PDA

View Full Version : LETS WIPE TERRA....

tredo
07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok... db wipe, toon wipe, not really a big deal....

J, We need a terra wipe... getting a bit choppy and laggy again.

Bossman
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Also there are holes appearing all over the place.. probably to do with the bags

Paradox
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, time for a wipe please :)

Xsyon
07-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I can wipe with the next update.

The other programmers had personal things to attend to this weekend, so I'm waiting to incorporate code changes, hopefully tonight.

tredo
07-11-2010, 07:06 PM
So perhaps tonight an update and a terra wipe ? Is that the way I read this ?

Thor
07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Don't rush the chef,You will ruin the soup :)

Virtus
07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
tredo wrote:

So perhaps tonight an update and a terra wipe ? Is that the way I read this ?

no, he means hopefully tonight...but maybe not

Deacon
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
We already had a rollack on teraforming today...if you havent "fixed" the problem causing lag and hole...a wipe isnt gonna do much benefit..especially to those who have done alot of terra forming.

Virtus
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
roll back?

The only thing that could of happened is when the server went down, in which case, at most, 10 minutes worth of actions would of been undone. Other then that the DB and world was never reset or edited.

Deacon
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Virtus wrote:

roll back?

The only thing that could of happened is when the server went down, in which case, at most, 10 minutes worth of actions would of been undone. Other then that the DB and world was never reset or edited.

we lost an entire level to our platform...an entire days worth of work..something happened.

Cunk
07-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Why are you guys even busting your butts with all this terraforming? You knew it was going to get wiped even before it was suggested in this tread.

Augir
07-11-2010, 08:10 PM
umm.. yeah it was about all we did from today morning - about 2000 dirt roll back.. Its not complaining :) we will be happy if our work help with finding problem.

Deacon
07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Cunk wrote:

Why are you guys even busting your butts with all this terraforming? You knew it was going to get wiped even before it was suggested in this tread.

what better way do you know of to test terraforming?....I'd rather catch unforseen problems here, then have it happen in launch.

Thor
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Deacon wrote:

what better way do you know of to test terraforming?....I'd rather catch unforseen problems here, then have it happen in launch.

I would have to agree,Let's get the bugs out now.Even though we paid to be in this part of the game,We still are in effect making this game better for us all by testing things out.

zephar123
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Deacon wrote:

Cunk wrote:

I agree with you deacon.

Xsyon
07-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone!

I thought the other programmers were taking care of some personal business this weekend (wife and children and so on). I guess not. I just got a mess of updated code to merge and check.

This means I'll be up all night checking the changes and finishing changes of my own. If things look good in about 12 hours I'll update them to the main server.

So the question is... who wants a terrain and data wipe?

Here are problems that will be fixed:

There is some bad data caused by some of the developers accidentally spawning invalid objects. I'm not sure what problems this is causing.

There are some problems caused by players messing around with the unfinished container system. The data needs to be wiped at some point soon to fix these.

Frame rate will be better. The more going on in game, the slower the frame rate. We're working on changes that will fix this problem, but they will be patched out over the course of the next week or two. That's part of what I'll be checking tonight.

Terrain holes... I don't know. I don't think we'll get to look at this tonight, but I also don't think wiping the terrain will have an effect.

For development purposes I can wipe with this update or I can wipe after we've implemented more changes. It's not going to have much of an impact either way.

So what do you all think?

Bossman
07-12-2010, 01:50 AM
For me I think a complete wipe makes sense as we are seeing a few annomilies. These appear to be where bags/packs have been dropped at some point and where then burried when the last accidental terrain wipe occurred.

Added to that, but maybe not related, there appears to be a server>client sync issue where players are not seeing the same terrain and, in some cases, not seeing the same objects even though we are standing in the same locations. Logging out and back in fixes this but clearly something is wrong... it's like we are sometimes playing a different game.

So, I vote for a clean slate please.

Deacon
07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Bossman wrote:

For me I think a complete wipe makes sense as we are seeing a few annomilies. These appear to be where bags/packs have been dropped at some point and where then burried when the last accidental terrain wipe occurred.

Added to that, but maybe not related, there appears to be a server>client sync issue where players are not seeing the same terrain and, in some cases, not seeing the same objects even though we are standing in the same locations. Logging out and back in fixes this but clearly something is wrong... it's like we are sometimes playing a different game.

So, I vote for a clean slate please.

But the question remains....will the wipe actually fix this, or will it all continue? Will a wipe just postpone the issues to tomorrow when stuff starts happening again, as it is now?

If a clean wipe will fix it..then wipe everything..including toons. If there are issues that are being borked by players...turn those off (like containers) until they're ready for testing and not likely to interfere with the server.

We all know a wipe will come...but to constantly do it in hopes it might fix lag or something without definitive connections, seems counter productive. How are top end and features to truly be tested, if no one can get there.

EDIT: just like Virtus thought we only lost 10 mins of terrain data, when actually it reset to when the devs saved terrain just prior to restarting server early sun morn. So something happened to autosave on terrain...which would not be known or suspect, if no one did any further building, and just left it as it was.

Xsyon
07-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Hello Deacon,

The wipe will fix only a few issues for sure: bad data caused by improper spawns and messing around with the unfinished containers.

The terrain autosave was turned off for now which is why the terrain reverted to my previous backup. Virtus just wasn't aware of this.

One thing I plan to add tonight is a few new spawn locations. Do you have any preferred spots? I know many of you were building in zone 231 or somewhere around there. Starting spawn points will eventually be based near existing tribe totems in addition to a few set locations.

If any of you can post some desired spawn locations, I'll put them in for the next update.

Thanks!

Bossman
07-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Anywhere but 231 :woohoo:

Paradox
07-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Anywhere in the NE NW would be nice. Around 981 or 975 would be great.. Just not in 231 please ;)

joexxxz
07-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Xsyon wrote:

... Do you have any preferred spots? I know many of you were building in zone 231 or somewhere around there.

Thanks for revealing our secret location :S

Paradox
07-12-2010, 04:20 AM
joexxxz wrote:

Xsyon wrote:

... Do you have any preferred spots? I know many of you were building in zone 979 or somewhere around there.

Thanks for revealing our secret location :S

Yeah, nothing to see in 231.. move along please
:lol:

Xsyon
07-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Ok, anywhere but 231 I got it. ;) :laugh:

tredo
07-12-2010, 04:59 AM
you already know my thoughts... as far as spawn points... some place north would be nice.

Bossman
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
What happened?

Look like a partial wipe .... logs floating in mida-air and terraforming back to where it was yesterday morning?

http://www.xsyon-shinra.co.uk/images/partwipe.gif

Xsyon
07-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Yes, something crashed the server and I haven't restored the terrain since it will all be wiped as soon as possible today.

It's going to be a long day, but things are coming together. :)

Deacon
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Xsyon wrote:

Hello Deacon,

The wipe will fix only a few issues for sure: bad data caused by improper spawns and messing around with the unfinished containers.

The terrain autosave was turned off for now which is why the terrain reverted to my previous backup. Virtus just wasn't aware of this.

One thing I plan to add tonight is a few new spawn locations. Do you have any preferred spots? I know many of you were building in zone 231 or somewhere around there. Starting spawn points will eventually be based near existing tribe totems in addition to a few set locations.

If any of you can post some desired spawn locations, I'll put them in for the next update.

Thanks!

If not too late, we're working on zone 862. Some spawns in that zone would be nice.

We've also had issues with scavaged and produced items dissappearing from dropped starter backpacks on ground.

EDIT: also, is there a problem with turning on terrain save?

Thanks

Cunk
07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
231....liars.

joexxxz
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Cunk wrote:

231....liars.

Please come and see our base at 231. Its great place... Hope the invisible creature eats u there :laugh:

Risk
07-23-2010, 01:45 AM
hehe, its beastiful when you see it...yes not a typo...its jaw dropping.