PDA

View Full Version : Container permissions

Cunk
07-27-2010, 12:07 AM
There appear to be a couple of problems with container permissions as currently implemented:

- You can't assign permissions to other people. Right now the only person who can use a container is the person who made it. Unless ownership changes when you trade a basket to someone (I couldn't test this as I was the only one on) then the only people who can have containers right now are people who pick basketry.

- How can we make communal storage? Will there be other container types for this or something? As of now the cooperative "bag depots" that always spring up will not work.

Honestly I'm not a fan of permission systems for things like containers. Ideally it should be based on locks and keys. And even then only for sturdy containers like chests and cabinets. Grass baskets should not be secure. Permissions should be reserved for things like village and building management.

Ravenstorm
07-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Hello folks. Yep containers need permission now. Question, the characters that was deleted are the only one who can open the container even thou they are no lnoger in the game/system?
Anotherwords, when i was working on basketry for info, i made a few basketry characters and deleted them. Is it possible to just make it account permission? This way all your characters can have access.
Otherwise there be a few bins needing to be deleted since theres no characters around for it. Guess i have to wait til the permission thing is implemented.

Paradox
07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Just tried, trading baskets changes ownership of them.

joexxxz
07-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Cunk wrote:

.... Honestly I'm not a fan of permission systems for things like containers. Ideally it should be based on locks and keys. And even then only for sturdy containers like chests and cabinets. Grass baskets should not be secure. Permissions should be reserved for things like village and building management.

Agreed 100 %.
"Sandbox game"??? lets keep to this motto ;)

Paradox
07-27-2010, 07:13 AM
The container permission system isn’t working well right now, I would hope, because we don’t have tribes and groups. If containers remained grab bags thievery would be rampant.

Maybe make it so someone has to kill you before they can have access to your container. This would make stealing you stuff a bit more realistic than seeing someone grab and log off.. or because we can’t loot bodies yet, grab and walk away.

Gamefreak
07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Right ...

There is, however, no way to prevent thievery right now, so permissions are a good thing until tribal lands and locks are put it. That is, unless we can kill and loot the assholes stealing from us.

joexxxz
07-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Containers that are easy to build should not be 100 % secure.

Paradox
07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
joexxxz wrote:

Containers that are easy to build should not be 100 % secure.

Yeah, I kind of agree. Really no container is 100% secure.

I think for now it’s a good idea. What would help balance it would be thievery skills or like I posted above, tie container permission in to combat so the winner can loot bags. Before this patch it was silly easy to take stuff that didn’t belong to you.

The same argument about 100% secure storage could be made about housing and tribe banks. At some point there needs to be game mechanics that adds stability to crafting and the economy at large. Is that point at grass containers being 100% secure, probably not but that’s all we have now.

Virtus
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
i think things will change once thievery etc are in that is not to say that permissions will be 100% over hauled though.

Ignominus
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
While it is nice to not have to worry about people stealing stuff, this is really killing my ability to test crafting. I had built up a large stockpile of resources with my hunter/scavenger which I can no longer access with my bonecrafter. This won't be an issue when we have tribal permissions and more people online to assist with transfers, but right now it kind of stops half my testing in its tracks. if nobody else is on I can't even get containers on characters who can't make some themselves.

Xsyon
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
You will be able to share permissions with friends and then tribe mates as soon as possible.

The current permissions are what will be default within a tribal zone. Outside a tribal zone, other players will be able to access your containers, but they will be marked as stealing if they don't have permission.

If someone needs to access containers for a player they deleted, you can email me (support@notorious-games.com), but I plan to wipe characters this week anyways.

Ignominus
07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
cool thanks for the heads up, a good excuse for me to shift over to learning terraforming basics

Deacon
07-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Everything droppable by characters have permission required...campfires as well as resources gathered from junk piles.

Paradox
07-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Deacon wrote:

Everything droppable by characters have permission required...campfires as well as resources gathered from junk piles.

Have you figured out how to use campfires?

They were not working before the patch so not sure how permissions have affected them.

Diocletian
07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Use them in what way? When you try to light them after you built one?

Paradox
07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Not getting the option to light or add fuel, even to the ones I create. Only option I get is to destroy on any campfire.

paelen
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I second this: Any of my characters cannot light a fire. No option to light or add fuel.

Deacon
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Paradox wrote:

Deacon wrote:

Have you figured out how to use campfires?

They were not working before the patch so not sure how permissions have affected them.

Before...you could destroy someone else's campfire, like if was in the way...you cannot do that now. And no, the lighting/extinguishing features are not working for others and myself. So now, if someone drops their scrap metal/leather/cloth/plastic or builds a campfire in your site....you cannot remove it.

EDIT: add logs to that list as well.

Thor
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Let me remind everyone,If you have a bug in game to not only add it to the bugs section of the forums, but please send an email to
bugs@notorious-games.com

gragon9800
07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
I believe that we should keep it real. If a person could destroy the basket or take the basket then this should be legal. All contents may or may not be destroyed depending if the have traps or not. I would hate to see the GOD complex imposed in this game (having the ability to keep the thieves and destroyers out of your supplies or business).

Please keep the game real - allow people to what people could normally do in real life. Thanks.

Jadzia
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
gragon9800 wrote:

I believe that we should keep it real. If a person could destroy the basket or take the basket then this should be legal. All contents may or may not be destroyed depending if the have traps or not. I would hate to see the GOD complex imposed in this game (having the ability to keep the thieves and destroyers out of your supplies or business).

Please keep the game real - allow people to what people could normally do in real life. Thanks.
Games are for fun. I don't think its fun to be robbed in real life. Why would we implement it into a game ? And in real there are Police who catch and punish the thief, lock him up for years...do you want it to be implemented too ?

Risk
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Jadzia is kind of right,

Till there's a death punishment system, 1 character slot, and perhaps a bounty system in place, all you'll have is griefers.
No risk *heh*, then there should be no reward.
Once the game is more solid, then yes..I too think there should be a way to get into others baskets.

Diocletian
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, a large chunk of the mechanics are still to be added, so for the time being, you can't test if the mechanics to keep things secure is working, if you have ways of breaking into it, which may be intentional or not.

Jadzia
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
This is from the feature page: Player owned protected storage.
I'm not sure what does this mean....if there will be at least one protected storage option, or every storage a player has is protected. But this feature seems to mean that stealing from others' containers won't be implemented during Prelude (if ever).

Paradox
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Jadzia wrote:

This is from the feature page: Player owned protected storage.
I'm not sure what does this mean....if there will be at least one protected storage option, or every storage a player has is protected. But this feature seems to mean that stealing from others' containers won't be implemented during Prelude (if ever).

Storage is protected in the tribe area. You can still raid people out gathering.

Virtus
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
just a note/ The current permission setup was thrown in so as to protect those that were constantly being raided due to the lack of protection/punishment. There is still quiet a bit more that has to be done to it and what is there now is a temp setup.

joexxxz
07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you Virtus for the information.

A friendly reminder of a sandbox definition :)

An open world is a type of video game level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming; however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers, in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively, boundless of artificial structural constraints, and with there being "no right way" of playing the game.

gragon9800
07-29-2010, 07:26 PM
I reconsider- I likr Risk idea and perhaps in the future a punishment and locks system would be implemented. My idea was for the future of this game. I am very happy with the progress. I just wanted to express my ideas for the future of the game and Risk has good thoughts for this one.

Risk
07-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Thx Gragon,
but they arent all my ideas..I was just spitting out what the game has instore...It'll all make sence when tribe building goes into effect..
Large sheetmail and Paddles..either its gunna be one kinky ride or a great one. :laugh:

aliksteel
07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Not sure if permission will be re-done on this next toon wipe, But if it does not go into the game this weekend.

I just thought to ask, As the permission deal is set right now, Can you make a toon that can make storage bins and the set them on the ground. Then delete that toon and make a new one using the same name and have permission to use the storage bins?

basically I am asking is the permission tied to the name or some character registry that wipes when we delete the character?

Virtus
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll give it a try, hold on.

However, I am guessing no since in the DB in prob references the character ID number and not the name.

Virtus
07-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Nope, doesn't work

aliksteel
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks Virtus