PDA

View Full Version : Why Tahoe?

ltwalters
09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Just was interested in what led the decision in basing the world of Xsyon in and around Lake Tahoe. I must say it has turned out quite astonishingly beautiful, but I'm simply curious as to why Tahoe turned out the basis for the world versus say Yellowstone, or Yosemite or any other myriad of breathtaking areas. Any conjuncture, suggestions or answers?

Cheers
ltwalts

Snake
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
I think I've read somewhere that Jordi lives there :cheer:

Kitsume
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Large lake - plus
Expansive wilderness - plus
Mountains - plus

One of my favorite vacation spots - double plus

Of course, Jooky's home at Lake Tahoe could be a factor

joexxxz
09-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Im not far away from lake tahoe. Plus plus plus :P

kiwibird
09-08-2010, 03:58 AM
While I don't say this in an official authority, I do think that 2012 is a good influence on the game. The first telling of such prophecies came from this area I believe.

Cunk
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
kiwibird wrote:

While I don't say this in an official authority, I do think that 2012 is a good influence on the game. The first telling of such prophecies came from this area I believe.
I thought 2012 was a Mayan thing? Not that the Mayans made predictions about 2012, just that the idiots that think something will happen in 2012 are basing it off Mayan calendars.

Virtus
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Cunk wrote:

kiwibird wrote:

I thought 2012 was a Mayan thing? Not that the Mayans made predictions about 2012, just that the idiots that think something will happen in 2012 are basing it off Mayan calendars.

Just asked my good friend hermyane and she said the world will blow up.

Ashanti
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Virtus wrote:

Just asked my good friend hermyane and she said the world will blow up.

Aww, Does this mean that we have maybe one year or so to play Xsyon before the world blows up? :(

P.S - Actually depending on when Xsyon launches, we may have like up to one year and a half or so to play. Especially if we keep playing like right up to the day before the world blows up. :huh: :dry:

kiwibird
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought 2012 was a Mayan thing? Not that the Mayans made predictions about 2012, just that the idiots that think something will happen in 2012 are basing it off Mayan calendars.Mayan Calendars where being used to explain this prophecy, the calendar themselves was based on Olmec calendars, but because of the "prophecies" the calendar is typically accredited to Mayans.

Without doing research into it (till now) I thought the Omlec where based around this area (the Tahoe basin), however they too where located in similar places as Mayan - dang it.

The "prophecies" themselves where not something that is easily researched, with many people trying to make money from the hype, it creates what I call "the Christianity effect" - to many people telling the same story with their own embellishments which distorts the truth.

What I concern from the information I didn't discredit is that the prophecies themselves aren't so much 'expressed' as they are interpreted. The calendar has been thou two cycles that was able to be at least partly completed, however the Mayan civilisation was wiped out by or for unknown reasons, and the calendar restarted.

It would be my theory that this is the prophecy - if the Mayan calendar completed its full cycle and the 'first' Mayan died for some reason, then the second time the calendar reaches its end point something else should happen.

Collect the fears of Christianity, Ancient Egypt and other "end of world" feelings into the mix and you have yourself one prophecy that humans have always felt from early in the ages.

What weight they convey is something I am always changing my mind on. One moment its like if they all say the same thing in their own way, there has to be some form of truth in it - Christianity, Ancients Tribes and other belief systems can't have gotten it wrong all the time - however what is the truth amongst the lie will never be able to be deciphered.

edit=1
Interesting 21 Dec 2012 at 11.11am GMT is the so called date and time for the prophecies.

Cunk
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
The Mayans weren't "destroyed". They still live throughout Central America. Maybe their civilization declined due to the Spanish conquering them but it's not like they suddenly disappeared mysteriously and without explanation.

Saying there is significance in the Mayan calendar "ending" in 2012 is like saying there is significance in the 2010 calendar ending in December.

Also, there is no such thing as prophecy. People can't predict the future.

KyleL
09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
?? The Mayan calendar was chosen to end because of astronomy. Where it ends the solar system shows unusual alignment with the galactic center. The reason this is thought to be potentially catastrophic is because it may act as a lay-line for cosmic radiation/energy. Even modern astronomers and scientists can't accurately predict what will happen - but the Earth has survived several such cycles and I doubt it blew up each time.

Personally I doubt anything 'big' will happen, maybe some strange magnetic readings, maybe the poles (north and south) will get jarred a little. The real reason that the Mayan calendar is amazing to me is their mastery of mathematic equations and astronomy - we didn't have the instruments to accurately predict this kind of phenomena until less than 100 years ago.

Does it mean the world will end? The Mayans believed the current 'age' would end and the world would start another. It was tied into their religious beliefs - and sadly for them the Jesuits burned all of their books which outlined everything about it.

I don't know anything about ties to the lake Tahoe basin, but ignoring the astronomy factor and the overlying cause of these 'doom prophecies' is a big oversight. The Mayans were right in predicting the alignment, whether the religious aspect of it was correct remains to be seen.

Shrimps
09-09-2010, 06:20 PM
The world is not going to blow up spontaeneously. More than likely they either just didn't see the use in making a calender 2000 years ahead of time or they were too busy getting massacred by the spanish to really care about a big rock.

Then there's my theory, that they were like "Joe C'mon man stop carving already, you're scaring off the babes"

Then again it could just mean the magnetic poles will shift as they've done in the past (no biggie).

There could be an ice age (little biggie).

Or it could be like the movie Pitch Black and the planet could go dark for 3 months and those creature things will kill us all (we got vin diesel and chuck norris, we're good)

Notice how none of these end with the world exploding? yeah that's because things the size of a planet don't just up and explode for no reason.

Cunk
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
None of those things will happen. Magnetic pole switches occur over thousands of years. Same with ice ages. 2013 will be just as exciting and eventful as 2000 (post-Y2K).

However, despite the reality of 2012, I'm not unaware that the stories are fertile ground for games and movies and probably whatever TV show comes out around then. So I can accept that part of it.

Snake
09-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Ah well, I've heard about this conspiracy theory some months ago while sitting in a bar. A not so unwise man told about it, it was a nice theme for the evening, and I laughed a lot - he didn't minded me at all, nice guy :)

Thinking in astronomic categories a thing like the earth is such a tiny something, so I'm not able to even theorize about what may happen if most of the planets of our solar-system are ligned up. Though the moon has some effects like tiding, I guess that the distance of the others are so much larger and gravity is loosing its influence drastically over distance.

However, I will have my towel with me on that day to be able to hitchhike :laugh:

PS: Another theory tells about a little fly spot that later then was analized as beeing a square, so the original number was 20122 :silly:

Kitsume
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
The end of the world has been prophesied for eons.

The world ended in 1000 (huge religious fervor, the first christian millennium ends)
The world ended in 1666 (year of the beast, bubonic plague was sweeping Europe and Asia)
The world ended on July 16, 1945 (when the atmosphere caught on fire)
The world ended on September 26, 1983 (almost, due to a computer glitch)
The world ended on Jan 1, 2000 (second millennium ends, Y2K bug)
The world will end on December 21, 2012 (mayan calendar)
The world will end in 5,000,000,000 (when the sun expands)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

KyleL
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
:S The Mayan culture had collapsed in on itself prior to the conquistadors showing up - the great cities were already abandoned. It's interesting in that the game we're all waiting to participate in uses a diasaster in 2012 as a premise point for the apocalypse that creates the situation our characters are in... And yet we're all kind of "what?".

celestial_fury
09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Kitsume wrote:

The world ended in 1000 (huge religious fervor, the first christian millennium ends)
The world ended in 1666 (year of the beast, bubonic plague was sweeping Europe and Asia)
The world ended on July 16, 1945 (when the atmosphere caught on fire)
The world ended on September 26, 1983 (almost, due to a computer glitch)
The world ended on Jan 1, 2000 (second millennium ends, Y2K bug)
The world will end on December 21, 2012 (mayan calendar)

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

This

:woohoo:

Cunk
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Kitsume wrote:

This is the only one that has any merit since it's true. Although no one has pinpointed date like that.

But we'll be long gone before then anyway.

joexxxz
09-10-2010, 05:52 PM
CUNK I wanted to tell u this long time ago, but i think now is the time. Your profile picture doesnt make sense.
Jesus is a serious man, and not like u showing it.
Bad boy you are!

Cunk
09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Why would you think Jesus never laughed in his life? I'm sure his whole life didn't suck.

Anyway, if you're still not happy take it up with the guy who's responsible for the image:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5362/grizzlyadamst.jpg

(the one on the left)

ltwalters
09-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Wow, I really started a landslide of conspiracy theory and astronomical philosophy... Whoops

KyleL
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
^ ^ Discourse is never bad, but I have to admit we haven't done much to answer your original question.

I for one am happy that the setting and geography are realistic instead of just manufactured, I appreciate the effort and attention to detail.