fur, leather, bone, teeth (maybe other stuff) from animals once they are in. Maybe there will be a carpentry craft that can make those hard-to-find wooden handles and poles. And a smith craft that can make nails and screws and rivets. Maybe this sort of stuff will occur sometime after Prelude to simulate us moving from trash-pickers that bolt existing junk together towards true crafters making new items from raw materials. I have noticed that when you collect resources from a debris pile (not scavenging) you can deplete a tile which turns it to dirt. I haven't noticed if those tiles replenish themselves. If not that could imply that debris piles are intended to be used up eventually.

pid73
06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Cunk wrote:

Well as you said in your OP that the toolcrafter can build stuff without needing the other crafters. So there you go, a crafter that doesn't need the help of the other crafters.

I have to wonder if the game will eventually allow crafters to build some of the items you can currently find in the debris piles. We know we will be able to get fur, leather, bone, teeth (maybe other stuff) from animals once they are in. Maybe there will be a carpentry craft that can make those hard-to-find wooden handles and poles. And a smith craft that can make nails and screws and rivets. Maybe this sort of stuff will occur sometime after Prelude to simulate us moving from trash-pickers that bolt existing junk together towards true crafters making new items from raw materials. I have noticed that when you collect resources from a debris pile (not scavenging) you can deplete a tile which turns it to dirt. I haven't noticed if those tiles replenish themselves. If not that could imply that debris piles are intended to be used up eventually.

I have thought about this recently and came up with an implicit terraforming. Like, the pile shrinks down to the ground level until it is depleted. That way you can see how much "is left" and over time how much a pile got used up.

kiwibird
06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I say this not in an official capacity but in my observations in other like games (ATitD to be percise).

To allow the game to be difficult at the start of the game (or in terms of ATitD - at the reset of the game), you are limited in what you can do. From picking one "handful of grass" to collecting one clay (actually this never changes without it being a "collect more than one clay to destroy the clay bed", or so that the clay doesn't produce clay).

It seems like a likely way to do this here in Xsyon, is to require the crafters to require a mix variety of other crafters.

This is good gaming practises, as you don't want experts in the field after a few hours of playing. You need the earily content to last as long as possible, to be difficult at the start of the game, and later on it should level out, and allow the player to create things like the wooden handles - maybe by the firebuilder, and rivets by a yet unknown class.

Again, this is my view, not in any way official.

pid73
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
If some items are uncraftable and can only be scavanged it would be ok. Not every item needs to be aplenty and easy to get the hands on. Some have to be rare.

kiwibird
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
That's quite true, but you do have to remember that items that are found here at the start of the game will always be here. That means when new content is added, you don't have time to keep a stock of X item because its still needed (ie rivets) and still need to find other items.

Unless you give something, be that the ability to find more, or the ability to create the item. It simply becomes Lotto for items, which will become insanely hard. Unless you retire crafting items with new additions to the game - which in my view is very bad!