PDA

View Full Version : How about soloplayer type?

Polan
03-06-2010, 02:20 AM
I found link to this game on Wurm online site, and I'm getting interested in it. But I'm solo type of player (in wurm for example, I always live solo, my small little paradaside in forest).
Feature list of xsyon talk alot about tribes building etc. But can solo player live/build/craft without having to join tribe?

ps. and when you will let paypal payments ?

darkrounge
03-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Yes. They can do everything you've stated above.
You don't necessarily need to join a tribe to be able to use those features.

edaw22
03-06-2010, 02:34 AM
darkrounge wrote:

Actually i can remember multiple quotes from Xsyon that suggest you do need to be in a tribe to construct buildings and make a town of any kind.

Most other things you should be able to do though.

P.S I do remember a quote saying that in the future they will look into allowing solo players to make houses.

darkrounge
03-06-2010, 02:36 AM
I think he stated building Weapons.
But if it was building then no, only the tribal leader can do that.

Cradlejoe
03-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Wurm is such a great game to solo on, it's the sense of achievement that you get at the end that makes it so much fun :)

But I doubt that Xsyon will be soloable. It just doesn't seem to fit. BUT! I'm going to give it a try anyway :P

Oakstead
03-06-2010, 03:15 AM
I don't think this game will soloable at launch do to the player killer risk although it may be soloable later when it gets good territory control which I suspect will happen. A tribe or its town will not be able to protect its farms without some sort of automated defense.

Siko
03-06-2010, 03:36 AM
It's answered here: http://www.xsyon.com/forums/6-general-discussion/504-soloable

The prelude is focused on tribes. Later on there might be more options available for solo players.

r0ss0
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Pay a tribe a small fee or a one off fee to live on their lands :) - Perhaps you will gain protection to

Kush
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Yea, I don't think you'd be able to build a town single handedly.

MrDDT
03-06-2010, 09:05 AM
darkrounge wrote:

Solo players CAN NOT build tribes. You must have min of 10 members of a tribe to start using the tribe options.

Tribes work as towns. Think of it like this, if you live in NYC, you are part of NYC tribe (bound to the NYC totem and follow the rules of said totem)

If you want to be solo, you will have some options but nothing like a tribe has to tear down trees and build up land.

Solo play is going to be harder and more focus later. Expect to be a member of some type of city/town (tribe) at first then you can strike out on your own.

NearlyDeparted
03-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I think Prelude is meant to bring people together and create gaming hubs in the world. Later as the hubs stabilize, we can get into more solo type play. Most of your pre-order and day 1 buyers will be MMO junkies who are used to group interaction.

BLinDDeniaL
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Here are my 2 cents:

I believe that not all people would be surrounded by other people after an apocalypse and that there will be some people who are isolated. As such I think it would add realism to Xsyon if players could put up a tent or build a shanty to live in until they "find" other survivors. From there they can choose to continue their hermit life styles or join up with a tribe.

That way it gives players who aren't yet part of a tribe an opportunity to establish something of their own which they can call home until they find a tribe which they want to join. I think that this will address some of the main aspects of solo play that have been highlighted on the forums.

I envision this suggestion as such: you find yourself all alone and then go about ensuring your survival. You start off gathering materials to build shelter and then see to fresh water and food. This would be obtained via gathering berries, hunting game or fishing. Once the basic necessities are taken care of, the person will start improving the camp with skins, utensils, Terra-forming the land around the camp and creating protection or improve hunting tools/fishing tools.

From there he could explore and discover other survivors doing the same thing. They then move to a location and slowly gather more and more people and eventually form a tribe.

I think this would be the ideal introduction into a game like Xsyon aiding immersion and providing an interesting new player experience.

Bazookatooth
05-12-2010, 06:56 AM
BLinDDeniaL wrote:

Here are my 2 cents:

I believe that not all people would be surrounded by other people after an apocalypse and that there will be some people who are isolated. As such I think it would add realism to Xsyon if players could put up a tent or build a shanty to live in until they "find" other survivors. From there they can choose to continue their hermit life styles or join up with a tribe.

That way it gives players who aren't yet part of a tribe an opportunity to establish something of their own which they can call home until they find a tribe which they want to join. I think that this will address some of the main aspects of solo play that have been highlighted on the forums.

I envision this suggestion as such: you find yourself all alone and then go about ensuring your survival. You start off gathering materials to build shelter and then see to fresh water and food. This would be obtained via gathering berries, hunting game or fishing. Once the basic necessities are taken care of, the person will start improving the camp with skins, utensils, Terra-forming the land around the camp and creating protection or improve hunting tools/fishing tools.

From there he could explore and discover other survivors doing the same thing. They then move to a location and slowly gather more and more people and eventually form a tribe.

I think this would be the ideal introduction into a game like Xsyon aiding immersion and providing an interesting new player experience.

Just getting into Xsyon so behind the times, but I think this is a very valid and immersive point. But I guess it depends on where characters start out at. In reality mistrust will be a survivalists response to anyone they come across. Yes they would be excited to learn there are other survivors, but scared as hell as well.

Ashanti
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I just stumbled into this thread and just wanted to add that if you are looking for a tribe that is solo/casual friendly, please consider the Nomads of Xsyon when looking for a tribe to call home. The Nomads of Xsyon were specifically designed to support players who prefer to play solo or have a more casual player type play style.

I, myself, go to school full time and, for the most part, have a full plate of chores and commitments that keep me really busy irl. I know many players are similarly busy which is why the Nomads of Xsyon where born. One of the best things about our tribe is that we act as a support group for each other for those instances when group play is required. So that when you are looking for players to turn to in those moments when you want company, or for those instances in which you will need help to complete a group quest, activity, or event, we will be there for each other to accomplish those tasks.

By design, our tribe structure is very "free-spirited" and relaxed. It does not require anyone to make unreasonable commitments of labor or time. Our motto is basically "do whatever you like, whenever you like, and however like."

If this sounds like you, then the Nomads of Xsyon are one option for a tribe to call home. Thank you.

Farmerbob
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I was wandering around in the green mist yesterday, and that stuff is pea soup thick.

It might be possible to simply live a nomad's life at the edge of the map and run into the mist to escape ambushers you can't fight off.

However bigger nastier creatures will be living there I believe, so fight skill and armor will likely need some work before this becomes viable.

Virtus
05-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Farmerbob wrote:

It might be possible to simply live a nomad's life at the edge of the map and run into the mist to escape ambushers you can't fight off.

However bigger nastier creatures will be living there I believe, so fight skill and armor will likely need some work before this becomes viable.

You forgot one major downside....the mist will be set to drain your health.

Chile
05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
From what I have read this is not so much a solo game. I am sure some will try but it's meant as a social team PvP sandbox MMO. I could be wrong but from what I have read and what peeps have told me in game, tribes will be necessary.

What Virtus said about the green mist, it will eliminate people running into it away from PvP encounters.

Ashanti
05-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Virtus wrote:

Farmerbob wrote:

You forgot one major downside....the mist will be set to drain your health.

It seems you may have thwarted Mr. Farmerbob's intent to keep the nomad population in check, Virtus. If so, you have saved nomad lives with the above warning. No doubt, we would have eventually come to the same conclusion, but it would have been at the cost of a dwindling nomad population.

Mr. Farmerbob? Explain yourself sir. Far be it from the nomads to question the intent behind your advice. Is a summoms before a Nomad Council in your future?

Snake
05-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Ashanti wrote:

The Nomads of Xsyon were specifically designed to support players who prefer to play solo or have a more casual player type play style.
... I know many players are similarly busy which is why the Nomads of Xsyon where born. One of the best things about our tribe is that we act as a support group for each other for those instances when group play is required. So that when you are looking for players to turn to in those moments when you want company, or for those instances in which you will need help to complete a group quest, activity, or event, we will be there for each other to accomplish those tasks.

That is exactly the reason I have chosen the Nomads of beeing my favourite tribe. B)

Ashanti
05-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Snake wrote:

That is exactly the reason I have chosen the Nomads of beeing my favourite tribe. B)

Thank you Snake and welcome to the tribe :)

Saeb
07-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I think this is something to seriously take into consideration. One thing I loved about Haven and Hearth is I could wander off miles and miles in any direction and fine my own little corner by the river.

I would start by plugging away at a few baskets to store things in and with a little elbow grease and a campfire or two I could eventually clear chop my own little nook in the world and build my own little cabin. It took time, but it was possible with determination.

The feeling of solitude and accomplishment when you can form your own piece of paradise is definitely worth allowing in this game. Even if we cannot build real structures at least let us hermits have a decent yurt (tent) or at the very least a leanto. Even the ability to build fences. (honestly I'd like to be able to see the ability to clear land/plow/laystone and even lowgrade terraforming outside the limits of a tribe, but I'll take what I can get.)

Of course there's a risk associated with this survivalist experience, but it's worth it. You have to be clever and you'll end up quite tough and rough around the edges.

Fences, small dwellings, all doable.

Bossman
07-09-2010, 08:09 AM
You could always live in a tree or a under a tree stump... sounds really fun :unsure:

frogeye
07-10-2010, 12:52 AM
@Saeb: Yes, I agree, solo players should have some possibilities too. But you may check out the Nomads of Xsyon tribe, the roster tells to be a homestead for solo player too.

REVKhA
07-10-2010, 02:40 AM
I have a deep hate for people invading Massive multi-player online begging for soloer type environements , not everything is group-only in mmo's , that does not mean everything should be soloable. 2 minds are better than 1, and teamwork will make you progress in this game, it's in the feature list. That's how you play a ROLE within a society.

At some point you will be able to play some free account in some roaming Bear , until i kill you to feed my tribe.

Ever thought that you might just experience solo play trough tribe life anyways ?

Saeb
07-10-2010, 05:19 AM
REVKhA wrote:

I have a deep hate for people invading Massive multi-player online begging for soloer type environements , not everything is group-only in mmo's , that does not mean everything should be soloable. 2 minds are better than 1, and teamwork will make you progress in this game, it's in the feature list. That's how you play a ROLE within a society.

At some point you will be able to play some free account in some roaming Bear , until i kill you to feed my tribe.

Ever thought that you might just experience solo play trough tribe life anyways ?

Did you even read the thread?

The point of this type of game is to play and develop how you want to, the more artificial constraints you have the further from that vision you get.

What would stop me from going out and camping in the forest while I raise my foraging skills? Maybe I like it there and want to build my own outpost?

Does that make it a single player game?

I honestly think the term soloable has no place in this kind of game anyway. It's an old mindset of linear leveling paths, quest-lines and point A to point B raiding systems.

This is more of an existence with so many facets that to pidgeon hole yourself into TRIBE vs SOLO would severely cripple your potential to experience what can actually happen in a world as open and wonderful as Xsyon.

GDWhite
07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Saeb wrote:

Did you even read the thread?
There is no hope for the ignorant, Saeb