PDA

View Full Version : Guessing your build ?

REVKhA
06-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I understand that stuff must be discovered in this game.

There is one very important thing that has not yet been adressed afaik. It's stat descriptions.

Sure we know Strengh and Perception a little, but what do these stats do exactly, and what do they affect. Am i supposed to guess that as well ?

Gamefreak
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah I made a post about similar things.

Apparently we are supossed to "figure things out"

kiwibird
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Absolutely!

Will perception allow you to:
Detect how much would a tree would make?
Detect hidden players?
Detect the bear that is yet off screen?
See in the dark?
Notice a difference in the grass?
Find that small little worm in the ground for either fishing or eating?

Being spoon fed in a sandbox game removes the sandbox title. Unless players don't figure it out, it should go left unanswered officially... at least till well past the use by date (or the should be known date).

REVKhA
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
well this is a gamebreaker for me... if i cannot figure out what the stats are before stepping into the game, i might as well give up already.

Descriptions of char stats is spoon fed ?

Who wants 60 days and a unique weapon ?

Cunk
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
REVKhA wrote:

well this is a gamebreaker for me... if i cannot figure out what the stats are before stepping into the game, i might as well give up already.

Descriptions of char stats is spoon fed ?

Who wants 60 days and a unique weapon ?
I bid $10.

At the risk of ruining my chance of buying another account for real cheap you might want to consider that Xsyon himself hasn't weighed in on this (as far as I know). I think Virtus and Kiwibird are expressing their opinions.

edit: My personal opinion is that there needs to be some general guidance on what stats do. Not necessarily hard numbers but just something along the lines of "Strength affects how much damage you do and how much you can carry".

"That's obvious. People should know that intuitively." you may say but we learned from Xsyon recently that Dexterity affects how often you learn a new recipe on your own. That isn't obvious (but makes sense when you think about it).

The problem with leaving every single aspect of the game vague and unexplained is that it's really hard to convey the effects of stats, skills, and items to the player. Sure, weapon damage may be obvious (or it may not depending on how many factors play a part) but many things aren't. But the developers will have to code lots of cause and effect if they expect players to deduce things on their own.

REVKhA
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Seriously i am losing interest. This game is totally biased towards big tribes and meta gaming

Cunk
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
REVKhA wrote:

Seriously i am losing interest. This game is totally biased towards big tribes and meta gaming
Then my bid stands at $10.

joexxxz
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
kiwibird wrote:

Absolutely!

Will perception allow you to:
Detect how much would a tree would make?
Detect hidden players?
Detect the bear that is yet off screen?
See in the dark?
Notice a difference in the grass?
Find that small little worm in the ground for either fishing or eating?

Being spoon fed in a sandbox game removes the sandbox title. Unless players don't figure it out, it should go left unanswered officially... at least till well past the use by date (or the should be known date).

Agreed. Good point. If you want stats, u can play WOW. It will give you baby steps there :laugh:

REVKhA
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
bidders are disqualified... i was gonna give it away as it's next to worthless to me now.

REVKhA
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Remove all stats from char creation then... you want us to pick stats before even taking a step ingame...

cbowsin
06-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Well I believe Jordi stated he was planning to add tool tips and what not to various things and items.

Where I stand (yes we had this discussion before in the forums, and REV I think i also had this discussion with you in-game) is I think less is more. I hate the cookie-cutter, you don't have XYZ so you're not cool, gear dependent type games.

I do think the player stats and various other settings at character creation is important because not everyone has been following the game for months or years. A new player needs to have some idea as to what options do what and some general idea of what the stats contribute so thyey can best create a character they will enjoy playing.

For example basketry should say, used for making grass armor or grass gear, and maybe even baskets (if they do at all, lol). Fishing should say improves starting fishing skill but also includes a starter fishing pole. (perhaps even adding the fishing pole to the character model). That last one I feel is important, it will reduce the amount of "Where do I get a fishing pole?" question asked in general often. :side:

As far as gear goes, if it works, I think there will be two things that could be in-game that would make this a not-so-gear-dependent issue for me.

The first one being that, nothing lasts forever. You don't get to keep your epics forever. Items don't last forever and eventually become useless. They can be repaired but each time they loose a little bit of 'umph'. Essentially like everything in life, out with the old in with the new. So it will be a constant quest of goods to replace not-so-good goods, creating a never ending consumable pit that requires players to ever so often switch out their gear.

The second being that mats will have different qualities, which with different tools, and different other factors, thus making nothing constant. So two players with a warped branch knife could have different knives. One could do 5 more damage than the other, but the other lasts 5 time longer thus at some point making it better in the long run. 5 players could all have Nine Iron Clubs, but with different values that produce different outcomes, who can say one is better than the other and especially when compared to other weapons.

With those two things, even when they add tool-tips could theoretically create a gear-independent system.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Gamefreak
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
It's not so much as I want to know what every single thing does.

I think we should have a slight overview of what major things do though.

For example, strength makes you lift more things and hit harder, or agility makes you quicker and strike faster.

Having more complex things to figure out isn't a problem, I think, however, that if we have a big question mark about what the general function of our character will be, that it requires way too much experimentation and the game turns into a job.

We shouldn't be spoonfed everything but we should know what stats differentiate a warrior/hunter from a farmer/crafter. Otherwise there will be too much confusion at release and people will just give up. Also, if you want us to have a big question mark about the stats, then I agree what Rev said. It makes no sense at all to start the person of picking what stats their characters are going to have if they have no idea what each of them are going to do. Make each character have 0 in each stat and have them slowly build up as gamers do actions that involve them. It's like bodybuilding, you don't start off huge and ripped, you have to lift weights and eat right to get there.

SAbbath
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
i have to agree here if we dont know what stats do then we should all start off with exactly the same stat set or it auto preset your stats depending on your build. From there we raise them in game by use. If they raise by use then it will show us without being told what skills raise what. Basicly like uo did in the begining. there was nothing in uo telling us what stats did back then we learned by using the skills and figuring it out.
just my 2 worthless cents.

REVKhA
06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Gotta love the old grumpy crafters hijacking the thread for it to become an 'anti gear' thread when it's not even about that. Stupid hijack

Virtus
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Jooky said in a post that brought this up before that descriptions for the stats will be added

Xsyon
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Well I believe Jordi stated he was planning to add tool tips and what not to various things and items.

Yes, there will be more tool tips, stat descriptions etc. Every skill and craft is affected by a primary and secondary stat. Every action is affected by at least one stat as well.

Tooltips and descriptions in the character creation seciton will be added as soon as possible. The functionality of all this is already in.

Right now we're just juggling many other changes (the terrain system, server updates, new website coming soon, the server location change over the past two weeks, creatures, etc.).