PDA

View Full Version : Terraforming - trap hole

myeadon
07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I was playing around with terraforming yesterday and I dug a realy deep hole 3 tiles long then i went to the edge and raised it until I was out. So I was wondering if someone without a shovel jumped in there wouldnt they be stuck for ever? Unless someone else dug them out.

Risk
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
everyone can get out of terra holes you just have to angle yourself right...

Vidar
07-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Risk wrote:

everyone can get out of terra holes you just have to angle yourself right...

I hope this "exploit" will be dealth with :-)

Diocletian
07-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Well, it just that when you angle yourself, the slope you are climbing is not as steep, however you have to travel a further distance to reach the same height.

myeadon
07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
what if its strait up and down, Ive made a terra wall I couldnt climb.

Cunk
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
myeadon wrote:

what if its strait up and down, Ive made a terra wall I couldnt climb.Not sure what you mean by "straight up and down" but i'm not aware of any slope that can't be climbed by angling yourself across it.

Personally I'd prefer it didn't work this way. I'd like to see you slide down steep slopes (maybe with a threshold that is determined by a climbing skill). And the only way to avoid that is to climb.

As it is now the map is too accessible. You can essentially march in a straight line to anywhere you want, only making small adjustments to angle your climb across steep slopes. But that is a minor inconvenience. If the map was harder to navigate it would make tribe placement a little more interesting. You could choose areas that have to be approached by narrow passes or might be hard to find altogether.

myeadon
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Ya cunk, I agree with you on that.

Xsyon
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
The plan is to make steep slopes impassible, but if your player is stuck in a put or similar situation you will get the option to teleport back to your home base.

Cunk
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Xsyon wrote:

The plan is to make steep slopes impassible, but if your player is stuck in a put or similar situation you will get the option to teleport back to your home base.
Hmm, that sounds exploitable. It could be used intentionally to escape a dangerous situation or to transport goods safely and easily.

But I realize we can't have players getting trapped in holes with no way to get out. Maybe instead of the teleport option have some sort of climbing mode that gives the player a means to get out on his own but with a severe movement penalty and the chance of slipping again. Or add a mechanism that allows players to pull each other (requiring both players to cooperate to prevent griefing). And if there is going to be rope in the game maybe by having that on you it could increase your reach.

I'm happy to hear you're planning to make steep slopes impassable though. That should make things a lot more interesting.

myeadon
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
it will plrobly take a certain amount of time to teleport so you couldnt use it in a dangerous situation.

Cunk
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
myeadon wrote:

it will plrobly take a certain amount of time to teleport so you couldnt use it in a dangerous situation.
Well depending on how long the delay is it could still be used for risk-free travel which is just as important to consider.

Also, how would the game even know you are stuck in a hole? I imagine there is some algorithm that could examine the surrounding tiles to see whether there is a climbable path but is that going to be robust enough to deal with the variety of situations that could occur? Sure it seems simple because everyone imagines a small hole but what if it was a pit 5 tiles square? 10 tiles? 50 tiles? Or what if it's a trench that follows a rectangular path and reconnects to itself? Or a trench with ends that can easily be walked in and out (therefore passing the "is this a hole" test) but has a pair of immovable objects in it and someone falls in between them?

Maybe the devs already have clever solutions to all of these scenarios but I can't imagine how a system like this could be reliable. An in-game mechanism to allow the player to climb (with heavy movement penalties) or be assisted by other players seems to be the best (and most realistic) solution.

GDWhite
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Cunk wrote:

Well depending on how long the delay is it could still be used for risk-free travel which is just as important to consider.
I agree. Even with a long cooldown or channel time, people could exploit it by gathering a full load, teleporting home, and run on back.
Cunk wrote:

An in-game mechanism to allow the player to climb (with heavy movement penalties) or be assisted by other players seems to be the best (and most realistic) solution.
I want to be able to freelance if I want, but I like how many benefits there are to helping others, especially tribesmen.
I like this idea. Rope increasing climb abilities is awesome.

Basketry: 10 Grass Twine = 1 Grass Rope. Bam.

Deacon
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
One way would be /suicide <charactername> where toon would be transported to totem of his tribe, or if untribed...spawn point for character creation. When they do this...they die, and drop their bag-o-goodies and maybe remove all toon is carrying and place in backpack as well...no free transport, you're just escaping a dire situation...but taking same penalty as being killed by something or someone.

This might make it less desireable to try the death express to carry stuff home, or evade death by conflict.

EDIT: but also include a way for friend or stranger, to help them, and prevent the un-needed death if someone can/will help them.

myeadon
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I like the suicide idea more then the teleportation myself.

joexxxz
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Xsyon wrote:

Thank You very much.

myeadon wrote:

I like the suicide idea more then the teleportation myself.

Ya, its much more realistic, or someone with long rope can help the him/her slowly climb up toward the character with a rope.

kiwibird
07-08-2010, 03:53 AM
I forget what game it's from but I think Morrowind had a cheat that would 'jump' you out of a bugged area. That is that it don't teleport you, but instead moves you forward a few squares.

To me, that would be less exploitable, and would have little benefits of doing when it's not really required.

REVKhA
07-08-2010, 04:29 AM
a simple /rope would be better and promote teamwork. Could go as far as needing the damn rope , and i think i would prefer that than a base teleport.

Jadzia
07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
REVKhA wrote:

a simple /rope would be better and promote teamwork. Could go as far as needing the damn rope , and i think i would prefer that than a base teleport.
Needing a friend to help you out is good as an option, but not good as the only way of escaping. Xsyon population won't be high at the start, and it wouldn't be fun to sit in a trap for hours waiting for someone to come online.