PDA

View Full Version : New site is

tredo
11-29-2010, 05:47 AM
New site is great, working very smooth and has a great look to it.

REVKhA
11-29-2010, 10:04 AM
kool forums

trenixdecease
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
New site has also its downsides.

REVKhA
11-29-2010, 10:07 AM
no more animated gifs... i miss my crow's already

Virtus
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
New site has also its downsides.

like?

Virtus
11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
no more animated gifs... i miss my crow's already

fixed, still got some tweaks and over sites to fix here and there.

Cradlejoe
11-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Very snazzy :D
Now I need to but my Avatar back and all that hoo-haa

Xx1327
11-29-2010, 03:31 PM
it is pretty nice. should change the limit on sigs tho cause now mine is too big to use, and i lost my old avatar no idea where to find it again T_T

Trekkan
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
What is the limit you were hitting, characters, file size or dimensions? There's still things to tweak so it's more of a "what do we need?" as opposed to some of the defaults.

trenixdecease
11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
like?

Like the hard to read text in the "My Profile" link. Also, the missing similes which was uncalled for and the features that most of us expected but never seemed to make it. Personally, this new forums really didn't change a thing in my opinion. Maybe it's just something that I'm not noticing...

Trekkan
11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Like the hard to read text in the "My Profile" link. Also, the missing similes which was uncalled for and the features that most of us expected but never seemed to make it. Personally, this new forums really didn't change a thing in my opinion. Maybe it's just something that I'm not noticing...

The profile will be fixed, that's a known vB bug, not like it'll remain that way...

Smilies? I'll look into it, they shouldn't be gone.

What did you expect and not get?

I mean, really, it's a work in progress like anything.

Diocletian
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
The profile thing is known bug. The person that did the theming is aware of it. As for similes I'll ask him to look into it ;)

EDIT: NVM He is already here.

Trekkan
11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok, so found the issue here, probably a few more really. I'll need to work out the why and do a perm fix, but here's how you can fix it yourselves now.

Go here: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Set the settings the way you want them. Looks like during the import, these settings don't get set to the default as specified in the vB config. Specifically change your edited to "WYSIWYG" and you'll have the smilies back. Change whatever else there to your liking as well.

trenixdecease
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
The profile will be fixed, that's a known vB bug, not like it'll remain that way...

Smilies? I'll look into it, they shouldn't be gone.

What did you expect and not get?

I mean, really, it's a work in progress like anything.

I wanna have the ability to delete my posts without having a moderator do that for me. Maybe not posts, but at least topics. I've managed to show smilies, thanks for that tip. I've also seen recently a bug were some responses have a cut box. Let me know if you want a screenshot. By the way, more smilies would be nice... ;)

Trekkan
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
While deleting your own posts is possible, that's not my call to make. You'll need to ask Xsyon about that if he wants me to, he'll tell me to change it. =)

And yes, any screenshots of issues would be good. I know of several, but nothing points to a problem better than a picture.

I'll see about more smilies, but it'll be a bit lower on the list.

Trekkan
11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Profile should be fixed now. Please let me know if you see any more issues with them.

MrDDT
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Good job on the new site.

trenixdecease
11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I must admit, I'm starting to see a difference. I've been taking advantage of the multiple quote feature. Also, I've noticed that you're able to delete responses, but not threads. But there is a thing that I don't like, when you're in a forum or thread, it no longer says who's browsing at the top of the page. Instead, it says it at the bottom. I'd prefer it to be at the top since no one really looks at the bottom. It's a pain scrolling down every time...

As for the bug, here's an image.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5865/boxes.png

Notice the box at the top is cut. It usually fixes up after you highlight it. Oh and one more thing, I think the text boxes are too small for when you go to "advanced" response as well as if you were making a new thread. Nice profile view update by the way.

Trekkan
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Hmm, I've never seen that issue before... what browser and version of it are you using? Can you try a different browser and see if it happens in that one? That'll help me figure out if it's browser specific and what one/version.

Thanks!

trenixdecease
11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Hmm, I've never seen that issue before... what browser and version of it are you using? Can you try a different browser and see if it happens in that one? That'll help me figure out if it's browser specific and what one/version.

Thanks!

I'm using Internet Explorer 8. My cousin has the exact same computer as me, I'll ask him to check out the forums when he gets home. He favors Firefox over Internet Explorer unlike me. I also found another bug in this thread. On my screen, on my #18 post, it says "when you're you're in a forum or thread". When I go to edit it, you're doesn't repeat itself twice. Think it has something to do with my resolution and the fact that it's being cut off to the next line?

Kinslayer
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
The scheme is growing on me, good job with the integration of the accounts.

Two things I would like to see if possible...
1/ A linktree at the foot of the page. It is an annoyance to have to scroll back to the top of the page to return to the previous page of the forum.
2/ A quick reply option. I had a look and couldnt find this option. The old forum had this option, and SMF forums also have the option which just puts a box at the bottom of the page to type in and hit submit, no clicking "reply to thread" first. Again, this is just a minor annoyance, I would be more concerned with a linktree at the foot of the page.

Edit: oh, and I think when uploading a sigpic from a url link, the size is much smaller than when you browse to it from your own pc. When I uploaded my sigpic, it wouldnt allow me to do it via the url option, saying it was too large, yet it allowed me to do it when I browsed to the file on my pc.

Diocletian
11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
The scheme is growing on me, good job with the integration of the accounts.

Two things I would like to see if possible...
1/ A linktree at the foot of the page. It is an annoyance to have to scroll back to the top of the page to return to the previous page of the forum.
2/ A quick reply option. I had a look and couldnt find this option. The old forum had this option, and SMF forums also have the option which just puts a box at the bottom of the page to type in and hit submit, no clicking "reply to thread" first. Again, this is just a minor annoyance, I would be more concerned with a linktree at the foot of the page.

Edit: oh, and I think when uploading a sigpic from a url link, the size is much smaller than when you browse to it from your own pc. When I uploaded my sigpic, it wouldnt allow me to do it via the url option, saying it was too large, yet it allowed me to do it when I browsed to the file on my pc.
About number 2, if you hit the reply on any post, it will send you to the bottom with a quick reply box. Or at least it does for me. You have to hit the go advance button to get the full page editor. Also if you use the full WYSIWYG editor you get the smilies. Set the editor type in your profile.

Trekkan
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Will do on the breadcrumbs (link tree as you call it), I use this on my own site, but it's not a native function so I didn't think about readding it in.

For the reply, check what Diocletian said, the editor being defaulted is considered "basic" and you probably aren't seeing all of the functionality actually available. (Click Settings, General Settings on the left).

I'll increase the size of the images a bit, once I do , you'll have to reupload your image again as they get resized (which is why it worked when you uploaded it, but not linked to it). I'll post here again when I make that change (at work right now, will do it when I get home).

trenixdecease
11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Another thing that I dislike, "Reply", "Reply With Quote", and "Reply to Thread" all start a Quick Reply box. In my opinion, the "Reply to Thread" button should start an advanced reply box. I wanna be able to use Multi-Quote without having it all pile up in my quick reply box and than having me to go click on "Go Advanced".

Trekkan
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Another thing that I dislike, "Reply", "Reply With Quote", and "Reply to Thread" all start a Quick Reply box. In my opinion, the "Reply to Thread" button should start an advanced reply box. I wanna be able to use Multi-Quote without having it all pile up in my quick reply box and than having me to go click on "Go Advanced".

When I click the "Reply to Thread" it does open up in the advanced editor. Did you set your editor to WYSIWYG in the settings?

Trekkan
11-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean. It is another click, but... that's how vB works. To change it would require hacking on it and while I'm not against that at all (several things get hacked on), I'll backburner it as something to look into as it would be much nicer if it functioned that way.

trenixdecease
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I've got one of my friends to test out the forums with firefox. He said that there wasn't any cut off boxes like the image that I've showed you. I'm assuming it's something to do with Internet Explorer 8.

Trekkan
11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I've got one of my friends to test out the forums with firefox. He said that there wasn't any cut off boxes like the image that I've showed you. I'm assuming it's something to do with Internet Explorer 8.

Cool, thanks for the info!

kiwibird
12-01-2010, 01:11 AM
On New Posts (http://www.xsyon.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post) view, the numbers and text for the page are outside the bordered zone (top right of screen).

And I do love the forums! They are very smart.

Trekkan
12-01-2010, 09:48 AM
On New Posts (http://www.xsyon.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post) view, the numbers and text for the page are outside the bordered zone (top right of screen).

And I do love the forums! They are very smart.

Good catch! I'll get that fixed too, it's on my "list", which is a pretty decent sized list at the moment, but all minor so far (thankfully. hehe). Glad you like the new forums!

trenixdecease
12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Just wondering, can't you just add another button next to "Reply to Thread" being "Quick Rely"? So there would be at two options or would you have to hack that as well?

Virtus
12-01-2010, 10:24 AM
everything we do is a hack to the system, the more hacks we do the harder it is when it comes to update the system. In this case there is nothing broken and it works just fine, it just requires one extra click

double clicking the reply to thread button takes to straight to the advanced editor.

trenixdecease
12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
double clicking the reply to thread button takes to straight to the advanced editor.

It doesn't work with the "Reply to Thread" button, it only works with the "Reply" and "Reply With Quote" buttons. However, I never knew that, thanks for that info.

Virtus
12-01-2010, 11:34 AM
prokop, you mean besides the forum/thread markers right?

i'll be dealing with the sig size in a sec, thanks for showing me its not set properly :)

Found 2 mods that I like and 1 that everyone will like and 1 that prokop will hate me for:

First is a mod that will display number of unread posts: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168303

Second is an external sig image size limiter: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137167

I know there are a few things from this site missing that the old one had like the number of posts unread. vBulletin has a ton of mods that we can add to make it fell more homie if you find a mod that you think would benefit the site link it here. Mods from the 4.0 section are preferred but we can use some from the 3.0 area

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Xx1327
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM
What is the limit you were hitting, characters, file size or dimensions? There's still things to tweak so it's more of a "what do we need?" as opposed to some of the defaults.

just says remote file is too large this is the link im attempting to upload

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/uglychaospunx/Untitled-1-2.png

kiwibird
12-03-2010, 06:46 PM
The "what new" button distorts when you are in that view, a bar along the top of the image.